Wedding Woes

“This is fine” Thursday

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited February 2022 in Wedding Woes
Actual footage of me right now re: the world, this country (ahem, Texas), and my own damn state. Not much else to say about that.

We had instrument try-on for DefConn last night. He’s going to try out the baritone. The band director is very cute. Lol

Ssdd otherwise. Prudie coming up, 

Re: “This is fine” Thursday

• Tonight DH and Chiquito need to finish his Pinewood Derby car.  It's currently in the garage taking DH's parking space (the first baby is parked in the garage) and then Saturday morning we're going to see it in action.  I think they're going for a Mandalorian theme. 

I'm both dismayed at what's happening in Texas and abroad and concerned from an economic standpoint about how the events abroad are going to hork the supply chain even more than it already is.
  • @mrsconn23 are you talking about that b.s thing about schools and the anti- LGBTQ+ ? {if not, please explain}
  • Ohh we did our derby at the beginning of the month.  It's one of my favorite Scouting events and I'm going to miss it.  I hope Chiquito does well!!  <3  

Also, agreed on supply chain fuckery as a layer of concern in all this.  DH has wanted to start a garden for awhile. so we're putting that into motion ASAP.  We're also talking about upping our meat and shelf-stable reserves just in case.  Plus I think I'm going to start buying canning supplies here and there.  Typing it out feels extreme, but thinking about those things is helping me focus my anxiety. 

DH and I had a conversation last night and this morning about how we need to put in the work on controlling the things we can, while staying informed, but not letting ourselves get wrapped up in shit we simply as two individuals cannot control.  The pandemic and other changes in how we relate to one another has helped both of us checking each other to keep perspective. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2022
    @mrsconn23 are you talking about that b.s thing about schools and the anti- LGBTQ+ ? {if not, please explain}
    Oh there's that too.  But the Texas Gov signed a directive that mandatory reporters (nurses, doctors, teachers, etc.) must now report gender affirming care for trans-kids as child abuse.  FL is trying to pass a bill that requires schools to out queer kids to their parents.  IN has an atrocious education bill winding its way through that requires teachers to submit their lesson plans for an entire school year to a public website for scrutiny and so parents can 'opt' their kids out of lessons they don't agree with and the teachers must provide an alt lesson plan.  

Ohhh and a ton of places are banning "controversial" books in droves.  It's a fucking shitshow. 
  • BK was very 3 last night.
    Some moments she was super funny, others I was so beyond frustrated.

My nails have been cracking {likely weather related/dry} so before I got a chance to fix a jagged nail, BK jumps AT me - of course she's half dressed so as I go to grab her so she doesn't hit me in the face I nicked her side with my jagged nail.
    It wasn't bad, but we did put some polysporin on it.

Obv we then had to facetime my mum to tell her. And tell her about baby shark underwear and unicorn potty.
    Both things my mum knows about lol
    BK was convinced she needed a bandaid - which we are out - so had to tell my mum she needed a bandaid.

Then bedtime and she was a mess. M doesn't think she napped well so maybe she was tired.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    @mrsconn23 are you talking about that b.s thing about schools and the anti- LGBTQ+ ? {if not, please explain}
    Oh there's that too.  But the Texas Gov signed a directive that mandatory reporters (nurses, doctors, teachers, etc.) must now report gender affirming care for trans-kids as child abuse.  FL is trying to pass a bill that requires schools to out queer kids to their parents.  IN has an atrocious education bill winding its way through that requires teachers to submit their lesson plans for an entire school year to a public website for scrutiny and so parents can 'opt' their kids out of lessons they don't agree with and the teachers must provide an alt lesson plan.  

Ohhh and a ton of places are banning "controversial" books in droves.  It's a fucking shitshow. 
    What in the fuck! I really didn't know how far it went!
  • Someone I know said “listening to REM misled me into thinking the end of the world would be a lot more fun” and ya know that’s a little close to it this morning. The photos out of Ukraine are heartbreaking. What’s happening in TX is infuriating. 
    Dude, right?  Also, I wish I would have paid better attention in social studies/history...or at least retained things better or something.  I keep saying stuff and then going, "I wish I understood geopolitics better because I think I'm, like, half right, but IDK."  Furthermore, I keep reading CNN, AP, BBC, and then going to twitter and then my head hurts.  

Thank god for alcohol and happy trees.  LOL 

I may watch a comfort show tonight like Friends or Schitt's Creek. 
  • The TX law is so infuriating and AGAIN why I hate that the lawmaking process is done by people who have no understanding of how the thing they're signing actually works.  And I question how any lawmaker thinks that such a "plan" is better.  Sure, let's discontinue puberty blockers for trans boys so they're contending with the hormone surges of growing breasts and all that female puberty brings just as an example.  I cannot imagine raising a trans child in Texas now.   

At a global level we rely SO MUCH on other countries for their raw materials.  It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better and it wasn't good before this week. 
  • One of my bff's is Russian, and she's said there's always been tensions between Russia and Ukraine but never figured it'd get here. She said she may go down the Ukraine embassy with some Russian friends to show support for them.

The things Putin has said are just .... jarring.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

Yeah.  The TX trans-kids thing happened yesterday, and it's not a law.  Just a directive.   There are a lot of agencies and other people coming out and saying they won't follow it.  But even one person doing it is too fucking much.  

Also, (soapbox) what's NOT helpful is telling people to move or 'get out now' from places that choose to take these draconian measures.  It's not easy to just up and move.  It's cost-prohibitive for 99% of people I know.  I can think of one person that had a personal tragedy and was able to pull up roots and go and I know they have $$$$ in the bank for something like that because of what they do for work. Furthermore, this isn't an individual failure.  It's a systemic issue and moving elsewhere may put people at risk in other ways.  God I hate it here and I really should not be on Twitter (lol).  /rant. 
    Agreed.  It's so easy to say "If you don't like it, leave," but there are many factors that keep people where they are.   
  • mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

Yeah.  The TX trans-kids thing happened yesterday, and it's not a law.  Just a directive.   There are a lot of agencies and other people coming out and saying they won't follow it.  But even one person doing it is too fucking much.  

Also, (soapbox) what's NOT helpful is telling people to move or 'get out now' from places that choose to take these draconian measures.  It's not easy to just up and move.  It's cost-prohibitive for 99% of people I know.  I can think of one person that had a personal tragedy and was able to pull up roots and go and I know they have $$$$ in the bank for something like that because of what they do for work. Furthermore, this isn't an individual failure.  It's a systemic issue and moving elsewhere may put people at risk in other ways.  God I hate it here and I really should not be on Twitter (lol).  /rant. 
    This completely infuriates me. Especially because it completely ignores the reality that these draconian laws really only apply to a portion of the population. People said the same thing about "heartbeat" bills a couple of years ago. Yeah, I probably could pick up and move to a different state, but I don't need to because the same privilege that means I can move means I could get on a flight or take drive if I needed to have an abortion.

Gender affirming care is a little more complicated than one visit, but the people who could pick up and move are still primarily the same ones that can access care out of state.
  • I’m heartbroken for Ukraine.  The news had some images of what it looked like in Kyiv, and I started to cry.  Way to wake up to that (actually I think it was breaking news right before I got to sleep last night). 90Day peeps, Natalie is from Kyiv for sure right? What about Yara? I know both of them are still in the states, but prayers go out to their families. 

Anyway, shitstorms aside, I had a great time linedancing last night. I tried to find something close to that near me, but nothing.  It was a one time meet up thing, but I’m willing to go w/out the group here and there (it’s far!)  I sucked at it - but line dancing definitely beat a walk or a workout.  I was sweating!

Tonight is another meetup, for some bingo fun at a local brewery but that may be canceled if we get a lot of snow.  🖕🏻 to you, snow.

• @charmedpam Line dancing sounds so fun!! I loved doing it in gym class.  
  • Extra fun when you can all laugh at yourself too.  Like when the entire line is facing East, but somehow you swiveled and ended up facing West…

What I like about it, is the instructor is not getting paid.  She’s donating her time, and collaborated with the community center.  It’s free, but if you want to donate to a local family in need of help (and then the church is matching the funds collected) you can throw some money into a jar.  I think almost everyone did.  I love that! 

• I'm taking some solace in the UN, the US, and many European countries speaking vehemently against Putin/Russia and ready to defend the Ukraine.  But war is always terrible and it's especially evil for them to be starting this as we are still trying to climb out of the damage from a global pandemic.  I'm just, yet again, immensely grateful Trump lost.  If he'd won, he'd probably be sending US troops to help his BFF Putin ruthlessly invade another country.

You all have some good ideas about stock piling food items to hedge against higher prices and availability.  I might do the same with gas.  We have a lot of gas cans left over from our recent Hurricane Ida experience, so might as well fill them up while gas is on the cheaper side.  Russia produces a lot of oil and I expect gas prices to potentially spike during this ordeal.  I'm also worried about financial markets.  I expect downturns but would expect, hopefully, that they are temporary.  Hmmm.  I've been thinking about diversifying into SPDR funds anyway.  Perhaps the coming days would be a good time to jump in, if share prices become undervalued.

But onto at least one fun, local news story.  One of the krewes for the parade I am going to tonight invited staff from the New Orleans Public Health Dept. to ride on the floats with them.  Those staff members will be tossing out at-home COVID tests to the parade goers!  They will also be giving them to people at the first-aid tents, located throughout the route.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker