Wedding Woes

Well it's WEDNESDAY

Book club last night was great, it was one of those "good for the soul" type of things. And one neighbor came since it was outside - she hasn't attended in the last year unless it was an outside gathering so I'm glad we were able to do it. I like how we were wrapping up around 9pm and then an hour later still going strong. 

Re: Well it's WEDNESDAY

• I have committed to a super active month (trying to at least hop on the Peloton every day to get more in a rhythm with it and I have a dance performance coming up so most weeks I will have dance 5 or 6 days a week) and man do I need to be taking better care of my body to support this. More sleep, more water, and wondering if collagen makes sense to try. 
  • @STARMOON44 what kind of dance performance? 
  • I love those kinds of gatherings! You just feel better for days after. 

The soccer team we follow had their first game of the season yesterday. It was a nice win after some fuckery, so we enjoyed watching that last night. Limited capacity attendance games will start here soon. Since we'll be fully vaccinated, we'll probably go. 

It's another beautiful day here, but we're expecting storms tomorrow and into the weekend. I'm hoping to go for a walk on lunch or right after work. Nothing much else going on. 
  • Non-essentials in box stores are about to be blocked off. I know in other provinces it's caused some uproar because of racial issues {ex: blocking black hair products and leaving white hair products available}

Tbh this won't affect us much as we've been doing walmart pick up for our groceries and only going in for stuff they say they don't have {which they always do and it's annoying a.f - like diapers}

I just sent our taxes in to be done by our tax dept and we've already had a minor talk about the return and how we're just going to likely pool our money together and deal that way.
    For example, if between us we get $3,000 then we split $1,500 each
    Large chunk must go to savings and debt, but can put small amount aside for personal decision.

BK currently doesn't need anything, so I think we're good for that. Likely next year we'll be putting that money towards her room. Tbh I'm half anticipating some of that savings going towards a mattress for M & I  soon
  • All the good thoughts for a safe delivery @ILoveBeachMusic!! How exiting! 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2021
    So glad it was a good turn out @kvruns
    @STARMOON44, I salute you to your peleton devotion. I’ve been so lazy lately.

my sister said her 5 yr old daughter asked if she could walk dogs.  My sister said when she turns 12 she can.  My neice loves animals and dogs like NO OTHER.  If you saw her with a dog, you’d ask “why haven’t you given this girl a dog yet?”.  Anyway, she wanted to make her flyer now.  It says “if you have a dog I will walk it”. That’s it.  No pictures.  No gimmicks.  Straight to the point. 😂  But seriously, give the girl a dog.

If your niece lived closer to me, I would hire her in a second!  Since she is only 5, she could "help me" walk my dog and throw Izzy's ball in the backyard.

I've mentioned before that the tenant for my personal duplex sometimes rents it out on AirBnB.  

There have occasionally been funny scenarios with AirBnB people and Izzy.  It's a shared, fully fenced in backyard and we let Izzy roam free in it whenever she wants to.  

If AirBnB guests are hanging out in their patio, Izzy will make a beeline for them.  With her ball in her mouth.  She has no shame.  She doesn't care she hasn't met them.  

People = instant BFFs who will throw my ball for me.

Sorry for the bold and weird formatting.  For some reason, WW is making my font the tiniest and the only way I could figure out to make it bigger was using the "Format" button and then "Heading 2".

Edited:  Hmmm.  It's only on my end the font is tiny.  I noticed when it posted that it looked normal.  But then I couldn't take change the "Heading 2".  I'm just going to give up now, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Feeling really bummed today because I already got a rejection from that job that I was super interested in (and very qualified for).  I really hope that internal recruiters actually looked at my stuff - I don't think that they are often the best people to be the first line of review for applications.  I know it would be a super weird time to try and switch jobs, but I was really hoping for a conversation at least.  Oh well. 

Trying to muster the energy to finish some work stuff and log off early!  Super long weekend for me and I'm excited.  Hoping H will go to the office for at least part of the next 2 days so I can have the house to myself for awhile.  

Anyone have a breast pump they really like?  I have the Spectra S2 and it was fine (not overly comfy, but got the job done).  I have different insurance so I qualify for a range of free ones again so i'm going to try another brand.  There is a Medela one (pump in style, not the more popular freestyle), lansinoh, ameda, and some other brands i've never heard of.  Just curious about anyone's experience.  

Glad your book club was great last night @kvruns
  • that's cool @STARMOON44  this might be silly, but you can't touch each other in the classes but you can for the recital, right? 
  • @MissKittyDanger, I'm sorry to hear things have become so serious in your province!  I hope the numbers get back under control soon.  In the US, for the most part, they didn't block any products for stores that were allowed to be open during those phases.  And that is some serious and shocking f**kery with blocking off any kind of hair products...because, duh, very essential...much less hair products targeted to a racial demographic.  

@ILoveBeachMusic, that's so exciting!!!  Ts and Ps the delivery goes smoothly and mom and baby are healthy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Can you reach out to the recruiter and ask what you could have done differently to be considered @Casadena? I’m hiring for my team right now and the recruiters have so much gate-keeping power over what we as hiring managers actually get to see. 

I have the Spectra S1 that I like because it has a rechargeable battery so I don’t have to be attached to a wall plug. I had to change some of the phalanges to find ones that were more comfortable. If I could get a second one I’d probably try one of the wearable/ hands free like the Willow or Elvis to supplement a regular pump. There were (still are) times where being attached to a pump was hard and having the wearable would have been nice. 
  • kvruns said:
    that's cool @STARMOON44  this might be silly, but you can't touch each other in the classes but you can for the recital, right? 
    So you can dance with one partner, which I will be doing for 2 dances, and then the other 2 are group dances doing ballroom steps but alone no touching. It sounds weird but we’ve gotten used to it
  • @short+sassy It was Manitoba, which unfortunately are kinda known for racism - more towards indigenous people. When it hit social media, the manager of that store was like "oh idk what happened - etc etc" and fixed it right away but I think they just backtracked. *eye roll*
    Ontario and Quebec are apparently the worst - Atlantic provinces are fully open and maybe 10 cases a week now.

We're in definitely a better spot than some places but good lord they need to pick a fkn lane.
  • Casadena said:
    Can you reach out to the recruiter and ask what you could have done differently to be considered @Casadena? I’m hiring for my team right now and the recruiters have so much gate-keeping power over what we as hiring managers actually get to see. 

I have the Spectra S1 that I like because it has a rechargeable battery so I don’t have to be attached to a wall plug. I had to change some of the phalanges to find ones that were more comfortable. If I could get a second one I’d probably try one of the wearable/ hands free like the Willow or Elvis to supplement a regular pump. There were (still are) times where being attached to a pump was hard and having the wearable would have been nice. 
    I applied on the company website and it didn't list anyone specific, so I'm not even sure who I would reach out to to ask.  It feels a little weird to track down who I'm pretty sure the role would report to and reach out directly, but maybe that's just me?  Hiring is such a clustf**k.  If I were a hiring manager I would insist on seeing every application submitted.  I know it's so much time and stuff to sift through, but there are so many things that a hiring manager could see in an app and cover letter that a recruiter who doesn't have any experience in the roles they're hiring for would.  It's never made sense to me.  

I dont' mean to offend anyone if anyone is a recruiter in HR.  I do think the system could be set up better and I'm bitter about being rejected so quickly. 
    That’s a bummer. We always list the recruiter and hiring manager internally so folks can reach out with questions. 

I get not sending on every single resume (like people who don’t meet any of the basic qualifications) but I feel like I have to beg our recruiter for resumes. Maybe there aren’t that many but this is a good on (not entry level) and I know there has to be more than we’ve seen. 
  • sorry to hear about the job search @Casadena I hope you're given a chance soon.  As for pumps, I had an Ameda and it wasn't very good but it was the only free one my insurance covered. I bought a Medela on my own and liked it (I think it was the pump in style). Are any of the ones a different style you can get - like the hands free kind or whatever? Might be nice to have a different  one to try since you know you have one that will work 
  • ei34 said:
    I’m sorry @Casadena
    Yay for the book club @kvruns and ballroom dancing @STARMOON44
    That sign is adorable @CharmedPam My kids want a dog but I’m not adopting one until they’re old enough to take care of themselves. They claim they’d give it baths/pick up poop/take it on walks but if they still need me to give them baths/wipe them/accompany them on walks and bike rides...yeah, no dog. Yet. 

My cold is going away.  H decided to efile his papers and represent himself in court, instead of letting the summons default. Which is good. 
    I said those exact same things to my parents when I was growing up.
    percentage of follow through:  10% maybe a 15%

• @ei34 so he won't have a lawyer at all? I suppose if things aren't being contested and you can agree that would be doable? 
  • kvruns said:
    @ei34 so he won't have a lawyer at all? I suppose if things aren't being contested and you can agree that would be doable? 
    Our friends did it all online w/o a lawyer.  DH and I had opinions on this (because he should have gotten some $$ to make him whole out of the ordeal...but that's a whole other ball of wax), but yeah if there's no contesting custody or anything, then yay,  I guess?  I'm glad he's at least moving forward.  
  • @VarunaTT, so sad to hear that.  I’m terribly sorry for your loss. 
    Take all the time you need and DO you!  Just do what you’re doing and check in here and there so we know you’re ok.  Healing vibes sent to you for everything going on now. 

• @VarunaTT I'm sorry for your loss. 

And I'll echo your frustration with restaurants.  You know what they serve!  
  • @VarunaTT, I'm so sorry to hear your friend has passed!  Especially when you already have so much turmoil going on.  All my internet hugs for the things that are deeply troubling you.  I hope it gets resolved soon and you can start healing again.

I went to a vegan restaurant down the street from my work a few years ago.  Of course I didn't ask for meat.  I had already prepared myself that they would not have cheese either.  They had a cashew cheese they put on some of their hot dishes, but not on the veggie sandwich I was going to order.  I started to ask for them to add mayo to my sandwich...because I'm a "Mayo for Life" and always on sandwiches kind of gal...and then I stopped myself. because it suddenly dawned on me that mayo isn't vegan.  Dang it, lol!  At least it was still a good sandwich.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @VarunaTT sorry to hear about your friend
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I’m so sorry about the loss of your friend @VarunaTT that’s so sad.  And it’s not irrational to feel how you feel about the seafood/vegan thing.  It feels good to have feelings about things like that when a lot of the bigger things in life are a dumpster fire. 

@kvruns he can’t afford a lawyer. We’ve taken some financial hits this year thanks to him so all we really have to “argue” over is the kids.  And thankfully he agrees I should have full custody.  Defaulting on the papers he was served would drag this out, I’m just thankful that he decided to act. He had until 4/9, he took his time but he’s getting it done now.