Knottie Tech Help

Multiple Charities - GoFundMe

edited September 2021 in Knottie Tech Help
Hello,

My fiancé and I want to have 3 charities for our wedding registry.  We really don't have the space for traditional gifts, we have everything we need, and we don't really need the money so we thought creating a Charity Wedding Registry would be a good idea instead.

I followed the instructions here on how to create a GoFundMe and how to link it to my registry: GoFundMe Registry - Start Your Wedding Registry | The Knot

However, when I preview my website, it just say GoFundMe.  Is there anyway to specify which GoFundMe link goes to which organization? 

Re: Multiple Charities - GoFundMe

• To be honest this kind of registry isn't a good idea. First of all you asking people for money which is against etiquette. Secondly, charities are a very personal thing. People have reasons for giving to certain charities and not to others. What you can do is tell people you aren't registering and really don't need anything. If they give you money, you can then donate it to whatever charity you wish since you don't need the money. I would be put off if I were asked to donate to a charity and probably wouldn't do so. I definitely wouldn't donate to a GoFundMe.
  • edited September 2021
    To be honest this kind of registry isn't a good idea. First of all you asking people for money which is against etiquette. Secondly, charities are a very personal thing. People have reasons for giving to certain charities and not to others. What you can do is tell people you aren't registering and really don't need anything. If they give you money, you can then donate it to whatever charity you wish since you don't need the money. I would be put off if I were asked to donate to a charity and probably wouldn't do so. I definitely wouldn't donate to a GoFundMe.

Hmmm... Then, why would The Knot (as well as multiple articles online) make an entire instructional page and multiple blog articles on how to do this? I mean I'm fine with people not donating if they don't want to.  It doesn't bother me. But, some people insist on giving something and this is a way for them to do it.  I've also specified that on our Registry page that their presence is the best gift they could give us and we don't want any gifts, but if they want to bless us with a present to consider donation to the charities.  I think times have changed and in recent years, it has become more acceptable to ask for money.  HoneyFund has become such a popular way to have a registry especially among younger couples.  Plus, I'm Asian... and it's literally what we do haha! Unless you specifically ask for a gift, you're getting money from me.  Anyway, I'm not here to argue whether it goes with etiquette or not, I'm here to ask for help on how to set this up properly.
  • To be honest this kind of registry isn't a good idea. First of all you asking people for money which is against etiquette. Secondly, charities are a very personal thing. People have reasons for giving to certain charities and not to others. What you can do is tell people you aren't registering and really don't need anything. If they give you money, you can then donate it to whatever charity you wish since you don't need the money. I would be put off if I were asked to donate to a charity and probably wouldn't do so. I definitely wouldn't donate to a GoFundMe.

Hmmm... Then, why would The Knot (as well as multiple articles online) make an entire instructional page and multiple blog articles on how to do this? I mean I'm fine with people not donating if they don't want to.  It doesn't bother me. But, some people insist on giving something and this is a way for them to do it.  I've also specified that on our Registry page that their presence is the best gift they could give us and we don't want any gifts, but if they want to bless us with a present to consider donation to the charities.  I think times have changed and in recent years, it has become more acceptable to ask for money.  HoneyFund has become such a popular way to have a registry especially among younger couples.  Plus, I'm Asian... and it's literally what we do haha! Unless you specifically ask for a gift, you're getting money from me.  Anyway, I'm not here to argue whether it goes with etiquette or not, I'm here to ask for help on how to set this up properly.
    No, it hasn't become more acceptable to ask for money. It's not appropriate to make any mention of gifts at all. Your "presence is the best gift they could give us" assumes that you're entitled to gifts in the first place, which isn't the case. If people want to give you gifts, they will, whether they're monetary or not and whether you've asked for that or not. If they give you cash, you can donate it. But if you really don't want to receive gifts at all, then just don't register and give anything you do receive to charity. It is not polite to tell others to do so on your behalf because it's not polite to decide for other people how they are going to spend their money. If they choose to get you a non-charitable-donation gift, that's their choice, just as it should be their choice as to whether they donate to charity, which ones, and how much regardless of your wedding. And it actually doesn't come across as unselfish and altruistic to tell others to donate on your behalf who haven't asked you.

Also, TheKnot (aside from this forum) actually isn't a good source of information when it comes to etiquette, especially in the matter of gifts. That's because it's essentially a marketing website for the wedding industry, including certain charities.

Hi, I'm also Asian - first gen American. I didn't register for gifts (physical or otherwise). Surprise, surprise... the gifts we did receive were all monetary or charitable donations that we didn't have to solicit. Someone mentioned to my mother about cash registries, and she spent the following 6 months griping about how tacky begging for money is. Similar reactions from the rest of my Asian family, both here and abroad.
    ~*~*~*~*~

To the bolded: that's exactly how it should work. If people don't register, they usually receive money. Some people just would rather give money than a physical gift. That is all fine and acceptable. What isn't acceptable is for the couple to ask for money which is what you are doing by asking people to donate to charities. LIke I said, don't register and take the money you receive and donate it.
  • I agree with the others.  Instead of creating these registries take the $ others give and donate yourself.

In addition to the concept of asking for money, charities can have very emotional reactions with plenty of people have feelings on what they do and don't like and what they will or won't donate to.