DIY Wedding Forum
Options

How does the detachable train work?

I have convinced my mom to try her hand at making my wedding dress :) .. I would like to have a detachable half skirt but we are not finding clear tutorials online or images of the methods for attaching a skirt and making it look seamless.  Does anyone have any images that can be shared so that we can get an idea of how it works?  I know there are different ways including a snap, hook and eye, button etc but seeing how it works will be helpful.

Re: How does the detachable train work?

• Options
    I have convinced my mom to try her hand at making my wedding dress :) .. I would like to have a detachable half skirt but we are not finding clear tutorials online or images of the methods for attaching a skirt and making it look seamless.  Does anyone have any images that can be shared so that we can get an idea of how it works?  I know there are different ways including a snap, hook and eye, button etc but seeing how it works will be helpful.
    I don't have any pictures for you, but a lot could depend on the back detail. It would be fairly easy to hide attachment points under a piece of lace, or the half-skirt is attached to a belt at the waist. There are probably more options, but what is the style of the dress you're wanting? Having that to start with would help with the suggestions.
  • Options
    Know that you're asking A LOT of your Mom to do this!!!  If at any point she says "Not worth it" and determines it's time to go to a bridal shop, trust her... You may be better off to take two dresses and combine them than doing 100% DIY.  

Because I was going to make a prom dress for my niece with a detachable train (Project didn't end up happening because one of the vendors took forever to get the "fabric" to me)...  Basically, you do it as a banded skirt where the train is self supporting wrap with a belt type finish.  The other way is through hook/eyes and/or zipper.  To do that you need to have commercial/industrial grade hook & eyes or zipper because that is a ton of weight caused by the pull and drag involved on a train.  Yes, there are some fabrics that are light such as that which was used for Princess Diana's wedding gown, but budget becomes a consideration.  The third way is just an overlay skirt with train and this will be by far the easiest of the options next to just having two dresses when it comes to DIY...

• Options
    geebee908 said:
    I don't have any pictures for you, but a lot could depend on the back detail. It would be fairly easy to hide attachment points under a piece of lace, or the half-skirt is attached to a belt at the waist. There are probably more options, but what is the style of the dress you're wanting? Having that to start with would help with the suggestions.

Thank you, I was thinking a plain satin sheath silhouette type dress with a train attachment 
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:
    Know that you're asking A LOT of your Mom to do this!!!  If at any point she says "Not worth it" and determines it's time to go to a bridal shop, trust her... You may be better off to take two dresses and combine them than doing 100% DIY.  

Because I was going to make a prom dress for my niece with a detachable train (Project didn't end up happening because one of the vendors took forever to get the "fabric" to me)...  Basically, you do it as a banded skirt where the train is self supporting wrap with a belt type finish.  The other way is through hook/eyes and/or zipper.  To do that you need to have commercial/industrial grade hook & eyes or zipper because that is a ton of weight caused by the pull and drag involved on a train.  Yes, there are some fabrics that are light such as that which was used for Princess Diana's wedding gown, but budget becomes a consideration.  The third way is just an overlay skirt with train and this will be by far the easiest of the options next to just having two dresses when it comes to DIY...

Thank you for the options provided!  I will run them by my mom and see what she says. Lol my Mom did have that conversation with me and stressed that this will be an ‘attempt’ in case it doesn’t work and that I should have a plan B ready.
  • Options
    I think this pattern could work as a base. https://somethingdelightful.com/v8980 

Using just the back pattern pieces and lengthening it as needed, and the waistband pieces serving as the base for the belt. It could be completely lined if you don't want any interior seams showing. I think I'd even leave the zipper opening at the back so you wouldn't have a closure at the front or sides.
  • Options
    Thank you @geebee908 much appreciated!