Wedding Woes

Avoid him. You don't have to 'depend' on him.

Dear Prudence,

We have met our new neighbor, and he has SS and other worrying tattoos. I honestly don’t know how to handle this. Neo-Nazism and white supremacy are anathema, but in this small community we are interdependent. How do I interact with this hairy, scary man and the evil ideology I suspect he espouses? Do I try the Quaker approach and seek the god in him? Is this as big a deal as it seems to me? Help me, please?

— Peace Lover

Re: Avoid him. You don't have to 'depend' on him.

• You don’t depend on him because he’s a Nazi. How is this confusing?
  • What the…He’s a Nazi. You don’t interact with him. You turn him into a social pariah (for you personally at least). He is a persona non grata. You don’t have to feel bad about this and frankly it’s worrying that you do. This hand wringing from what I’m assuming is a white woman is ridiculous. 

• I am so extremely confused as to how you would be forced to be dependent on him specifically.
    Same.
  • I am so extremely confused as to how you would be forced to be dependent on him specifically.
    This.  What is it that you are depending on him for? 
  • Sounds like he was the one who just moved in so you don’t have to bring him into the community. Why should others feel unsafe because he’s new?
  • Sounds like he was the one who just moved in so you don’t have to bring him into the community. Why should others feel unsafe because he’s new?
    If I saw someone move in who clearly wore or had tattooed on him visible markings that he identified with hate groups, I would not feel safe.
  • Is this a commune or something? Why is your small community interdependent? 
  • Is this a commune or something? Why is your small community interdependent? 
    I don't know.  As I've started to see some neighborhoods in town I think some are rather close-knit with kids playing, etc.  The LW may have had a poor choice of words but if it's the kind of place where kids play in the street and neighbors know each other I would be at a loss as to how to navigate it too. 
  • If I was forced to interact with him occasionally, like what @banana468 described, I would employ my stoic face and tone.  The face and tone that says without words, "I really dislike you, but I won't cause a scene."  

But anytime the neighbor made a hateful comment, I would speak up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    Is this a commune or something? Why is your small community interdependent? 
    I don't know.  As I've started to see some neighborhoods in town I think some are rather close-knit with kids playing, etc.  The LW may have had a poor choice of words but if it's the kind of place where kids play in the street and neighbors know each other I would be at a loss as to how to navigate it too. 
    When my sister moved into her current house, her neighbors/neighborhood started off like this.  They did monthly Bunco and parties and all that crap.   It took about 2 years for dumb shit to start happening, LOL.  Backstabbing, jealousy, fights, husbands getting drunk and stupid.  Fun times.  

My other sister and I totally thought it was all weird in the beginning and took bets on how long this neighborly harmony would last.  LMAO