Wedding Woes

First, don't discuss plans unless asked.

Dear Prudence,

I am a college student. Two of my closest friends, Alison and Lucy, had a falling out. Thankfully, I was able to maintain my close relationships with both of them through a difficult period of being caught in the middle. I see both separately, and they are now friends/friendly but are definitely less close than before. Alison is planning a trip and invited me and some of our other friends to go with her, but doesn’t want to invite Lucy due to their falling out. I really want to go on the trip but am terrified to tell Lucy as I don’t want it to appear as if I am picking sides.
How do I gently tell Lucy that I am going on the trip with Alison? In a perfect world, I’d go on a trip with them both as I love them equally!

— Spring Heartbreaker

Re: First, don't discuss plans unless asked.

• Don't mention it.  

That said, LW be careful with your approach to the friends if it looks like you're favoring someone over another.  Do not play into gossip. 
  • I don't think it's necessary for you to sit down and break it to Lucy that you're going on this trip. Mention it casually at most, and maybe don't mention it at all unless she asks. 
  • You don’t need to tell Lucy you’re going with Alison but also don’t lie if she asks. You’re allowed to travel with anyone you want, whenever you want; and if you can stay out of the drama of the falling out and not chose sides you should do that. 
  • I would think Lucy knew there was a falling out? So if she heard (like even if it accidentally slips) do you think she would question why?