Wedding Woes

Thursday

Greetings from New Hampshire.  Up in the mountain house on our annual trip.  Against better judgment STBXH and I decided to take the kids together a final time. It actually hasn’t been too bad.  I’m sleeping in the kids’ room, he’s in the room we always used, so it’s nice to have some space since at home he won’t leave our bedroom.  The kids are having an absolute ball and he isn’t being a PITA for once.  So far so good.
Wishing everyone a good day!

Re: Thursday

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2021
    Yay for a good trip.   I hope he continues to behave. 

DefConn is in quarantine.  He was identified as a close contact from the party he went to over the weekend.  It was outside and the person who has it was vaccinated (mom of the bday kid), which totally sucks. She says she's mostly OK, just a cough.  DefConn feels fine and we're going for a test later today.  I cannot wait until he can be vaccinated.  My fears over delta have been at a low boil, but I lost my shit yesterday. I called and yelled to BFF how everyone in this situation did everything 'right' and this poor lady still caught it and I'm dealing with logistical BS of keeping a healthy kid home from school with no home support because they removed all at home learning protocols, finding a test (b/c they shut down a bunch of test sites), and if he's positive, I have so many people to contact. Also, I know one adult in daily school life who wants to get vaccinated and cannot because of complications they're still having from a surgery earlier this year.  Get. Your. Damn. Shot. If. You. CAN!  UGHHH. 

Also, our school district removed ALL quarantine guidance from the website.  I left that in my message on the absence line that I had no idea what the 'rules' are, so 'let me know'.  LOL 

DH's aunt and uncle are still coming for dinner tonight.  DH called them to let them know about DefConn's quarantine and they didn't care.  They've both been vaccinated and I think his aunt already had Covid.  I also plan on having everyone outside for the most part anyway.  They always bring their dog and it's a shedder. 

I'm never going to say a week is gonna be 'normal' again. LMAO  There are no more normal weeks. 

Prudie coming up. 
  • I hope the asshole stays good for the duration of the trip, and good vibes for a neg test. 

I woke up on the right side of the bed this morning. I don't know why, I ended the work day yesterday ready to choose violence and H was being annoying all night. But whatever, I'll go with it. There wasn't much humidity and temp dropped below 70, so it was a great morning to get in some exercise before work. Here's hoping the rest of the day goes this well. 

• Damn @mrsconn23 that sucks. How many quarantines has he had? Really hoping he’s negative.  

Squeee!  He's so cute!!  I still remember DefConn's 1st bday and party.  It was probably my favorite. 

DefConn's only been quarantined twice and it's been about 6 months.  I think he will be negative.  I'll be more shocked if he's + since he's a) feeling completely fine and b) it was the mom of this kid and they were swimming most of the party.  He wasn't up in her grill or anything.  
  • @ei34, New Hampshire sounds great!  I hope you keep enjoying your trip and your STBXH continues being pleasant enough.

@mrsconn23, oh no!  That sucks so much for DefConn.  School JUST STARTED and he already needs to be in quarantine.  I realize the exposure didn't happen at school, but still.  I hope he can get tested quickly and it's negative.  Unbelievable the school took down their info about quarantining, smh.  Yet another sign of how far too quickly people wanted to pretend the pandemic is over.  So, here we are with cases spiking and hospitals filling.  Again.

@MNNEBride, sounds like a fun, family weekend!  Happy birthday to your mom.

My PITA tenant did move out yesterday!  Such a relief!  Overall, she returned the house to us in good condition.  There were a few things I wanted to deduct from her security deposit, but my H told me to just give it all back to her, so I did.  We will have to totally repaint one bedroom and one wall of another bedroom.  They were newly painted when she took possession of the house and she only lived there for about 18 months.  She also put a big sticker on the mailbox, so we'll probably have to replace it.  One of the towel rods and the bracket is missing.  Stuff like that.  

I had originally told the charity who pays her rent that I would return any pro-rated rent I have from them, after her move-out.  In this case, it's 10 days, about $350.  But I'm going to contact them about that.  I'll stand by my word and return it, if they insist.  However, it will take us most of that time to get the place move-in ready again, with having to paint two rooms.  So I'm hoping they will just let me keep it.  Especially since I did return the tenant's full security deposit.  

After the walk through, we picked up Little Caesars pepperoni/cheese stuffed pizza and crazy bread.  Mmmm, I love their crazy bread!  I don't normally think cheese stuffed pizza sounds that appealing but, use it as an excuse for extra pepperoni, and I've been wanting to try it, lol. 

We also stopped at Best Buy and I found my new laptop.  Unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock, so I need to order it today.  But a different one has it in stock, so I should be able to pick it up tomorrow. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2021
    @short+sassy, I watched the statement the CMO of Lady of the Lake gave recently about how the 'beds are all full' and it was freaking heart-breaking.  Y'all are on fire down there and it was so avoidable. 

And I just scrolled through FB and DH's dumbass cousins in IL are posting "Unmask the kids" memes and shit.   
  • mrsconn23 said:
    @short+sassy, I watched the statement the CMO of Lady of the Lake gave recently about how the 'beds are all full' and it was freaking heart-breaking.  Y'all are on fire down there and it was so avoidable. 

And I just scrolled through FB and DH's dumbass cousins in IL are posting "Unmask the kids" memes and shit.   
    Down here, it's also been an exercise in frustration to see just how much politics affects vaccination rates.  NOLA is a pretty liberal city, but in a very conservative state  Probably not an unusual configuration.

The city's vaccination rates are 52.6% fully vaccinated and 65.9% with at least one vaccination dose.

But for Louisiana's, as a whole, vaccination rates are very different.  37.1% fully vaccinated and 43% with at least one vaccination dose.   Which is the 47th lowest rate in the country.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks @banana468, his little Yankee shirt was too cute. He has a Bills one, too for football season! 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Yay for a good trip.   I hope he continues to behave. 

DefConn is in quarantine.  He was identified as a close contact from the party he went to over the weekend.  It was outside and the person who has it was vaccinated (mom of the bday kid), which totally sucks. She says she's mostly OK, just a cough.  DefConn feels fine and we're going for a test later today.  I cannot wait until he can be vaccinated.  My fears over delta have been at a low boil, but I lost my shit yesterday. I called and yelled to BFF how everyone in this situation did everything 'right' and this poor lady still caught it and I'm dealing with logistical BS of keeping a healthy kid home from school with no home support because they removed all at home learning protocols, finding a test (b/c they shut down a bunch of test sites), and if he's positive, I have so many people to contact. Also, I know one adult in daily school life who wants to get vaccinated and cannot because of complications they're still having from a surgery earlier this year.  Get. Your. Damn. Shot. If. You. CAN!  UGHHH. 

Also, our school district removed ALL quarantine guidance from the website.  I left that in my message on the absence line that I had no idea what the 'rules' are, so 'let me know'.  LOL 

DH's aunt and uncle are still coming for dinner tonight.  DH called them to let them know about DefConn's quarantine and they didn't care.  They've both been vaccinated and I think his aunt already had Covid.  I also plan on having everyone outside for the most part anyway.  They always bring their dog and it's a shedder. 

I'm never going to say a week is gonna be 'normal' again. LMAO  There are no more normal weeks. 

Prudie coming up. 
    Wait but no. You cancel the dinner. Quarantine means no completely optional socializing. Minimum. 
  • Omg @charlotte989875 what a cutie! I can’t believe it’s been a year already. 

Fingers crossed for a continued good trip @ei34

What a grueling week. I’m trying to play catch-up today. I’m procrastinating on calling back someone I know is going to yell at me. I’m definitely being a chicken but also I don’t get paid enough to deal with that bs so I’m waiting until one of my managers is back from lunch so I can inevitably transfer the call. Just because I can deal with the issue doesn’t always mean I need to and man do I need a break this week. 

Otherwise SSDD. Hike tonight, last day of work for the week tomorrow. We went to Costco last night and I was actually really behaved. I put a bunch of stuff back that I wanted. 

• kvruns said:
    My flooring saga continues, at the last minute I went with the rec of a non big box store my realtor gave who was able to get something I like for cheaper and get it installed when I need instead of a few weeks like Home Depot. Phew. it might actually work out and I can paint and then get carpet down all before moving.

In a very unexpected bright spot my mom gave me a card from one of her good friends. She has shared with her close friends what I'm going through (which I am OK with her doing as I know she needs to process it all too). I opened the card since I thought it might have a small gift card and I wanted to write a thank you note so she could give it to her. It had a nice card and a very nice amount of cash in it - I was truly shocked. My mom was shocked too. We both thought maybe a small gift card to Target or something which would have still been very nice and unexpected. 
    At least it sounds like good news flooring saga!  And what an unexpected, (sounds like) generous gift.

When I bought my first home (I know this isn't your first home), I was working for a different company.  One of the project managers was genuinely interested in how my home buying was going.  He would regularly ask me questions about it.

After I closed, he gave me a congratulations card with a $25 gift card for Lowe's.  I was really surprised and so touched at how thoughtful that was.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    Omg @charlotte989875 what a cutie! I can’t believe it’s been a year already. 

Fingers crossed for a continued good trip @ei34

What a grueling week. I’m trying to play catch-up today. I’m procrastinating on calling back someone I know is going to yell at me. I’m definitely being a chicken but also I don’t get paid enough to deal with that bs so I’m waiting until one of my managers is back from lunch so I can inevitably transfer the call. Just because I can deal with the issue doesn’t always mean I need to and man do I need a break this week. 

Otherwise SSDD. Hike tonight, last day of work for the week tomorrow. We went to Costco last night and I was actually really behaved. I put a bunch of stuff back that I wanted. 
    No one deserves to get yelled at.  I hope the call isn't too bad!

• How did I miss that cute baby pic - errr toddler pic @charlotte989875 ?!?!  
  • That’s sweet @short+sassy ! I think my work does a gift card usually for first houses although technically this is my first purchase since I’ve worked there (bc I’d bought my first house at a different job). I’m hoping they give something for it. If they don’t no biggie but anything helps I have so much stuff to buy. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2021
    kvruns said:
    That’s sweet @short+sassy ! I think my work does a gift card usually for first houses although technically this is my first purchase since I’ve worked there (bc I’d bought my first house at a different job). I’m hoping they give something for it. If they don’t no biggie but anything helps I have so much stuff to buy. 
    I read an article years ago that was titled something like, "All The Things You Need to Buy For Your First Home That Noone Ever Tells You."

It was a true article, but written to be funny.  For a little context, the author was talking about her experience moving from a small apartment in Manhattan to a house more in the country.  I'll see what I can remember from it:

1) Window treatments.  She talked about being so excited for ALL the windows she would have now.  Until she realized she needed curtains and all the things.  For all of them.  And then the sticker shock when she saw prices.

2) Lawnmower

3) Tools

4) New furniture - you might think you can get away with the futon couch and Goodwill furniture you've had since college.  But you're a HOME OWNER now!  And that furniture just doesn't feel "right" anymore.

5) Outdoor furniture -  she talked about how there was this super cute picnic table with log seating that looked like it had come from trees in the nearby woods.  But she was shocked and bummed the seller had taken it away.  She admitted it hadn't been in the purchase agreement.  But it was just so PERFECT for the house!  How dare they!  Lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    That’s sweet @short+sassy ! I think my work does a gift card usually for first houses although technically this is my first purchase since I’ve worked there (bc I’d bought my first house at a different job). I’m hoping they give something for it. If they don’t no biggie but anything helps I have so much stuff to buy. 
    I read an article years ago that was titled something like, "All The Things You Need to Buy For Your First Home That Noone Ever Tells You."

It was a true article, but written to be funny.  For a little context, the author was talking about her experience moving from a small apartment in Manhattan to a house more in the country.  I'll see what I can remember from it:

1) Window treatments.  She talked about being so excited for ALL the windows she would have now.  Until she realized she needed curtains and all the things.  For all of them.  And then the sticker shock when she saw prices.

2) Lawnmower

3) Tools

4) New furniture - you might think you can get away with the futon couch and Goodwill furniture you've had since college.  But you're a HOME OWNER now!  And that furniture just doesn't feel "right" anymore.

5) Outdoor furniture -  she talked about how there was this super cute picnic table with log seating that looked like it had come from trees in the nearby woods.  But she was shocked and bummed the seller had taken it away.  She admitted it hadn't been in the purchase agreement.  But it was just so PERFECT for the house!  How dare they!  Lol.
    Those are big things! I remember when we bought our first house we needed trash cans, shower rods, rakes (yes and other tools), more waste paper baskets, step stool just all the little stuff you don't think of when you go from an apartment to a 3 BR 2 1/2 BA house! LOL!
  • So true on all the stuff. I am lucky that the house includes lots of outdoor equipment - lawn mower, snow blower, ladder, tons of tools etc so that stuff is all covered. 

But I know there will be lots of small stuff you don’t use every day that I’ll forget about until I go to grab it. 

• Those are big things! I remember when we bought our first house we needed trash cans, shower rods, rakes (yes and other tools), more waste paper baskets, step stool just all the little stuff you don't think of when you go from an apartment to a 3 BR 2 1/2 BA house! LOL!
    Ugh!  The little stuff feels constant!  At the time, I remember I told my H I felt like I was spending a fortune, but $20-$100 at a time.

@kvruns, I'm glad the seller is leaving so many useful things!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker