Wedding Woes

Hump Day

Day of Service at my school so no lessons taking place...about to take a group to a nearby garden for a beautification project.  Otherwise pretty SSDD, wishing everyone a good day!

Re: Hump Day

• MNNEBrideMNNEBride member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited October 2021
    I'm in the thick of the monthly Orientation for new employees I facilitate so busy days.  My boss is at Disney with her family so that cuts down on meetings so that's good. 

Had a mani/pedi last night and switched to fall nail colors so that's the big news here LOL.

Edited to add:  Have a great day serving with your students @ei34!
  • How cool @ei34

Not much here; work, baby, sleep. Therapy yesterday and all I can say is that I should have started YEARS ago. 
  • I'm trying to find some pop funkos for xmas gifts. I have 2 already, and now have for find a 3rd because it is IMPOSSIBLE to not purchase that moment {they sell out quick}
    Might go to the mall soon and look - there's 2 places that sell them.

BK is fine. She had a decent meal {not too heavy, just in case} but did minimally snack. She ended up eating slower than normal, which was fine.
    M has looked a few times in her mouth to see if any signs of strep but nothing we can see.
    M has her until 11am, then he's taking her to my mum's place. My mum said she'll probably just roll with whatever BK wants to do, so we'll see.
  • @charlotte989875 I love therapy. I really wish it wasn't so fucking expensive.

Chill day here. Nothing to report, lol.
  • Nice @ei34, enjoy the day
    Glad it’s not strep @MissKittyDanger
    @MNNEBride from one nail enthusiast to another, I say welcome.  Welcome to fall colors, the best nail colors.
    @VarunaTT I hear you so much on the loneliness thing. Especially when I did my travel thing over the weekend. It was kinda awkward staying at a b&b on my own. 

During the summer, when things were looking good about the vaccines, I booked my annual Salem trip, and found a convention there the week after their busiest week. But then I got offered Vegas a week before and couldn’t afford the back to back so canceled Salem.  Got everything back but my convention ticket but since they said no exchanges or refunds I didn’t even bother asking and was just going to be out the $70 I think it was? Then Vegas also go canceled.  Now I gor an email
    from the witchfest organizer saying they got capacity restrictions and had to refund some attendees.  I was one of them.
    ”oh that’s to bad” <snicker> “But I understand” <beaming> “maybe next year!” <silent fist pump>.  It’s just $70, but $70 I thought was long gone!

• @VarunaTT I am loving Noodles lmao! I follow on tiktok - we all need to know what day it is lmao!

@CharmedPam Same! It's not fully ruled out, but we're keeping an eye still.
  • @charlotte989875 I love therapy. I really wish it wasn't so fucking expensive.

Yes! Why the hell does it have to be so expensive?! 

We get some covered by insurance (we used to have it 100% covered and that was AMAZING). But it is a set dollar amount and it is basically 8 sessions. Wtf am I going to do with 8 sessions? Not delve deep enough into my mommy issues, that's what.

We get some covered by insurance (we used to have it 100% covered and that was AMAZING). But it is a set dollar amount and it is basically 8 sessions. Wtf am I going to do with 8 sessions? Not delve deep enough into my mommy issues, that's what.
    My insurance doesn’t cover it at all. I’m paying $200/ session (and doing weekly sessions) to work my shit out. 

My insurance doesn’t cover it at all. I’m paying $200/ session (and doing weekly sessions) to work my shit out. 
    WThat suuuucks. Mad props to you for doing it, I know it is not easy 

And then people wonder why there is such a national mental health crisis in our country!

I got a good night's sleep last night and feel motivated for the day.  While I am in this rare mood (lol), I'm going to write a to-do and goal list with sub-steps (where needed).  Then start tackling some of those items.  I feel like I keep letting things slip because I'm keeping it all in my head.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy to-do lists are life. 
  • Therapy should be covered by health insurance, just like any other healthcare! If I can go to the ER and pay $50 copay if I have a total crisis meltdown, I ought to be able to get preventative treatment ahead of time and avoid the damned meltdown in the first place. Not that we're all at risk of crisis meltdown, but still. Coverage for mental health care is a joke. 

Nothing much exciting going on here. I'm getting toward the tail end of a project I've been working on and am trying to put it to bed and find something new. This project has seriously sucked, so trying to find something more interesting next. 
  • @short+sassy to-do lists are life. 
    I also find they are the most helpful when I hand-write them, not type them.  There is just something about the tactile movement of writing that sets it more permanently in my brain.

Out of curiosity, I Googled this to check if that is a "me" thing or an "all humans" thing, because it seems like an "all humans" thing.  It sure is and apparently that's well known territory in science.    I went a little bit down a rabbit hole, lol.  Here is what I learned.

From How Does Writing Affect Your Brain? - NeuroRelay

• When you are writing something down with a pen and paper, you are stimulating a collection of cells in the base of your brain known as the reticular activating system. The RAS is the filter for all of the information your brain needs to process and it gives more attention to what you are currently focusing on.
    • Fun facts:  Reading is a much better way to improve your vocabulary (and therefore your writing) than watching television. Books contain 50% more rare words than prime time television.  When they are trying out a new pen for the first time, 97% of people will write their own name.  (Me) So interesting, because when I'm using a new pen for the first time or testing an old one, I just make a few scribbles.
    From Why Using Pen And Paper, Not Laptops, Boosts Memory: Writing Notes Helps Recall Concepts, Ability To Understand (medicaldaily.com)

This was an experiment done.  They had college students, some of whom normally use a laptop/pad to type notes and some who handwrite notes, listen to a lecture.  They were instructed to take their notes the way they normally do.  They were asked not to study their notes at all and given a test 30 minutes later.  For facts from the lecture, both groups scored about the same.  But for understanding the idea/concepts, the handwritten notes group did much better.

Then the test was done one week later.  Both groups were encouraged to study and review their notes.  The handwritten notes group still did much better, even though the typing group had taken more copious notes.

Here was the experiment's theory from the findings:  The movements involved when handwriting, “leave a motor memory in the sensorimotor part of the brain,” which helps the person recognize letters and establish a connection between reading and writing. The researchers believe since writing by hand takes longer than typing on a keyboard, the temporal aspect may influence the learning process.  Overall, it seems those who type their notes may potentially be at risk for “mindless processing.” The old fashioned note taking method of pen and paper boosts memory and the ability to understand concepts and facts. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's really interesting about hand writing versus typing. I've been trying to get more organized with putting all my work stuff on One Note instead of my normal sea of post its, but I keep fighting the drive to write it first and then move it later. Maybe now I know why!
  • It's a slow day, so I'm xmas gift hunting.
    I ordered one thing for BK {play silks} and I told M I likely need to go to the mall this weekend to eyeball some stuff in stores.

I don't really wanna order a bunch of stuff from Amazon :\ Charmed Aroma has a store now, so I may peek there.
    SIL & BIL like DND so I may see a Hot Topic
  • Poor DH only got 2 hours of sleep last night because he had to be up at 630 this morning to get FIL to the hospital for his surgery. It went well and he’s in recovery. DefConn and I met DH for brunch so he wasn’t just waiting around in the waiting room. 

I made spaghetti for tonight. And I’m now chilling and staring at a pile of laundry that isn’t gonna fold itself. 

I may end up alone tonight if DH needs to stay at FIL’s. DefConn will likely want to stay too. DefConn will be a major help with the dogs. I think the kiddo is planning to stay with FIL starting tomorrow. 

The fresh air and quiet house is making me sleepy. 
  • I am ready to start swining.

I send an email stating I need more information. We received documents with BASICALLY same company - Company A, B & C - and same fkn account numbers.
    Who are they collecting upon, is the account numbers intended to be same?

They email me back
    Company A is accurate but also not operating.
    Company B took over accounts of A
    Company C was used to secure loans through B

NO THIS DOESN'T MAKE FKN SENSE
    I sent back saying it doesn't make sense and I need to know the original company they're collecting on as their documents don't say and I need to know before information can be accepted.
  • I am ready to start swinging with you, @MissKittyDanger.

I just got a response back from the NOLA Appraisers office about my appeal for my personal home.  What a bunch of bs!  They denied my appeal because I didn't have any damage to the structure.  The appraiser told me I needed to withdraw my application.

I'm sorry, excuse me?  I don't need to withdraw jack s**t.  They can deny my appeal if they want to, but then I would be entitled to a second round of appeals.  If I withdrew it, I couldn't.

This was what I actually messaged back:

I respectfully disagree and strongly.  I will pretend there is the exact same house and lot on my street and both their house and my house were for sale.  Except that house does not have a fallen giant tree spanned across the entire yard.  And that house's deck was perfect, instead of unusable because one of the railings and some of the supports were damaged.  And that house has a totally upright fence, instead of approximately 8' of a smashed one.  Buyers would never pay only 5% less for my house.  It would need to be much cheaper to compete against the other house, since the buyer would need to deal with all of the expense and hassle to fix it.

The value of a property is certainly not just the structure.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MyNameIsNot @short+sassy
    I keep a small 6x8ish spiral bound notebook for all my lists. I will put the date range on the top (10/17-23) and then list all the things I need to do. Call the mechanic, shop for DS's party, etc. Anything from last week that didn't get done gets moved over, it's in no particular order, just as I remember. Then if any of those things need to be broken done (like the shopping list, gift ideas, or measurements for a space I need to put a shelf, etc. ) I just put that on a different page. It is kind of like a bullet journal but not stylized or made to look pretty in any way, lol. I have been doing this since highschool and it is the only way I can organize all of the things going on in my scattered brain, lol.
    Thanks, that's a great system.  I did something similar yesterday...thanks "my workplace" for letting me abscond with one of your notebooks, lol...though I also added in a tab about halfway through that are for more medium/long-term goals.  Then I use those to set more weekly or daily "bite-sized" goals in the front of the notebook.

That's interesting you set it up per week, with a weekly heading.  Right now, I just have the front of my notebook with general bullet points.  I also LOVE bullet points!  But I like what you do with a weekly heading.  I'm going to steal that!

I'm also going to set up another section that are more regular, daily or weekly goals I want to meet.  Like exercising on my stationary bike at least 30 minutes a day, 5x/week.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy ready to fight! Let's go!!
  • @short+sassy  look up bullet journals, Pinterest is good for ideas. Some people are so amazingly organized with charts and goals, they make it look so pretty with colored markers and stamps. But I am just not _that_ organized, my system looks chaotic but it works for me and that's all that matters, lol. 
  • I have a similar system @missJeanLouise and it totally works for me and I wish all the luck in the world to anyone else who looked at the current week's page and tried to understand it.  Lol.  It's a to-do list mixed with my calendar.

Really glad you're in therapy now @charlotte989875 even if you should've had it for years.  It's a disgrace that it's so expensive.  I waited and waited until I could have someone in network but over the summer I felt like my kids couldn't wait, so their therapy out of network is $175/session.  It's one hour long and the therapist usually gives them 15min each and then 15min as a group (although sometimes it's 20min each...sometimes 10min and then 30 as a group).  The kids and I really like her.  Their school social worker is also outstanding and meets with each of them individually once a week, so I do feel okay about splitting up the therapy sessions.  But...why aren't there more in-network therapists??