Wedding Woes

Lack of Motivation to Plan

Im getting married in September and I have very little finished or even started for the wedding. It’s like when I try to work on something I have no motivation or drive. I do have a bridal party but I feel like I’m bothering them when I text about a million different things. None of them live in the same town as I do and I feel like they aren’t excited to help me plan this wedding at all. I guess that’s why I don’t feel like planning anything; because I’m so overwhelmed with everything. Has anyone else felt this way?

Re: Lack of Motivation to Plan

• Im getting married in September and I have very little finished or even started for the wedding. It’s like when I try to work on something I have no motivation or drive. I do have a bridal party but I feel like I’m bothering them when I text about a million different things. None of them live in the same town as I do and I feel like they aren’t excited to help me plan this wedding at all. I guess that’s why I don’t feel like planning anything; because I’m so overwhelmed with everything. Has anyone else felt this way?
    I think it’s normal to feel overwhelmed; the whole wedding industry makes you think you need a million things you don’t and if they’re not perfect the day will be ruined. None of that is true. Focus on the things you truly need; a marriage license + someone to marry you, something to wear, food. Anything else is extra. 

Your bridal party doesn’t have to help you plan, and they can’t be expected to get you excited about your own wedding. If they offer to help- great you’re free to take them up on the offer but planning is you and your FI’s responsibility, no one else’s. 
  • Im getting married in September and I have very little finished or even started for the wedding. It’s like when I try to work on something I have no motivation or drive. I do have a bridal party but I feel like I’m bothering them when I text about a million different things. None of them live in the same town as I do and I feel like they aren’t excited to help me plan this wedding at all. I guess that’s why I don’t feel like planning anything; because I’m so overwhelmed with everything. Has anyone else felt this way?
    I definitely felt this way planning a wedding that I didn't really want. I wanted immediate family only followed by dinner out, DH was the one who wanted a big party. So I basically planned the parts I wanted and told him to do anything else that was important to him. (It didn't work, I still basically researched and picked everything but that was because I had time and he didn't.)

That being said, it is not your BM's responsibility to plan you and your FI's wedding. If you are feeling overwhelmed, google/pinterest a Wedding Planning Checklist. It will help you identify what you "need" and what you can do without. (All you need is a marriage certificate, a consenting spouse, maybe an officiant, and maybe some witnesses. Everything else is fluff.) Have you and your FI figured out basics like a budget, guest list, and type of wedding you want? Those are good places to start.
  • Agree with the other PPs that you shouldn't be asking your WP to do anything, unless they offer help.

If you haven't already, make a list of the tasks you need to accomplish.  It can feel overwhelming to say to yourself, "Must plan wedding."  But if you break that down into more manageable things to do, you will start making headway.  It also might help to motivate you, when you see that things are being accomplished.  And don't forget to break up the list with your FI.  It's their wedding also and you'll get twice as much done.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker