Wedding Woes

Bean dip and cut off mom when she talks about Chelsea

Prudence

My parents both had multiple marriages. My father is on number five, while my mother learned her lesson at three. Unfortunately, it took her most of my childhood, which I spent dragged around and shoved in front of strange kids and told these were my new siblings and to “bond.” That never happened because I had already learned that none of this was real or was going to last.

“Chelsea” was my stepsister from marriage three on my mother’s side while I was in high school. I moved in permanently since my father’s latest fiancée had a gaggle of kids she wouldn’t control and expected me to babysit. Chelsea was a year younger than me and had issues. She was probably on the spectrum, but all I knew was she was intensely socially awkward and couldn’t pick up any cues at all. She would babble about her interests to anyone for hours and believe anything anyone told her. She was prime bullying material.

I never bullied her, but I certainly never tried to protect her either. I would ditch her as soon as we got off the bus and ignore her at school. As much as my mother and her husband would lecture me about looking out for Chelsea, I would ignore them and take the grounding. They got divorced the summer I graduated about a decade ago. I never saw Chelsea again or gave her much thought until now.

Recently, she sent my mother and me a long, rambling letter about her need for “closure” after all the trauma she endured, especially including us. I tossed it in the trash, while my mother ended up calling Chelsea and even going to her Zoom therapy session. Now my mother is pressuring me to join. Chelsea especially wants to understand how I could act so callously and cold towards her as a teen—because we were “sisters.” I told my mother that was stupid. We weren’t sisters.  We were never sisters. We barely qualified as stepsisters considering her marriage only lasted three years. If she felt guilt that was on her. Not me. My mother keeps bringing this up, and I don’t know how to get her to drop it. Help.

— Only Child

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bean dip and cut off mom when she talks about Chelsea

• This is difficult because Chelsea is obviously hurting but I would probably write a letter of my own. I would say that I was dealing with my own issues growing up, what LW said about not bonding as sisters and generally having a different experience with the whole thing, and point out that LW was also a child in the whole situation. 

Now how to go about giving it to Chelsea, or not, without inviting further conversations... Idk. Chelsea's trauma is not Law's responsibility to resolve.
  • I feel for Chelsea here.  She's a victim in a pattern of behavior and the LW also is a victim.  Hopefully LW seeks therapy as well.

I'm not sure what the right answer is here.  LW probably created a sense of armor to protect themself and Chelsea was probably far more vulnerable.  LW's response may sound cold to Chelsea but is likely the coping mechanism due to the parents' pattern of behavior.  

I would hope that the LW would consider reaching out to Chelsea only because Chelsea didn't ask for any of this and if she is hurt an olive branch extension and explanation may help.  It doesn't mean that the LW has to befriend Chelsea or maintain contact but perhaps it can clear the air while Chelsea is desiring some closure. 
  • This is difficult because Chelsea is obviously hurting but I would probably write a letter of my own. I would say that I was dealing with my own issues growing up, what LW said about not bonding as sisters and generally having a different experience with the whole thing, and point out that LW was also a child in the whole situation. 

Now how to go about giving it to Chelsea, or not, without inviting further conversations... Idk. Chelsea's trauma is not Law's responsibility to resolve.
    This is where I am.  
  • Agreed with @missJeanLouise about the letter. Let Chelsea know you were dealing with stuff yourself and unfortunately she had to endure as she was around.

But LW needs therapy
  • banana468 said:
    I feel for Chelsea here.  She's a victim in a pattern of behavior and the LW also is a victim.  Hopefully LW seeks therapy as well.

I'm not sure what the right answer is here.  LW probably created a sense of armor to protect themself and Chelsea was probably far more vulnerable.  LW's response may sound cold to Chelsea but is likely the coping mechanism due to the parents' pattern of behavior.  

I would hope that the LW would consider reaching out to Chelsea only because Chelsea didn't ask for any of this and if she is hurt an olive branch extension and explanation may help.  It doesn't mean that the LW has to befriend Chelsea or maintain contact but perhaps it can clear the air while Chelsea is desiring some closure. 
    The letter was about how the LW can get her mother to stop bugging her about joining Chelsea's therapy.  So my advice focuses on that.  That she needs to tell the mom the subject is off limits and then hang up/leave anytime the mom brings it up.

But in the big picture, the LW hasn't shown very much kindness.  I'm not going to blame her for her HS actions because she was a kid and it's hard to fight peer pressure, but I was a bit put off by her attitude that she didn't need to defend Chelsea  because Chelsea wasn't really her sister.  What about just the fact that Chelsea was a classmate who was being bullied?  The world would be a better place if more people would stand up and not allow others to be bullied or taken advantage of.

For the present day, she should have replied to Chelsea's letter.  Even if it was just to wish her well and decline being part of the therapy, because she doesn't feel they ever had a close relationship.  She could have ended the letter with something like she does not want to stay in communication.  After that, it's okay to ignore any other communications from Chelsea.  No, she wasn't obligated to do any of that.  But this was someone she lived with for three years who is hurting.  Someone for whom being totally ignored would hurt her more deeply.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2021
    We all have caused trauma to someone in our lives.  Some of it, I did with eyes wide open, knowing I was going to do it; I made those choices to save myself and put myself first.  I wouldn't apologize for doing them because I'm not sorry I took those actions.  And saying, "I'm sorry my actions hurt you" strikes me as a fake apology.

LW would be caught in the same spiral, I think  She's not sorry for decisions she made as a teenager, FFS, and I don't think she has to be.  LW should tell mom they aren't discussing it anymore, mom and Chelsea are working through their stuff are their choices, but LW isn't interested in the same.  And there's not a damn thing wrong with that.  LW isn't obligated to be part of someone's healing.  Chelsea and mom pushing is very selfish and gross, IMHO.  Maybe they can talk to Chelsea's therapist about that instead.
  • Sure LW isn’t responsible for Chelsea’s healing but sounds like she stepped asked when Chelsea was being bullied and did nothing. Sister or not she was complicit because she saw it happening and did nothing. 

LW sounds like they experienced a lot of trauma, have a lot of resentment toward both parents, and have not really dealt with any of it. You’re not required to aid in anyone else’s healing but you are responsible for your own. 
  • VarunaTT said:
    We all have caused trauma to someone in our lives.  Some of it, I did with eyes wide open, knowing I was going to do it; I made those choices to save myself and put myself first.  I wouldn't apologize for doing them because I'm not sorry I took those actions.  And saying, "I'm sorry my actions hurt you" strikes me as a fake apology.

LW would be caught in the same spiral, I think  She's not sorry for decisions she made as a teenager, FFS, and I don't think she has to be.  LW should tell mom they aren't discussing it anymore, mom and Chelsea are working through their stuff are their choices, but LW isn't interested in the same.  And there's not a damn thing wrong with that.  LW isn't obligated to be part of someone's healing.  Chelsea and mom pushing is very selfish and gross, IMHO.  Maybe they can talk to Chelsea's therapist about that instead.
    To the bolded and in this instance I feel like you're both correct here however it could help for Chelsea to understand that this was the coping mechanism that worked at the time.  That's also especially relevant when Chelsea is coping with the results of her teens while the LW was a teen, still under the control of one or both parents and not able to be on her own.    Her own brain wasn't fully formed yet.

LW may have to say, "I did what I needed to do," but I'm hopeful that there's an answer in there that, "You were the unfortunate recipient of my coping mechanism." 

IMO, she owes her mother zero answers but a one-time contact to Chelsea may help.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2021
    Love love love your wording @MyNameIsNot
    Not positive but I think in AITA on reddit there's an opposite of everyone sucks?  Like, no one sucks here?  Or you feel bad for everyone?  I feel for both Chelsea and the LW, but in no way should LW feel on the hook for any of Chelsea's stuff.

edit words are hard sometimes
  • ei34 said:
    Love love love your wording @MyNameIsNot
    Not positive but I think in AITA on reddit there's an opposite of everyone sucks?  Like, no one sucks here?  Or you feel bad for everyone?  I feel for both Chelsea and the LW, but in no way should LW feel on the hook for any of Chelsea's stuff.

edit words are hard sometimes
    NAH - Noone's an Asshole Here
    Wedding Countdown Ticker