Wedding Woes

Monday

VarunaTTVarunaTT member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited December 2021 in Wedding Woes
It was a good weekend. 

If you loved the first Matrix movie, take the time to see it on the big screen again (I think all of the major movie chains are showing it at this point).  It was actually really special and nostalgic for me.  A few things in seeing it on the big screen again:  I'm guilty of zoning out when I watch things on the TV.  This movie does.not.stop.  I forgot how intense all of the action and storyline really was and couldn't convince myself to leave my seat to go to the restroom.  I still got chills on that first shot when Trinity leaps into the air and the camera stops and zooms around her.  This is the movie that revolutionized cinematography and it STILL looks damn new and fresh.  It holds it own against any film in the last 20 years and, really, is a damn sight better than a lot of newer films (new Mortal Kombat, I'm looking at you).  Hearing it through the theatre sound system again was amazing and that soundtrack is still nothing but bangers.  There were some scenes that were hard for me to watch b/c of how the story/philosophy behind it has been twisted (the red pill scene), but it was also good to watch those scenes with that knowledge in mind.  It brought home how easy it really is for things to be twisted into radicalization.  I'm probably going to go see it again, just because I can.  I can't even tell you how many times I saw it in the theatre the first time, but I know it was close to 10 and I've never been w/out it on DVD.  ETA: Oh, the other thing was how many iconic scene shots there are.  So many times I would just grin at seeing another scene that I loved on the big screen.

Went to a friend's queer folk music concert on Saturday and then went out with friends.  Had a lovely time, but staying out late meant I slept most of the day on Sunday.  I adore my friend and his version of Wildflowers, with his storytelling, always makes me ugly cry.

Tonight, going to see Batman Returns on the big screen.  I think we bought the tickets almost 2 months ago, so I had comletely forgotten until friend reminded me Saturday night.  So, I'm super excited about that.  I love the Keaton Batman's and Michelle Pfeiffer and Danny Devito were some of the best Batman villians.

Otherwise, the week is looking mostly the same.

Re: Monday

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2021
    Hey! It's bright and sunny today, which helps because otherwise it's Monday...blerg. 

The weekend was pretty decent.  Friday was pretty low-key.  Saturday, we went to my sister's to bake cookies and celebrate December bdays.  Yesterday, I made cinnamon rolls.  Our friends M and L came over with their kids. We had a huge Sunday dinner spread with steaks, potatoes, salad, broccoli, brussel sprouts (with a honey balsamic glaze, garlic, bacon, and bleu cheese. I made the glaze with hot honey and O.M.G. I cannot stop thinking about it), and crab cakes.  We finished the night with the Succession finale.  

M and DH went to HS together and have been friends for more than 20 years. When DH and I moved to our current house over 7 years ago and we were only 10 min from M, we tried to get together with M and his ex-wife R from time to time.  There was always a reason R didn't want to get together.  And I tried to hang out with her a few times one on one and it just...crashed and burned for me.  So I stopped trying. 

When M got divorced, he had a lot less restrictions on his time. M and DH got a lot closer.  When L came into the picture, she and I fell into a very easy friendship and we've become extremely close.  We get together with M and L on average twice a month, more if I need to pick up L's son for her.  M and L got engaged over thanksgiving.  Now, R is up.my.ass with IG comments on everything.  I sent home a pan of cinnamon rolls with M's kids for their mom's house and she texted me last night thanking me and asking about freezing and heating them for Christmas..it was, like, 4 or 5 really chummy texts. It's fucking hilarious to me because she barely gave me the time of of day unless I asked for it when she was married to M.  It's all very curious. Ha. 

Oh and a show rec. "Sex Lives of College Girls" on HBOMax.  It's by Mindy Kaling.  It's really funny, but also cringey and sweet.  DH and I bust a gut at least once an episode. 

SSDD otherwise.  
  • @VarunaTT Our theaters aren't doing that and I'm not gonna lie, I'm mildly irked :\ 
    The new one comes out on the 22nd and that's same day as my drivers test, so I told M that if I pass we have to set up a good date to watch it over the holidays lol Idk if Netflix has the movies, but I do and plan on re-watching them before watching 4th.
    I am ridiculously excited - I heart me some Keanu but I adore Matrix series!

@mrsconn23 sounds like R is trying to get intel on M's new life lol
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2021
    Friday was a pretty busy day off.  I had my booster, brought a bunch of old clothing to Goodwill to donate (and I have more to go!), took Chiquita to soccer and then we scarfed a quick dinner when we went to Elf Shelf which is a cute thing Chiquito's school does where the 4th graders are elves and help the younger kids ship for Christmas gifts for the family.  Gifts are $2 ea and gift wrapping is a whopping extra $1.  

Elf Shelf was SUPER busy.  I started writing out gift tags as people came in and I looked up and an hour and 40 minutes had passed.  One 4th grade class was stuck quarantining so they were down SEVERAL elves, the line backed up and my 6th grade Chiquita became a volunteer elf.  DH decided to forego using an elf and just shopped with Chiquito himself so bummer DH - you know what you're getting!    They also had a raffle and DH bought tickets.  I am the winner of the Mom basket so I have a gift cert for a massage, shopping, fitness lessons and some others headed my way.  I'm pumped!  Chiquita was a HUGE help too and it was great to hear the good reviews. 

Saturday I crashed.  The vaccine caught up with me and I had milder but similar aches that I did with my 2nd Pfizer vaccine.  I pounded water on Friday which hopefully helped and I scored a nap Saturday afternoon.

I did discover by Sunday that Chiquita has not done her math homework which is SO frustrating.  She has no screens until it's done and this week's assignment is done.   We need her back on track and she has to do it in the family room too.  No more adolescent attitude!!!!

ETA - We did have the town light parade last night.  It was GREAT but they had a DJ who played while the parade went.  We talked with FIL who knows the parade planners and we said they HAVE to give that DJ clear instructions to play before and after the parade but not during.  The floats have their own music and some dance troops were coming by and we could not hear their dance music.   It was cheery Christmas music but the instructions need to be clear next time.  
  • Weekend was decent.

Saturday was good to finally sleep in and just be lowkey. Weather was not good, so we didn't take BK outside.
    BK did throw a fit, so to diffuse the situation I put her on time out - which worked the way I intended {aka remove her from situation, put her in a safe spot, and have her calm down}
    After she settled, she asked to do playdoh - perfect!
    During nap, M went to do some minimal errands. Mall was busy so he didn't even make it inside. He opted to go to a different place with similar stores .... I did get irked, he went over budget and missed things from the list.

We planned on doing a light show that night, but the wind was picking up like crazy so we figured best not to go. We're going to try again this coming Saturday.

Sunday BK went to see BIL & SIL - she had a blast and it was such a beautiful day for it. They have a park nearby so they took BK and their dog there. It'll be so much better in nice weather.
    I practiced parallel parking. Correction. I kept screwing up, cried and then did it right 2x
    Then I drove home to vacuum, decompress and drink coffee while M picked up BK from SIL & BIL

I'm prepping my grocery list because BK is home after this week - extra snacks *heavy eye roll*
    I definitely have more snacks and fruit than imagined, plus a few quick breakfast items that M can make and give BK {like waffles, or a bowl or dry cereal}
  • Yeah, I can say R isn't gonna get shit from me.

L even noticed the uptick in IG comments.  I was all, "Do not worry about it.  I literally was never friends with her and I did give it the old college try."  Ha. 
  • I haven't seen the Matrix either but I don't count, I'm bad with popular movies (and shows).  That's nice that you were able to re-watch in the theater @VarunaTT  That's strange about M @mrsconn23 and omg I adore everything Mindy puts out.
    @banana468 my kids' school does their version of Elf Shelf during the school day.  They go in with $5 each with the instructions to buy a gift for each of their siblings and they may also purchase something for themselves.   What's sweet is they all get so excited to give their sibs the gifts they picked...I already helped them wrap so they are ready for the 25th.

Weekend was nice.  Progress reports are due tomorrow so 7:30-9:30pm (usually my down time between when the kids go to bed and when I go to bed) all three nights were spent grading, but I got in a visit with my parents and youngest nephew, a walk through our local Botanic garden all lit up for Christmas, lit our pink advent candle, and a Christmas family movie night.  OH- and this year Target was selling pre-assembled gingerbread houses!  That's been my consistent downfall each year- will it stay up long enough that the kids can decorate it before it collapses?  I'm without a doubt the world's worst builder, so decorating a sturdy house this year was awesome.
  • @CharmedPam How did you never see Matrix!? Keanu is a delight and Carrie-Ann Moss is just iconic
  • @CharmedPam How did you never see Matrix!? Keanu is a delight and Carrie-Ann Moss is just iconic
    I know! Hence my head hanging in shame!

and Keanu is awesome.  I actually worked in a theatre when I lived in Winnipeg, and he stared in Hamlet.  Because I worked at the theatre, I was allowed to wait inside the lobby (this is big for people who live in Winterpeg in JANUARY) because he signed autographs took photos with the fans after the show.  He’s a good guy and should get my money.

• @ei34 the thought is that for future years it will be during the school day.  

In the past they also had food that helped to spread out the crowd but we couldn't do that due to COVID.  The other issue is that some people showed up and I was legit writing up to 17 tags per shopper.  We may also have to limit it to nuclear household or two households for those who may have their parents not living with each other.  When it's 4 Aunts and 5 uncles and 3 dogs?  OMG. 
  • @charlotte989875 ugh just seeing the rest of the Friday post- hope everyone is feeling okay.  When my baby nephew who is M's age had Covid last spring the big push was keeping him hydrated, hope you're all okay
  • @banana468, I had my booster on Friday also!  I got it at Winn Dixie (grocery store).  I strategically did my non-cold items shopping.  Got the booster vaccine.  Finished shopping for the cold goods.  Then used my $10 off coupon that the store gives for all vaccine shots.

I had heard stories that the booster was the worst one yet for side effects, but that was not my experience.  I had the least side effects from this one.  My arm hurt a little on Friday.  Saturday, I woke up with a bad headache, but it went away with my prescription headache medicine.  I wasn't tired throughout the day, but started feeling tired early and went to bed at 8pm.  Which is like 2-3 hours earlier than normal.  Sunday, my arm was SO SORE!  And a little itchy and red.  I found it kind of funny the soreness didn't hit until two days later.

I didn't have anything planned for the weekend since I hadn't been sure how I would be feeling.  Even though I (overall) felt fine, I still took the opportunity to binge on Hulu all weekend, lol.

I was so hurt and surprised this morning!  I got a message on my Reddit account that I had been permanently banned on the subreddit \\Landlord.  I post on there somewhat frequently and, while I occasionally correct misinformation some people have, I'm always nice about it.  I replied back to the message for more information as to why I was permanently banned.  Turns out it was an accident!  They had meant to permanently ban someone who had posted next to one of my posts.  To give the mod credit, they fixed it and replied back to me within one hour of my asking about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I know! Hence my head hanging in shame!

and Keanu is awesome.  I actually worked in a theatre when I lived in Winnipeg, and he stared in Hamlet.  Because I worked at the theatre, I was allowed to wait inside the lobby (this is big for people who live in Winterpeg in JANUARY) because he signed autographs took photos with the fans after the show.  He’s a good guy and should get my money.
    My envy is palpable O_O
  • I am stunned at everyone who hasn’t watched the matrix. 

@VarunaTT I know the alt right has co-opted the red pill but wasn’t it supposed to be a trans allegory?  Back in the day premarin (estrogen) was literally a red pill and Prozac was a blue pill they used to prescribe for “body dysmorphia.” 

Weekend was pretty good. We got some good hiking in, did my nails for the first time in months, and we had a cookie making palooza. They were so. good. I’m embarrassed to say we’ve eaten almost all of them over the weekend and there were….kind of a lot…. We also watched A Christmas Story which was a fun holiday tradition we haven’t done in a minute. 

Yesterday I was able to wrap some presents and take stock of where I’m at with shopping. I’m almost done. This almost spiraled out of control with Christmas. Originally we were supposed to go to FI’s parents house on Christmas Eve. And Christmas Day only my parents and grandparents and FSIL A and her H would come over. Then it spiraled into brunch with FSIL A’s in laws, FIs parents and his sister and her BF and maybe his other brother and his wife (FBIL B is still persona non grata). So 16 people if everyone was to come. Tbh all I really wanted to do for Christmas was stay in my PJs and have FSIL A and her H over but I felt obligated to offer a brunch to my parents and then they invited my grandparents. So now it’s back down to just my family and FI and FSIL A and her H. I’m actually a little relieved FI shut it down. It’s true, it would have been overwhelming and expensive. 

SSDD otherwise. I’m off on Friday so I just need to make it through the next four days. 

• @banana468 yikes, madness!  I don't know who the school vendors with but the kids come home with clearly marked envelopes where parents note how much total cash is enclosed, and then a column with a variety of family members listed, and how much should be used towards each recipient.  Very clear, and the couple of mom friends I know who volunteer at the event say it makes for quick shopping.  Lol re aunts, uncles and dogs.  My sisters and I promised to not have our kids buy that stuff for each other.  In my constant battle against clutter the last thing I need is a #1 Aunt scrunchie, lol
  • Oh no @kvruns. I hope everyone feels better soon. That sucks. 

• @charlotte989875 how is everyone feeling?

@kvruns yikes! Glad it's minimal
  • kvruns said:
    hi all!  I've been MIA, mostly I just get busy in the mornings and forget to check in - sorry!!  hope I haven't missed any important updates and everyone is doing well. 

I ended up testing postive for covid about a week and a half ago. I had cold symptoms but then noticed my sense of smell went away so I tested to be safe and got a positive. I've felt like I have a bad cold and then bad sinus infection, starting to be a little better now but still feel not amazing.  Despite DS being all up in my bizness all the time he tested negative 3 times on three different types of tests.  He had cold symptoms too and has generally been grumpy but never a fever or loss of smell for him.  Unfortunately because he was never positive he was home for my 10 day quarantine and now starts his own 14 day quarantine from school. Daycare is closed from December 23 through Jan 3rd so he's basically home for an entire month. It has gone as well as can be although I think of all of the things I needed to have done for Christmas and realize lots isn't happening because what few breaks I get from DS I'm either working or too tired to do anything
    This is why I'm so glad our kiddos are vaccinated.  We know that if DH or I test positive until the kids are considered vaccinated a week from today they have to quarantine for something like a minimum of 20 days.  
  • Thinking of you too @charlotte989875
    also, @kvruns could you have had a false positive maybe? 

• Thanks everyone, obviously our weekend sucked. I get that baby M has Covid. He’s doing fine, a little tired and a runny nose a bit of a cough but still playing and running around. Just hoping it passes quickly. 
  • @kvruns, I'm sorry to hear that!  But glad it has been mild and gone as well as can be expected.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh gosh, sorry to hear @kvruns.  Has your STBXH been able to help at all?  I hope that you feel fully better soon, I'm really sorry you're going through this.
  • @kvruns hope you're feeling better soon! 

I had a fun weekend. Hung out with my middle school BFFs Friday night. I still have heartburn though from margaritas. So fun getting old..lol. 
    Saturday I got my roots touched up (which was desperately needed) and a trim. Came home and just relaxed in bed. 
    Spent yesterday upstate with N. 
  • @levioosa it absolutely is a transgender allegory and the Wachowski sisters have even said so (for those who don't know, they are both transwomen who went public after...I think all of the Matrix movies were finished).  I think they went public after the MRA crap started.  I'm pretty sure they were both out before Sense8 made a huge splash.

Also, watching it now through lens of that knowledge is wow.  The entire character of Switch, who I always though was hot, is almost androgynous and very femmeboi and just...hanging out there being themselves and no one realizing that the entire damn movie is all queer AF.  Whew, the world has changed so much in 20 years.

@CharmedPam, I'm tempted to facetime you and watch it together, just so I can watch your reactions.  However, it's not quite the same as when it was originally on.  Now, we're used to seeing those shots/camera pans in movies.  I remember my mouth dropping open and gasping and others were gasping too on that first shot of Trinity leaping into the air and freezing, with the camera span around.  

@MissKittyDanger they are all on HBOMax.

• @banana468 yep he's getting his first dose tomorrow. He's only been eligible for 3 weeks but even then I'm not 100% sure if school would have let him go back sooner or not. 

sorry to hear that @charlotte989875 I hope you're all doing as well as can be.  My friend's son is 9-10 months old and just got over covid too :( 
  • ei34 said:
    Ugh gosh, sorry to hear @kvruns.  Has your STBXH been able to help at all?  I hope that you feel fully better soon, I'm really sorry you're going through this.
    not yet, but honestly I assumed DS was positive so we cancelled this past weekend. He did end up with his 3rd negative and could hve gone but has been so grumpy it didn't make sense

@CharmedPam I had 3 positives on 3 different types of tests
  • kvruns said:

@CharmedPam I had 3 positives on 3 different types of tests
    :( well, darn!

@kvruns hope you're feeling better soon! 

I had a fun weekend. Hung out with my middle school BFFs Friday night. I still have heartburn though from margaritas. So fun getting old..lol. 
    Saturday I got my roots touched up (which was desperately needed) and a trim. Came home and just relaxed in bed. 
    Spent yesterday upstate with N. 
    This is 100% me. Margs do it every time.  I have to be extra carful with acidic drinks now.  Right now, water & mio flavoring & vodka seem to be safe. Seem is the opperative word.

• I can't get margaritas at a restaurant.  I just get a bellyache from the sugar.  I make my own at home that seem to be easier on me because I use seltzer to cut the sugar down. 

Beer + anything tomato based or spicy gives me heartburn every time.  

This getting older shit is for the birds.  LOL 

• @VarunaTT Fuuuck I don't have HBO :(