November 2012 Weddings

How to decide on hair?

How did/will you decide on how to wear your hair? (up/down)

Since FI and I had gotten engaged, I had always envisioned doing my hair a specific way: http://pinterest.com/pin/55169164155384173/

But so many things have changed, and I've kind of gone with what feels right for a certain setting. When we were planning an outdoor wedding in May, it seemed perfect.

Now... not so much. After getting my dress, I ended up deciding on a veil (which I wasn't going to do - just flowers). Veil + November wedding in a yoga room doesn't seem to really equal to what I originally had in mind.

I feel like the hair will complete dress, veil, and bouquet. Now I just don't know what to do. Originally my mom and I were just going to try and do my hair (risky if truth be told lol), but FI's sisters have told me that I need to get it professionally done and that it'll be their wedding gift (as I had originally said that it wasn't in my budget to get it professionally done).

It seems like putting on my dress and playing around with different styles of my hair would help, but doesn't sound exactly like a good plan unless I take a chance at ruining it/getting something on it.

I still feel pretty strongly about having my hair up and back, but have been flirting with the idea of it down. But my imagination has a tendency of being skewed, so I could be quite off in thinking what would look good.

How did everyone decide what would look best?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How to decide on hair?

• Honestly? I knew either half up or all down. Brought a picture of me in my dress in for my trial , sat in the chair and let my hairdresser figure it out. I am very lucky though...she has been my hairdresser for a decade.
  • I just pulled pics I liked and brought them to my stylist and we chatted on what woul look best.

Then, when I went for my trial I had her do what I thought would work best and it worked out well!

No real formula, so just go with what you like. It doesn't have to match your dress
  • I never wear my hair up, ever.  So for me to have a formal updo would not be "me".  So I am just having enough back to put my veil in.  And I am having extensions for thickness and to hold the curl better
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_how-to-decide-on-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:e068959e-a1ad-4fe4-b75c-b471fb957859Post:7a529c21-3ea2-48eb-92c7-7e46f3da5a54">Re: How to decide on hair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just pulled pics I liked and brought them to my stylist and we chatted on what woul look best. Then, when I went for my trial I had her do what I thought would work best and it worked out well! No real formula, so just go with what you like. It doesn't have to match your dress
    Posted by amymaysa[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • I originally thought of doing my hair half up/half down, but even when I first tried on my dress in the store, I knew an updo would be better.  My trial is this weekend, so we will see what works with my mother's veil.
    We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • Leenie10Leenie10 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Think about how you would be comfortable wearing your hair all day and by comfortable I mean 1)what style(s) do you think looks good on you? and 2) could be comfortable with all day? I like the pic you have but for me, the way the hair falls near the face would make me crazy within a few hours. Also, take into consideration how long your hair is at this point. Once you narrow it down a little, look in magazines and online for some pics and bring them to the salon for a trial.
    I haven't had my trial yet, but have been going to the same person for 10+ years and have already given her an idea of what kind of updo style that I want. I'm going for the trial next weekend. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I always envisioned wearing my hair down but my dress has a beautiful low back and it would look funny if my hair covered half of it. I don't like having my hair pulled back tight though so I'm going with a low, loose curly "updo." Do whatever you will feel good with but make sure it compliments your dress as well.
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
  • I think saying to match my dress is the wrong wording. I guess every time I had envisioned my dress prior to getting it, I imagined what would probably go best with it.

I think 'compliment' is the best word to use, as MJandDL phrased it.

I'm still thinking an updo, but I also know that what I usually think would look good ususally doesn't, but then again, I've usually been pretty spot on with my instincts with the wedding-related stuff.

I'm thinking an updo just because I generally can't stand my hair being down. I can usually handle it down for a little bit, but usually after so long, I'm tossing it up. I generally feel more comfortable with a style as I had posted from pinterest.

I think I'll do some more searching and try and come up with a little more variety, but I do think an updo will probably be better.

Thanks for everyone's input! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_how-to-decide-on-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:e068959e-a1ad-4fe4-b75c-b471fb957859Post:672ad9c2-c4f3-471a-8ec1-41aa773160af">Re: How to decide on hair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I never wear my hair up, ever.  So for me to have a formal updo would not be "me".  So I am just having enough back to put my veil in.  And I am having extensions for thickness and to hold the curl better
    Posted by Miss_2010[/QUOTE]

It's interesting because I had the opposite thought. I wanted my hair up for the wedding because I wanted to look special/different from every other day. It only happens once. In the end, do what your gut tells you. Do what you think you would feel beautiful in. Your FI will love it no matter what...and then pinterest and google styles you think you might like and then talk with our stylist to see what works.

We got married 11/3/12!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_how-to-decide-on-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:e068959e-a1ad-4fe4-b75c-b471fb957859Post:2527c5f6-c182-46d4-8432-3b3757236c5d">Re: How to decide on hair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to decide on hair? : It's interesting because I had the opposite thought. I wanted my hair up for the wedding because I wanted to look special/different from every other day. It only happens once. In the end, do what your gut tells you. Do what you think you would feel beautiful in. Your FI will love it no matter what...and then pinterest and google styles you think you might like and then talk with our stylist to see what works.
    Posted by t12ubeauty[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is I normally <em>hate </em>my hair down - it usually goes up after having been down for a few hours. FI loves it down.

I've had this idea in my head that my hair will look best up.

So today I had my first fitting/alterations. I straightened my hair and wore it down so I could see what it would look like (so I could get an idea one way or the other), and I LOVE it down with the dress! I feel like a fool for wanting to wear it up lol I had it up for a few to see it up compaired to down, and I absolutely hated it up.

But that decided it for me, so now I have to search pinterest for some down styles.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards