Wedding Invitations & Paper

Is it acceptable to put information on both sides of a details card?

Hello everyone! I was wondering if it was acceptable to have a double-sided “details” card included with the wedding invitation. For example, on one side I want to list the addresses for the ceremony/reception, as well as the attire and registry information. On the back, I wanted to put our hotel block information. I am also including a separate response card. I was just wondering if I could save some money, (and some trees) by putting all of the details on the front and back of the card, instead of purchasing additional details cards. Is this considered tacky? TIA!

Best Answer

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for your response. I was talking about what details would go on an enclosure card, not the actual invitation. Perhaps I should have used the term “double-sided enclosure card” instead of “double-sided details card.” There are numerous examples of enclosure cards with information regarding appropriate attire for the venue (black tie, cocktail, semi-formal), as well as registry information (not all wedding guests are invited to the bridal shower and will want to purchase a gift). We also have guests who are older and may have trouble navigating a website. Which is why I would like all relevant information to be included on an enclosure card along with the invitation. My point is that not all of that information is going to fit on one side of the card. Can I put relevant information on both sides of the enclosure card, or should I design an additional enclosure card for the accommodations and keep both cards one-sided. I wanted to avoid this to save money, but if it’s what is most appropriate I will do it. 
    To the bolded:
    -Unless your wedding truly is black tie then that information is not to be put on an enclosure card.  And if your wedding truly was black tie that information would be printed on the engraved invitation at the bottom and you would not be sending double sided enclosure cards

-Registry information should absolutely NEVER be sent with wedding invitations.  To do so is implying that you're asking guests to attend and not show up empty handed when the true purpose is that you're inviting them to watch you exchange vows and then be received later in the form of your reception. 

Honestly - guests know how to find registry information.  Those that are older found it long before the internet and if they can't, they can call the younger guests who will say, "They're registered at X website."  

So if it's for attire and registry information, do not include it at all.

For anything else such as a hotel room block, a list of accommodations or other things related to the events of a wedding weekend, I would recommend keeping things single sided and reference your wedding website for additional details if you don't want them printed.   Most guests are unlikely to flip over a double sided card. 

Answers

• Hello everyone! I was wondering if it was acceptable to have a double-sided “details” card included with the wedding invitation. For example, on one side I want to list the addresses for the ceremony/reception, as well as the attire and registry information. On the back, I wanted to put our hotel block information. I am also including a separate response card. I was just wondering if I could save some money, (and some trees) by putting all of the details on the front and back of the card, instead of purchasing additional details cards. Is this considered tacky? TIA!

Well, you could start by leaving off the attire and registry information. Telling people what to wear is very rude; you let adults dress themselves. Registry information is only appropriate on shower invitations; it doesn't belong on your wedding invitation.

Your invitation should absolutely include the addresses of the ceremony and reception venues. Most couples include the wedding website address and let people go there for details on hotel blocks.
  • Thank you for your response. I was talking about what details would go on an enclosure card, not the actual invitation. Perhaps I should have used the term “double-sided enclosure card” instead of “double-sided details card.” There are numerous examples of enclosure cards with information regarding appropriate attire for the venue (black tie, cocktail, semi-formal), as well as registry information (not all wedding guests are invited to the bridal shower and will want to purchase a gift). We also have guests who are older and may have trouble navigating a website. Which is why I would like all relevant information to be included on an enclosure card along with the invitation. My point is that not all of that information is going to fit on one side of the card. Can I put relevant information on both sides of the enclosure card, or should I design an additional enclosure card for the accommodations and keep both cards one-sided. I wanted to avoid this to save money, but if it’s what is most appropriate I will do it. 
  • I agree with PPs. Keep it simple. The address for the ceremony should be included as part of the invitation. If the reception is at the same place, you have a line at the bottom of the invitation that says reception to follow. If it is at a different place, put it on an enclosure card. Do not put anything about attire (unless truly black tie) or registry. People know how to find out where you are registered, they've been doing it for years.
  • Nothing that is sent with the envelope with the wedding invitations or by you should include any information on your wedding registry - PERIOD! Full stop!  

Also, the only time you should mention attire is if your venue requires a dress code for entry (i.e. Collared shirt at a Country Club, Blazer/Jacket at a high end venue) or it is full Black Tie or White Tie.  Your guests can otherwise figure out how to dress themselves for the event.