Wedding Woes

Tuesday

Usually I hate Tuesdays, but today is a good day!  They have agreed to take Diva 2's cases away from me.  I'm ecstatic to not have to deal with his bullshit anymore.

Mostly SSDD today.  Just work and then home with no other plans.

Re: Tuesday

• Yay @VarunaTT less stress!

SSDD for me too. Actually, I could start planning some of the meetup weekend getaways now that I think of it. I planned my trips to Canada for the summer just yesterday, so now I can fill in my “localish” weekends. (Btw I got a trip to Canada for $157 (one way) on hopper yesterday. I’ve NEVER seen them that low! It may cost me more to take an uber to the airport than fly to another fricking country). Yesterday I tallied up all the vacation days I’ll earn, what I’m taking for sure and I still came up wtith 14 days left to play with. I did it on excel so I kept on double checking the formula… naw, this can’t be right.  14 in the positive? Usually I’m in the negative with PTO! Covid really helped me save up some vacation days. 

• That's great news Varuna! 

SSDD here mostly. Still dealing with Covid fatigue. I might nap under my desk. 
  • I’m in the office and cranky. No real reason besides I’m dehydrated, allergies, and just want to sleep. 

The weather is finally nice and we can take some walks after we get home in the evening. It was even warm enough to run with Baby M in the stroller. He yelled for more birds the entire ride. 
  • @VarunaTT, I hope that makes work a lot more bearable for you!

@CharmedPam, yay leftover vacation time!  I was swimming in vacation time in 2020, because of COVID.  At my work, you can only roll over 160 hours from year to year (Sept. to Sept.).  They will pay you out the rest.  But in 2020, the word in the office was they didn't want to pay people out, so they were forcing employees to take vacation days.

I had strategically planned ahead of time and ended up taking all the Mondays in September 2020 off, plus some other random days.

But then I was a bit vacation heavy last year and will also be this year.  Not complaining.

My H and I worked out clearing a section of our bedroom last night.  We made a lot of progress and threw away bags of old clothes.  Plus I "re-discovered" some favorites to put back into my clothing rotation.

The main goal was to make more room from the end of our bed to the wall, so we can get little stairs for the Izzy dog.  We did accomplish that!  So now we just need to buy the stairs.  She is getting so much older and it makes us sad.  She can still jump on the bed most of the time, but sometimes it is hard for her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yay Tuesday, but it's kind of my Monday. I ended up taking a sick day yesterday because I was just so tired and overwhelmed after traveling two weekends in a row. And this is how I know I'm old. 

Nothing much else going on. This past weekend was mother's day in the mountains with my mom and sister. I spent more one on one time with my sister than I have in years, and I think it was really good for us. We got to talk about all the things without the constant interruptions of little kids or husbands or anything. We've always been close, but also a little complicated. As we've gotten older, I can see that we're more alike than we are different. 
  • I'm back at work today.  Yesterday I managed to wash the tablecloths and napkins from Saturday and get them ironed.  They're linen and you need to iron it wet so washing ALSO means take an hour to iron them.  

We're now in the middle of a hugely busy month and this weekend I'm supposed to camp.  Chiquita is SO excited to do it and all I want is a weekend to go nowhere and plant but I love her so whoopee!  They're only young once.  I can manage a couple nights of crap sleep....I think. 

If any of you have favorite foods to take camping let me know.  Otherwise it's bananas, peanut butter and bread FTW. 
  • SITB Still working on cleaning and getting stuff back into our bedroom. We can actually sleep in our own bed tonight! We still have to shower, brush teeth  etc. in upstairs bathroom but yay for our own bed. I have been working on cleaning all morning. There is so much dust. I can't really clean the floors until they take up the protective paper leading from the front door to the bathroom, but I swept the paper  (have been doing that every couple of days anyway). I also swept and vacuumed under the bed. It still could use some work but will do that at the very end. I'll probably have to crawl under it and wipe it all down with a damp cloth. Now to move onto the remaining rooms on the first floor. 

Saw an old friend this morning. He came by to pick up race tickets since we won't be in town. I can't believe how long it has been since we have seen him. He and his ex-wife are Godsparents to all our kids. We've known them since we were first married. His ex and us go to church together but he and his now wife live about 35 minutes away from us so we just don't see them. That divorce was tough on everyone (them, their kids, our kids and our friendship). Both are remarried and we are friends with the current spouses but closer to the wife since we see her more regularly. Anyway it was good to see him and catch up.

Going back to dance class tonight for the first time in several weeks.
  • banana468 said:
    I'm back at work today.  Yesterday I managed to wash the tablecloths and napkins from Saturday and get them ironed.  They're linen and you need to iron it wet so washing ALSO means take an hour to iron them.  

We're now in the middle of a hugely busy month and this weekend I'm supposed to camp.  Chiquita is SO excited to do it and all I want is a weekend to go nowhere and plant but I love her so whoopee!  They're only young once.  I can manage a couple nights of crap sleep....I think. 

If any of you have favorite foods to take camping let me know.  Otherwise it's bananas, peanut butter and bread FTW.

Stuck in a box:
    Will you have a camp stove or a fire for cooking this weekend?
  • This girl we were suppose to see for a bday party in April but it got canceled due to everyone under the weather {we canceled but they canceled too because they weren't feeling great} well her mum msg'd me asking if we wanted to join for a park date after preschool.
    I explained it's not me who does pick up, but I was going to msg her about a playdate.
    So we have something tentatively booked for the Monday of the long weekend.
    We're hoping splash pad because it's fairly hot this week and likely continuing.

Anyways I am not entirely thrilled because I don't like to socialize lmao I feel so awkward.

I found M a great father's day gift. Dave Grohl did a book, and apparently it's part of a series he's doing. So I'm kinda stoked? M isn't easy to buy for. Everything he likes/wants isn't cheap.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I keep seeing ads for hopper @CharmedPam but have been ignoring them...glad to hear of an IRL person having success
    @VarunaTT yay for the small victory!
    @climbingsingle ugh the long-term fatigue is awful, sending vibes
    @charlotte989875 feel better soon...all of my allergy sufferers have said the last few days have been other-worldly

Got my vegetable garden planted after work today.  Was planning on doing it on Saturday but it had been so rainy.  Still have some flower planting to do but I feel like it's all in a good place.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited May 2022
    banana468 said:
    Do you have one of these? Most seasoned campers do.  This with cherry pie filling and bread over the fire! Yum!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FNLXWG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6JETBWXWXADTKWMG7HHR

edit; oh yeah, mine’s not a meal or anything… dessert!!!

@short+sassy I’ve been meaning to clean out my closet the last few weekends.  Not to help an old dog get into my bed lol but because I keep on buying clothes and right now I can’t move them in my closet so I have no idea what I really have!

@MyNameIsNot, that’s great sister time. Glad you fit it in

• This girl we were suppose to see for a bday party in April but it got canceled due to everyone under the weather {we canceled but they canceled too because they weren't feeling great} well her mum msg'd me asking if we wanted to join for a park date after preschool.
    I explained it's not me who does pick up, but I was going to msg her about a playdate.
    We're hoping splash pad because it's fairly hot this week and likely continuing.

Anyways I am not entirely thrilled because I don't like to socialize lmao I feel so awkward.

I found M a great father's day gift. Dave Grohl did a book, and apparently it's part of a series he's doing. So I'm kinda stoked? M isn't easy to buy for. Everything he likes/wants isn't cheap.
    I'm reading it now! Nothing ground breaking or anything, but he's likeable and kind of funny. 

@banana, not a meal, but my favorite is still campfire apples that we learned in girlscouts. You core an apple, fill it with good stuff (I like walnuts, cinnamon, and maple syrup), then wrap it in foil and put on the edge of the fire for a while. It's like a campfire apple pie. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited May 2022
    This girl we were suppose to see for a bday party in April but it got canceled due to everyone under the weather {we canceled but they canceled too because they weren't feeling great} well her mum msg'd me asking if we wanted to join for a park date after preschool.

I hope it works out.  Maybe you’ll have a new friend in your circle with a daughter BK’s age!

@ei34, I’ve been using Hopper for awhile now.  Especially for my Canadian trips.  I booked another for $211 for another time this year, and then went to the airline’s site - it was $353 or something for the same flight!! So I think they do heavy discounts. I don’t know how. I’m not questioning it.  I get the basic, no seat selection option - but I don’t care about 2 hr flights if the person next to me doesnt care about me sleeping on their shoulder. I also add trip insurance for only $12.50.  Another discount they offer. Oh and every flight you book you get “carrot cash” which can be applied for future flights.  Saving another $5 here and there for a flight I was going to book anyway is a good perk!

• For camping, it depends on what I'll have available to cook on and cooler space. Sandwiches are my go to since they're so easy. I also like to make these good protein balls that are perfect snacks. 
  • @ei34, I also like Hopper and have gotten some good deals with it.  Including r/t airfare from NOLA to LAX for $127.  Just an unreal price.  Usually $200 is about as rock bottom as it gets.  Though that was a few years ago.

They also have a nice feature where it will predict if the airfare price will go up or down, for the future.  They will actually tell you to "wait" on buying your ticket until the week of X because, historically, that's when airlines have had the lowest fare for your route.  Or they'll tell you to book it, because this is the lowest the price has been in XZY timeframe and they don't expect it to go lower.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MyNameIsNot is it worth the read? I think M will like it and he's got a bday in July and xmas - so I could potentially buy others in the series

@CharmedPam that's the hope. Unfortunately this new friend and another boy from preschool that my mum knows better, they won't be going to kindergarten with her. I think one other boy will be? But we don't know him.
    BK is very likeable so I know it'll go well.
  • @banana468 I love taking fajitas for camping.  I have the meat and veggies in the marinade and, depending on how I'm camping, wrap it in foil and throw in the fire, put in the cast iron over the fire, or cook on stove.  Eggs are also super easy b/c they don't have to be refrigerated, they carry themselves, and you can just bury the shells. 

I mostly backpack camp, so my big thing is having stuff all ready to go in one bag for ease and weight and boil it.
  • VarunaTT said:
    @banana468 I love taking fajitas for camping.  I have the meat and veggies in the marinade and, depending on how I'm camping, wrap it in foil and throw in the fire, put in the cast iron over the fire, or cook on stove.  Eggs are also super easy b/c they don't have to be refrigerated, they carry themselves, and you can just bury the shells. 

I mostly backpack camp, so my big thing is having stuff all ready to go in one bag for ease and weight and boil it.
    Only the unpasteurized ones, right?

• Jstump2Jstump2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    @banana468. My favorite campfire recipe is to slice open a banana long ways with two cross marks, then stuff it with chocolate chips, mini marshmallows and nuts. I wrap them in tin foil and throw on a campfire grate. The banana gets all calmerized and the toppings get ooey gooey. Eat with a spoon!
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2022
    VarunaTT said:
    @banana468 I love taking fajitas for camping.  I have the meat and veggies in the marinade and, depending on how I'm camping, wrap it in foil and throw in the fire, put in the cast iron over the fire, or cook on stove.  Eggs are also super easy b/c they don't have to be refrigerated, they carry themselves, and you can just bury the shells. 

Only the unpasteurized ones, right?
    There's some debate.  It's basically b/c of how the US deals with reducing salmonella in washing the eggs.  Refrigerator really just makes them last longer.  The issue is the egg shell picking up germs.  I have a little carry case I put them in so that they don't come into contact with anything else and if you're camping, they're going to be used quickly, so I've never had any issues with it.  This is what my carrying case looks like, though it's only for 6.

Coghlans 12-Egg Holder                                                                                                          - view number 1

ETA:  You can also precrack them, which is convenient, but I don't carry glass jars with me when backpacking, so I've never done it that way.  If you're car camping or have a cooler, it's no issue at all.
  • ei34ei34 member
    @CharmedPam @short+sassy okay wow I definitely have to check out hopper! Thank you!