Wedding Woes

Today's 4 men...

Dear Prudence,

My husband’s always been an avid gamer, but for the last couple of years it’s been an issue of contention in our marriage. He games from the time he comes home until bedtime. Sometimes he’ll help with dinner. We eat together for five to 10 minutes while he gets up to check his games, unless I put a movie on. When he’s not working, he games from 7 a.m. to 10 or 11 p.m. I play video games too, so I understand the appeal, but I try to limit my time to an hour or two a day. Lately the only way I can get time with him is if I suggest we play a game together, but I don’t want that to be my only option. We’ve been married for three years and both want to start a family, but I worry he’ll be a neglectful father and put the workload of parenting on me. He’s helpful when I ask for something, but he gets tunnel vision over his games and leaves household management to me. It’s also becoming less likely we will have a child when he games every night. We only have sex once or twice a month now, and I have to initiate it every time.

I’ve tried talking to him about how I feel. I’ve asked him to set a schedule for his gaming. I’ve asked him to limit gaming to four nights a week. I’ve asked him for one date night a week. I’ve suggested couples counseling. His reactions range from apologetic with a promise to do better (which doesn’t last), to sleeping on the couch and threatening to give up gaming entirely. I’m becoming exhausted from having the same conversation over and over. I’m willing to change whatever I need to make our marriage work, and I’ve gone to counseling alone in the past. I’m just not sure he’s willing to do the same. Is there anything else I can do?

—Second Fiddle to Second Life

Re: Today's 4 men...

• Nope.

You need to talk and highlight the things that need to be done.  That does not mean he doesn't get to play games but NFW would this work in my life.  How old are you where this is what he's doing and you don't talk about yard or housework or anything else?  

"I understand that you want to have time to play [name of game].  In the meantime, this is the list of things that need to be done.  When I see you playing while I'm left to do these things myself it makes me resentful.  What is the plan that we can put in place so we can move forward?" 

If there's no action I'd move to counseling.  If there's no action after the counseling, I'd move to a divorce attorney. 
  • Dtmfa.

It sounds stupid but gaming was a HTDO for me. Couldn't, wouldn't, date a gamer. There is no way I would stick around to be ignored.
  • I feel like the gamers I knew did this when we were in our young 20s.  Then they got jobs and stopped doing it during their free time. 

Because divorce can be costly I'd give it a bit of time.  If this was pre-marriage I'd absolutely say GTFO and DTMFA. 
  • I'd DTMFA. 

There's nothing inherently wrong with gaming. It's a hobby like any other. The problem is when it interferes with the rest of your life. This dude has taken it way too far. LW has tried talking and has asked for counselling. Dude responds with avoidance, half-hearted apologizing or going to the extreme "I'll never game again!" (with no intention to stop gaming). He's not a partner and has no intention to be one. 
  • DH isn't a "gamer" but does play games on his phone and definitely has retreated more and more into his phone and those games to avoid childcare or reality tbh. If it is already a struggle for LW now you can most likely bet that it will just get worse when a kid is in the picture, he likely wont suddenly stop gaming and be all in on the family. 
  • I don't know if the LW is there yet, but this would be deal-breaker time for me.  As in, couples counseling and he makes an earnest effort to wean himself from the constant gaming, or it's time to leave the relationship/divorce.

Bottom line, the H is not ready to and does not want to change.  Until he is ready to do that, and he might never be, this is exactly what the LW's marriage will always look like.

Above all else, do NOT have a child with this man.  Unless the LW doesn't mind essentially being a single parent.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • M is a gamer and we have a toddler. Has he had changes since BK was born? 100% yes. He mostly games at night. Sometimes when we get home between dinner and BK bed time, but if I cook then he's not doing games that involve too much focus because BK also needs to be watched {she's in front of him}

But after much discussion, we both have figured out a balance. If i say M needs to get off and do XYZ - he won't fight me. He knows he has to be a responsible adult. Will I let him get to a point of saving? Yes. Or at least pausing.
  • DTMFA.

This is an addiction and he's refusing help.  It's not going to get better and it can get far worse.  This was one of exH's issues and it definitely helped ruin our relationship.  I did even get into gaming to try and salvage it and while I still game and love video games, I ditched the H.
  • Nope. Get a divorce and stop wasting your life 
  • Casadena said:
    LW should read the Care and Feeding LW from a few days ago

https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/01/husband-wont-parent-care-and-feeding.html
    Care and Feeding is my go-to column to read on my lunches!

That's a chilling letter!  It is where the LW is headed if they continue on and have a child with this guy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Casadena said:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/01/husband-wont-parent-care-and-feeding.html

That's a chilling letter!  It is where the LW is headed if they continue on and have a child with this guy.
    I am aghast that she’s pregnant with #2. I can’t help but wonder if it was planned or not.  She definitely needs to leave and get all the child support she can. Not being able to trust the other parent with your child has to be so stressful and infuriating. 

As much as parenting was a sore subject for a long time between DH and me regarding the kiddo (which looking back, there’s a lot of things we’ve learned and forgiven each other for), one of DH’s best qualities is being an involved and awesome dad.  I am a worry wart (hi catastrophic anxiety), but I’ve truly never had to worry for a second that DH was negligent or inattentive toward the kids. He sometimes stresses more than me, which always catches me off guard, lol. 
  • Run girl. 

I was with a guy like this in my 20s. Never again. He was constantly glued to a video game. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Casadena said:

I am aghast that she’s pregnant with #2. I can’t help but wonder if it was planned or not.  She definitely needs to leave and get all the child support she can. Not being able to trust the other parent with your child has to be so stressful and infuriating. 

I lived it for the first 18 months of B's life and it is both stressful and infuriating. I can't believe this LW is having a second after what she's dealt with in the first. My guess is the SO has depression, possibly something tied to PPD, especially if he wasn't like that before. Clearly he doesn't want to parent and retreats into his games to avoid reality and the responsibility of being a parent. Run LW Run.  And as hard as it feels now to leave, it will feel harder the longer you wait bc you will get used to it and even if you don't like it, there's comfort in the devil you know.