Wedding Woes

Prudie Day

Never-ending week.  Don't feel like focusing on actual problems so I'll instead vent on a FWP- I wanted to wait and see if family matching jammies would go down in price, but I definitely waited too long bc I'm not seeing anything I like now.  Or I'll see something nice but not in all our sizes.  Bah humbug.  Hope it's a good/quick day for everyone!

Re: Prudie Day

• ei34 said:
    Never-ending week.  Don't feel like focusing on actual problems so I'll instead vent on a FWP- I wanted to wait and see if family matching jammies would go down in price, but I definitely waited too long bc I'm not seeing anything I like now.  Or I'll see something nice but not in all our sizes.  Bah humbug.  Hope it's a good/quick day for everyone!
    I was sucked in by the Pottery Barn Grinch ones and paid full price. Feels like a scam but they’re cute. 
  • I’m cashing in on a lot if black friday deals.  They’re earlier and earlier this year. Curvy Couture has a buy 2 bras, get 2 free sale going on, and they stocked up on my sizes (last time I checked they were sold out)  so I figured it was meant to be (@short+sassy, this is the one Cynthia put me in right away at my fitting!)

My nextdoor app had a post alert this morning about someone posting that he’s looking to date, and where he lived and what he likes to do for fun.  It was cute.  Not the right place for it, but made me LOL.  Some people were blasting him “this isn’t tinder!” but the majority of the people were praising him for being innoventive.  I’m sure a dating section will be in the future. 

• Morning!!  

My passport has shipped!!  WOOHOO!!  I'm so excited.  

DefConn got a new haircut last night.  When he was a baby, we just let his hair grow long.  After kindergarten, he wanted to cut it off and go for a shaved sides and long on top look (DH has the same haircut).  Last night, he cut the top off and is going for a modified mullet/rockabilly type look.  I'm feeling things about this.  It's just hair, but he's been known for his hair all his life (and there was a period where we were asked constantly, "When are you going to cut his hair?!" and we defiantly ignored them...which don't ask parents that question for all the reasons).  He also grew up like 5 years with the new cut. Damn kids wanting their independence and autonomy. 

In other news, DH after everything, is going back to his old company.  He's been miserable at his current job (for so many reasons, but the schedule is killing both of us) and his old boss and director really want him back because they have a lot coming up in 2022 with closing the old account he was on and bringing on new accounts, plus other accounts expanding their business with them.  He apologized to me for putting me through this ridiculous emotional rollercoaster for months and I really appreciate it.  I just want him content with his work/life balance and his mental health has been in the shitter for weeks now.  

I just made my Christmas budget...LOL.  I need to start making orders ASAP.  

Anyhoo...Prudie coming up. 
  • ei34 said:
    Honestly, I've found anywhere that sells jammies can do it. Last year we got lucky on our {my} decision of black and red plaid pants and black top. BK already had the pants, and we got her a black top.
    Hope is not lost :)
  • Except for tired still, BK is better :)
    Unfortunately tired means she nearly fell asleep at dinner, then fell asleep sitting up when I put her on the couch.
    I tried to gently wake her after a bit, and she wasn't awake enough to realize it was me so she swatted me lol

Obv this also means she did not go to sleep when we put her bed. She stayed in bed but she kept just rolling around. An hour after she's suppose to be in bed, she yells out
    "Maaammaaaa ..... I miss you!"
    Me: Little love, go to sleep *facepalm*

I ended up getting her like 30mins later because she leaned back and smacked her head, causing tears.
    She was fine, I think it startled her more than anything.
  • Side note, M & I decided scale back and do clutter-less gifts mostly.
    BK's preschool has regular fundraisers and for xmas they have purdy's chocolate.
    We're probably doing teas and chocolates and photos of BK for a few people .... everyone loves an updated physical photo.
  • @CharmedPam, some of your neighbors on NextDoor sound "bah humbug".  At least where I live, while I've never seen a dating post, there are often posts with people looking for meetups.  So a dating one doesn't seem unusual to me.

Not just women who might read his ad and directly be interested, but I could totally see some neighbors being matchmakers and sending his ad to a friend/relative that is also single and looking.

@mrsconn23, I'm sorry your H's new job hasn't worked out for him.  But, if he was unhappy at his old job also, is the company making any changes for him to make it better?  

I am so angry about my curbside pick-up shop last night.  The location is a good 30 minutes away from where I live and about 20 minutes away from my work (opposite direction).  So it makes the most sense for me to do this shop after I get off work.  Since I was going to be in that area, I decided to stop at an Ollie's discount place first because I have never been to one and was curious.  I did at least score an amazing deal on coffee pods, which I'd been needing anyway.  But, since I wasn't sure how long I would be at Ollie's, I didn't place my order until I was done.

As an aside, Ollie's turned out to be very Big Lots-esque.  But, oddly, also had some construction/home reno materials.  For example, they sell 4mm, high quality luxury vinyl plank, waterproof flooring.  It was only $2/square foot which is an unbelievable price.  Most places sell that for twice as much.  They also had racks of carpeting rolls and area throw rugs (including very large ones).

I go to place my restaurant order once I was done shopping and the soonest appointment time I could choose was NINETY minutes later!!  WTF!!.  It's not like I'm having it delivered, I'm picking it up!  There is no way I was going to hang out, twiddling my thumbs, in their parking lot or somewhere else for 90 minutes.  Instead, I picked up Rally's and went home.  Now I need to get in touch with my scheduler, explain what happened, and see if I can go on a different day.  But I'm so mad I need to make a special trip out there again.  Such a waste of my time.

I'm hoping she lets me put it off until Monday.  If not, I could do it tonight when I'm done with my Costco scanning.  But that would make it an even more insanely long and tiring day.

Really busy day at work also.  I have no motivation, but need to amp up my productivity.  Prudie will not help with that, lol.  But I don't care.  I'm still glad it's Prudie day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm sitting here at my desk minding my own business reading posts and sipping coffee. My dog walked in, sat down next to me, ripped a giant fart, and then got up and walked away. That about sums up my day so far. 
    LOLOLOLOL
  • I picked up my dog from the animal hospital yesterday. She's doing good and mostly just sleeping, I'm sure from all the meds she's on. Hasn't really eaten any food aside from the treats I've given her. But she's drinking water and peeing. I have to ice her leg 3 times a day and she hates it so that's fun..lol. She's not putting any weight on her leg just yet but that will come in time. I have to say though the staples on the incision site look intense and I feel so bad for her. 

I'm super thankful my job has let me WFH with her while she recovers, but it also makes me so angry that we practically have to beg for it. Such BS. 
    I'm so glad your dog is doing well, all things considered.

To the bolded.  Yeah.  I probably wouldn't be allowed to WFH for MY OWN LEG that just had surgery (hypothetically speaking).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I picked up my dog from the animal hospital yesterday. She's doing good and mostly just sleeping, I'm sure from all the meds she's on. Hasn't really eaten any food aside from the treats I've given her. But she's drinking water and peeing. I have to ice her leg 3 times a day and she hates it so that's fun..lol. She's not putting any weight on her leg just yet but that will come in time. I have to say though the staples on the incision site look intense and I feel so bad for her. 

I'm super thankful my job has let me WFH with her while she recovers, but it also makes me so angry that we practically have to beg for it. Such BS. 

To the bolded.  Yeah.  I probably wouldn't be allowed to WFH for MY OWN LEG that just had surgery (hypothetically speaking).
    It really pisses me off that after having to WFH during the height of the pandemic, so many businesses haven't evolved. 

When things first started shutting down, the owners decided we were an "essential business" and actually gave us letters to keep in our cars in case we were pulled over and questioned as to where we were going. We eventually had to shut down the office after 3 Covid cases. I think we were at home for 8 weeks before they started saying we had to come back. This was last summer before any conversations were even happening about vaccines. And the owners of my business are in their 40s - not much older than me. You'd think they'd evolve. 

It really pisses me off that after having to WFH during the height of the pandemic, so many businesses haven't evolved. 

When things first started shutting down, the owners decided we were an "essential business" and actually gave us letters to keep in our cars in case we were pulled over and questioned as to where we were going. We eventually had to shut down the office after 3 Covid cases. I think we were at home for 8 weeks before they started saying we had to come back. This was last summer before any conversations were even happening about vaccines. And the owners of my business are in their 40s - not much older than me. You'd think they'd evolve. 
    Yes!  My company pulled that same "essential business/employees" crap.  But that wasn't the spirit those rules were meant for.

To me, that was meant for essential businesses who can't run without employees being in the workplace.  Like working at a grocery store.

But not for essential employees who can just as easily WFH and it's only the company they work for that "doesn't like it".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I had that gripe with DH's employer.  They need to get with the times because their competition is courting and wooing away employees.  

Younger doesn't always mean having a firm feeling on the pulse of the industry.  
  • @VarunaTT, I'd do everything you can to avoid heel surgery.  DH had heel surgery for a bone spur almost 10 years ago (and did physical therapy before and after).  He was a runner before and hasn't been able to run since.  He's regretted it on and off since. 
  • I’m glad pup is doing better @climbingsingle. FI’s employer is the same way. They’re not that much older but they view WFH employees with such distrust and they’re upset they can’t micromanage them the way they want when they’re at home. It’s ridiculous. 

Yesterday was a longgggg day. Work was just annoying. Someone new at the call center kept telling people to just show up so we could triage and treat in person. Uhhh, that’s not how it works and it’s why we have a telephone line. We are not an ER or Urgent Care. And there was at least one case that should have gone to ER so they delayed care by sending them to me first. A few simple questions from a triage nurse would have determined ER was appropriate. Ugh. 

Back at work today. I need to figure out what I’m making for thanksgiving. I’m taking a break from my usual rule of one family per holiday (instead of killing ourselves to make multiple events), but I think from now on there might be exceptions. Everyone is getting older and I’m not sure how many holidays they have left. My grandfather begins his treatment for bladder cancer today. 

Good vibes for DH and your family as he transitions @mrsconn23. I know it’s been a wild ride for you guys. 

• @ei34 nah, picky is fine. You have an idea in mind.
    Last year 2 days before xmas I had a meltdown over pjs.
    I bought M a set, BK a top and myself pants. My pants didn't fit - tag was wrong. So obv the first year I do something it goes wrong! I was so mad. We couldn't exchange either.

M ended up telling me to "go nap while BK naps" {it helps me calm down often} and while I was asleep, he ended up going to find a pair of pants that fit me.

So I totally get it
  • levioosa said:
    I’m glad pup is doing better @climbingsingle. FI’s employer is the same way. They’re not that much older but they view WFH employees with such distrust and they’re upset they can’t micromanage them the way they want when they’re at home. It’s ridiculous. 

What kills me is that for the 8 weeks we were home, we had Zoom calls that everyone attended. Countless phone calls. All emails answered. We gave them no reason to not trust that people weren't working. Meanwhile 90% of our customers are restaurants, caterers and event venues that WERE NOT OPEN. The few that were open were operating under such small capacities. We were not busy, and my team worked on returning every piece of inventory we could. Things only started ramping up this year when the city "reopened". Yet we were forced to have butts in seats every day since June 2020.

My boss has been emailing me nonstop today and I know it's because he wants to see how quickly I answer. *roll eyes*
  • I’m with everyone on WFH- my company announced a very structured hybrid approach (everyone in the same 3 days and pick your own 3rd day) and people are pissed! We worked through a pandemic and a large acquisition remotely and now your want to be prescriptive about “flexibility” lol no wonder we have a turnover problem. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2021
    ei34 said:
    @MissKittyDanger oh there are tons of pj's left, including the black and red checked...I have certain styles I really like and those are either too pricey or the price went down but sizes aren't available...I'm being picky and ridiculous lol
    @mrsconn23 omg a haircut ages a boy 3 years.  DS gets basically the same cut each time (next appt is this Sunday), not even a new style, and he always looks like an 8-yr-old afterwards.  Glad your H is able to transition back
    Continued healing vibes to your pup @climbingsingle

With everyone on the WFH gripes.  Even with vaccines and boosters...if one can fully do their job from home, why make everyone come in 100% of the time??  One of my sisters and a few cousins starting working in person 1-2 days a week back in Sept, they say it's a nice balance.  As an educator I firmly want to be in person (unless there was another crisis like Spring of 2020) but for those who can do their jobs as effectively from home...why not?
    Agreed!  My ideal would be a hybrid schedule where I WFH M-W-F and worked in the office T-TH.  It breaks up the monotony with a change of scenery and there's something about the personal touch of being able to see your coworkers in-person.  But between all-office or all-WFH, I vastly prefer WFH.

Engineering seems to be a feast or famine kind of job, at least where I live.  Either everyone is looking for engineers and there aren't enough.  Or engineering jobs are few and far between, while many of them are getting laid off.

At any rate, right now like in many industries, it's feast time and engineers can have their pick of jobs.  The company I work for is DESPERATE to find them.  Our work has increased, but our staffing has shrunk because they are losing people left and right.  Most other engineering firms have WFH or hybrid schedules, while we are only "in the office, all the time".  It puts them at a disadvantage both to keep current employees or hire new ones. 

It's almost funny.  They complain about how hard it is to find and retain engineers.  While refusing to do the ONE thing that most employees are looking for in the current economic climate.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • M's new job is right now 95% WFH but with chance to work in the "shared office space" Which will be helpful if I'm on holidays with BK and he doesn't want to disturb our time.

We have zero idea when he'll be more in office, but I've asked him to get a vibe about it by February - if they're keeping wfh for at least another year, great. If not, we need to know for when we register BK for kindergarden - if he's wfh, then she is busing. If he's going to be fully in office, then we have to register for after school program.
  • ei34 said:
    @MissKittyDanger oh there are tons of pj's left, including the black and red checked...I have certain styles I really like and those are either too pricey or the price went down but sizes aren't available...I'm being picky and ridiculous lol
    @mrsconn23 omg a haircut ages a boy 3 years.  DS gets basically the same cut each time (next appt is this Sunday), not even a new style, and he always looks like an 8-yr-old afterwards.  Glad your H is able to transition back
    Continued healing vibes to your pup @climbingsingle

With everyone on the WFH gripes.  Even with vaccines and boosters...if one can fully do their job from home, why make everyone come in 100% of the time??  One of my sisters and a few cousins starting working in person 1-2 days a week back in Sept, they say it's a nice balance.  As an educator I firmly want to be in person (unless there was another crisis like Spring of 2020) but for those who can do their jobs as effectively from home...why not?
    Agreed!  My ideal would be a hybrid schedule where I WFH M-W-F and worked in the office T-TH.  It breaks up the monotony with a change of scenery and there's something about the personal touch of being able to see your coworkers in-person.  But between all-office or all-WFH, I vastly prefer WFH.

Engineering seems to be a feast or famine kind of job, at least where I live.  Either everyone is looking for engineers and there aren't enough.  Or engineering jobs are few and far between, while many of them are getting laid off.

At any rate, right now like in many industries, it's feast time and engineers can have their pick of jobs.  The company I work for is DESPERATE to find them.  Our work has increased, but our staffing has shrunk because they are losing people left and right.  Most other engineering firms have WFH or hybrid schedules, while we are only "in the office, all the time".  It puts them at a disadvantage both to keep current employees or hire new ones. 

It's almost funny.  They complain about how hard it is to find and retain engineers.  While refusing to do the ONE thing that most employees are looking for in the current economic climate.
    @short+sassy DH is an engineer and this is the issue with his employer.  They actively recruit from colleges but many hired once there realize that the benefits from other companies are FAR superior. 

DH has considered leaving and he's been there for nearly 20 years. Middle management has brought to their attention that their failure to address their retention problem is going to be a major issue as the boomers retire.  
  • So weird thoughts:

For sale: 65 BANEBERRY CRESCENT, Ottawa, Ontario K2L2Y3 - 1271075 | REALTOR.ca

This is a house on my street for sale. For reference, except for the finished basement and kitchen layout, this is same as our house {you'll see why on kitchen}
    I really like the kitchen and now considering taking out walls .... 

Pro vs con?
    M says less walls don't help value but I think visually it's better.

Also that bathroom. Stripes.
    I never thought about it but I like the look on the half bath. Then do master bath just white walls?

Anyways .... anyone's thoughts on these visually?
  • So weird thoughts:

This is a house on my street for sale. For reference, except for the finished basement and kitchen layout, this is same as our house {you'll see why on kitchen}

Pro vs con?

I never thought about it but I like the look on the half bath. Then do master bath just white walls?

M is right, taking out the kitchen walls won't help value or at least not much.  But it does look better and visual is important also, plus it gives it more of an "open concept" which is what most people want.

It's pretty cheap and easy to tear down a wall, as long as it isn't load bearing.

However, a potential problem with taking out walls is that the flooring won't match and/or there will be a missing area of floor where the walls used to sit.  And that can get very expensive, very fast, unless you were already planning to replace the floors.

I was inspired myself for one of our rentals from a listing I saw.  I was looking at the pictures for a few minutes, when it suddenly hit me that the listing was pretty much the same house as mine.  I was completely shocked!  My rental house vs. that house were like night and day.  My rental house is a pretty mundane brick, ranch house.  The inside isn't any more exciting.  But that listed house was so upscale looking!

One of the big differences is they had taken out the wall that separated the kitchen from the living room.  They had then added in a large, kitchen island with an oven top and everything.  I almost fainted when I saw the price for one of those babies!  It was something like $3500-$4000. 

No way was I spending the kind of money they had dropped to make my rental house that gorgeous, lol.    But it did inspire me to take out the top half of that wall.  Except for the last 4-5' at the corner.  We lost the upper cabinets, but gained a bigger counter space that people could pull stools up to from the living room.  Plus now there was a sight line between most of the kitchen and the living room.  It opened that space up so much!  It looked a lot better.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So weird thoughts:

Pro vs con?

M is right, taking out the kitchen walls won't help value or at least not much.  But it does look better and visual is important also, plus it gives it more of an "open concept" which is what most people want.

It's pretty cheap and easy to tear down a wall, as long as it isn't load bearing.

However, a potential problem with taking out walls is that the flooring won't match and/or there will be a missing area of floor where the walls used to sit.  And that can get very expensive, very fast, unless you were already planning to replace the floors.

I was inspired myself for one of our rentals from a listing I saw.  I was looking at the pictures for a few minutes, when it suddenly hit me that the listing was pretty much the same house as mine.  I was completely shocked!  My rental house vs. that house were like night and day.  My rental house is a pretty mundane brick, ranch house.  The inside isn't any more exciting.  But that listed house was so upscale looking!

One of the big differences is they had taken out the wall that separated the kitchen from the living room.  They had then added in a large, kitchen island with an oven top and everything.  I almost fainted when I saw the price for one of those babies!  It was something like $3500-$4000. 

No way was I spending the kind of money they had dropped to make my rental house that gorgeous, lol.    But it did inspire me to take out the top half of that wall.  Except for the last 4-5' at the corner.  We lost the upper cabinets, but gained a bigger counter space that people could pull stools up to from the living room.  Plus now there was a sight line between most of the kitchen and the living room.  It opened that space up so much!  It looked a lot better.    
    I would have assumed it was a load baring but our neighbour {not house linked} ended up cutting part of their wall down to make a bar type concept/island attached to the remaining wall. Which could still be an option.

I'm big on open concepts, but you're right. It might look weird. Our kitchen floors are a marble style tile, and rest is hardwood.

The ovens built into the islands are soooo cool but apparently a HUGE BITCH to fix lol
    My kitchen is so dark, you have to use a light to look. I'm not sure I like that. I'm always trying to brighten it.

• I would have assumed it was a load baring but our neighbour {not house linked} ended up cutting part of their wall down to make a bar type concept/island attached to the remaining wall. Which could still be an option.

I'm big on open concepts, but you're right. It might look weird. Our kitchen floors are a marble style tile, and rest is hardwood.

The ovens built into the islands are soooo cool but apparently a HUGE BITCH to fix lol
    My kitchen is so dark, you have to use a light to look. I'm not sure I like that. I'm always trying to brighten it.
    It might be a load bearing wall but, as long as enough of the wall remains, it's fine to take out sections of it.  But consult with a professional on that!

In the listing, a large part of the wall is still there.

I can't imagine we would ever do it.  But my H and I have had "what if" talks about turning our personal duplex into a single, family house.  One of our neighbors did that with a similar style house, ie shotgun double.

In a shotgun double, the only interior wall that is usually load bearing is the middle one that runs all the way down the property and separates the two units.

With our neighbor's house, most of the middle interior wall remained.  But there were many doors and entry ways cut out of it, to change the layout and make it flow as "one" house.

Not going to lie, I thought it was so crazy they did that.  That's an enormous and expensive reno, for something that doesn't add any value.  That's "hiring an architect" kind of stuff, lol.  Plus most of the flooring needs to be redone.  You have to take an entire kitchen out and turn that room into something else.  There will be at least some electricity and plumbing work.  And those are just the things off the top of my head.

It would have been a lot cheaper to sell their house and buy a similar one that was already a SFH.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker