Wedding Woes

Send a short note and a couple of the best pics you have.

Dear Prudence,

I have a 14-year-old dog, “Max.” He’s in good health at the moment fortunately, but my younger dog died recently due to cancer, so I have been coming to terms with the fact that Max won’t be around forever. Max was 4 months old when he came into my life as a gift (I know, dogs shouldn’t be gifts! He was adopted from a kill shelter at least) from my ex-husband as an anniversary present. We ended up getting divorced two years later, and I’ve since remarried. Since Max was a gift, we decided that I should keep him. My ex and I didn’t have any kids together, and I moved out of state after our divorce so we haven’t had any contact in the interim. It wasn’t a messy breakup, but he did have some hurt feelings. When Max passes away, I want to send my ex an email with some photos of Max over the years to thank him for giving me such a wonderful gift and letting him know that Max had a great life. I’ve discussed this with my current husband and he supports whatever I want to do, but I’m torn. I don’t want to stir up old emotions, but I also feel like my ex would want to know about Max.

— Max’s Mom

Re: Send a short note and a couple of the best pics you have.

• mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence,

I have a 14-year-old dog, “Max.” He’s in good health at the moment fortunately, but my younger dog died recently due to cancer, so I have been coming to terms with the fact that Max won’t be around forever. Max was 4 months old when he came into my life as a gift (I know, dogs shouldn’t be gifts! He was adopted from a kill shelter at least) from my ex-husband as an anniversary present. We ended up getting divorced two years later, and I’ve since remarried. Since Max was a gift, we decided that I should keep him. My ex and I didn’t have any kids together, and I moved out of state after our divorce so we haven’t had any contact in the interim. It wasn’t a messy breakup, but he did have some hurt feelings. When Max passes away, I want to send my ex an email with some photos of Max over the years to thank him for giving me such a wonderful gift and letting him know that Max had a great life. I’ve discussed this with my current husband and he supports whatever I want to do, but I’m torn. I don’t want to stir up old emotions, but I also feel like my ex would want to know about Max.

— Max’s Mom

Yup - send a short note and a few pics.    
  • Short note and a few pictures should be good.

We had a cat that my parents got from my mum's friend. When cat passed away, we did advise her that he did with a little update {we had minimal contact with her but still had some}
    It wasn't a huge thing but more "fyi, he lived a good life and here are some photos"
  • edited September 2021
    You haven't spoken in the better part of 12 years, and he's not checking in on Max. 

I'd let sleeping dogs lie here. 
    Same. It's been 12 years. 
  • Since the LW thinks the ex would want to know, I think sending a short note with a few pics sounds like a great idea.

Even a "worse case scenario" is the ex doesn't especially care about what happened to Max and thinks, "Okay, whatever, not sure why she e-mailed me."  Deletes the e-mail and doesn't give it another thought.  But I think it's more likely he will appreciate knowing and some pics will bring back fond memories. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you'd had at least occasional contact with your ex since you broke up, I'd say go ahead and send a nice email and some pictures of Max. But since you haven't been in touch at all since the divorce, I don't think there's any point. You've both moved on with your lives long ago, so I'd say leave well enough alone.
  • I say send the note and the pics.  I took in a colleague's rabbit when she couldn't take care of him anymore.  I had him for 8 years, and while we were facebook friends we didn't talk too much.  When he passed, I let her know and she really appreciated it.