Wedding Woes

Waffle Wednesday

..they're what's for breakfast.
I got pulled last minute to proctor an AP for a student who receives special accommodations, but the best kind if you're on the proctor end- separate location, no other students in the room, but they don't need tests read or extra re-focusing.  So kind of a plum assignment, and a welcomed surprise.  Hope everyone's hump day goes okay!

Re: Waffle Wednesday

• I would have much rather had waffles for breakfast instead of the crappy oatmeal I had. Bonus - I spilled some on my shirt and I have to interview 2 people today. I mostly got it out but I don't have much at work aside from water and crappy napkins. 

SSDD basically. Another person (our HR director) quit this week. It's miserable here and I'm trying to leave but I really can't find anything I want. Or am willing to leave for. And I don't want to take a big pay cut. 

The kitten is adorable and my boyfriend is trying to convince me to keep her. We have to make a decision by Friday because if the kids meet her, they will not want to give her up. Even though they have 2 cats and a dog at their mom's house!

I've been noticing that my PMS is out of control. I'm so irritable that it's truly hard not to overreact and just...scream. And sometimes it's directed at totally innocuous things. Like annoying songs on the radio. It's wild and I'm assuming it's part of some pre-menopause body changes. I also feel extremely bloated, and find myself hating my body and how I look. I guess I should talk to my doctor but like, who the fuck has time!? UGH. 
  • DH has a sinus infection, womp, womp. He did a virtual visit yesterday.  He's taking a sick day today.  

Last night instead of doing taco shells and what not for Taco Tuesday, I made baked potatoes.  We still did all the fixings, but it was a very welcome 'twist'.  

Lessons from project management, I'd rather deal with a pissed off client than my least favorite co-irker who doesn't know how annoying they are.  People management, not my thing.  Ha. 

SSDD otherwise.  It's dreary and going to rain, plus a little cool. I'd love a nap today.  
  • @climbingsingle just commiserating about the PMS/bloating/body changes.  It's so hard to feel that way and i despise feeling gross about myself but have been having similar symptoms as my body readjusts to not being pregnant or nursing.  Hope you get some relief one way or another. 

Guys, i have NO motivation at work and it's horrible.  Im kind of in "work hard enough to not get fired or invite questions" mode and i can't snap myself out of it.  It's ridiculous especially with a promotion opportunity coming up that I'd really like to be considered for. If I don't get it, Im at a point with my job where I might look for an internal move just for something different since i'm not in a position to change companies.  

Rainy dreary day here and i'm kind of loving it.  Trying to plow through some things this morning so i can take a longer lunch and run to TJ Maxx or Loft to look for a few work appropriate tops.  I've gotten rid of so many clothes during COVID WFH that I don't really have anything summery to wear to work anymore!
  • @climbingsingle I definitely notice the older I am the more bloated / constipated I am when I ovulate.  It's annoying but I'm considering this one of those parts of aging and embrace loose pants. 

On a different note the shift in temps is making me embrace my cold brew again.  DH bought French Roast beans from Costco and I'm finding I like these WAY more as cold brew than in a regular brewed pot.  

• Also, i'm starting a new BC next cycle so i'm hoping that helps a little, but does anyone have suggestions for a skin care routine?  None of the stuff that i usually love is helping atm.  I look like a hormonal 15 year old.  Dry, flaky, greasy, acne.  It's so gross.  Would love any suggestions you have. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2022
    OMG @climbingsingle, my late 30's/early 40's PMS is also out of control.  I completely commiserate with the 'rage at small shit' factor.  

@banana468, my ovulation is painful AF and I also get weepy when I'm ovulating.  

@Casadena, I don't have any skincare answers, but I feel you. My skin has been on one lately.  I thought I was past it after constant mask wearing, but my chin has been out of control the last couple months.  

I'm due for an IUD replacement in the next couple months and I'm hoping a fresh one may help some of this, but I'm not hanging my hat on it.  An IUD is the only birth control that's helped keep my periods from being awful, so I'm going to stick with it for now (and DH hasn't gotten the snip yet either). 

This aging stuff is for the birds in some aspects. 
  • @banana468, congrats on solving the boat problem, even if it wasn't the ideal scenario.

@climbingsingle, My H won't allow us to have more than one dog and cat.  I've told him he better hope a wayward kitten doesn't fall into our laps, because I don't think I'd have the strength to take it to a shelter.  And for all his big talk, I know he'd be exactly the same.  I'm sorry you're allergic!  Because it sounds like you all would want to keep it, otherwise.

@Casadena, I've been so stressed out in my personal life, that I know my job has taken a hit.  No one has complained...yet.  And I really haven't fallen down on things I have to get done.  But I know in my heart I've just been doing the bare minimum.  So I'm also trying to amp up more motivation and do better. 

Though, as I type that, I'm also wishing it was Prudie day today instead of tomorrow, so I can have a distraction from work, lol.

Since we're talking about breakfast, I'm about to heat up a ham and cheese croissant.  For me, that is a food item that is so simple and quick, yet I find so satisfying and comforting. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2022
    I hear ya’ll on the ovulation change.  My body changed last fall and my periods were heavy and hurty and sometimes 2x a month!  I never experienced that before and was always on BC.  My doc said I could skip 2 packs of the sugar pill week and get my cycle every 3 months. Not sure how it’s going to work because sometimes (usually) my body will get my period a few days ahead of the sugar pack week even starts. like it’s saying to me “oh, looks like you’re due for it Sunday.  Will the Friday before it work?”
    No.  No, it won’t bod. 

Is softening up some fine lines of mine. If dry, acne prone skin is your problem look around sokoglam
    and check the right categories.  I love korean skincare
    products for the most part. 

• For the PMS people, I was dx'd with PMDD in my late 20s.  I've suffered through various treatments (mostly with SSIs for treatment), got pissed, and did some research and found a herbal supplement that was old-timey.  I take chasteberry/Vitex for help now and it's a game changer.  I used to follow the research on it for years and it's gone through a double blind at some point at least and shows to work in reducing PMS/PMDD sx.  Scientists know that it reduces progesterone production, they just don't know how it does it, so they haven't been able to make a medication out of it yet.  I just recommended it to a friend who thinks she is developing PMDD levels of PMS.  She messaged me to say add her to anecdotal evidence, b/c it worked so well she had no warning her period was coming on at all.  It has reduced my mood swings, my temper, my breast pain, cramps, the length, and the heaviness of my periods through the years.  I am up to 1200 mgs a day, but that is a rather outrageous amount for most people.  I think she's just taking the 400mg and was satisfied.  I get mine off of Amazon and use the Nature's Way brand.

Waffles sound yummy.

Y'all, IDK if I'm crazy, asking for trouble, or being healthy.  So, there's another Grand Prix on Sunday.  I had told L if he wanted to come over and watch it that'd be fine.  Then we got to laughing, b/c it's on at 8 or 9 am and I said I was still going to be in PJs, so he'd have to deal.  Then I was all BRUNCH.  Now I'm making migas and a Spanish tortilla with mimosas and I'm really excited.  I was all worried b/c what am I doing this for an unavailable person.  One of my friends said, "You're doing this for you, b/c you love cooking and stuff like this.  Enjoy it".  She was so right.  I haven't been excited about cooking for....well, we're looking at years now and it feels so nice to feel this way again.  So, I've decided it's healthy: I'm going to enjoy a brunch party, and L just gets to come along for the yummy ride.  

Otherwise, SSDD.  I'm backing off on the idea of dating again anyway, just b/c I don't want to, basically, so that's okay too.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2022
    That does sound delicious and glad you're rediscovering the joy of cooking again @VarunaTT.  If I didn't have verocious-appetite-enthusiastic-eater kids I'd probably take kitchen time off too...STBXH constantly complained (still does) about dinner/the food in our home these last 5ish years. All after adoring everything I made for the first 7-8 years, so it was a real change.  I know you've mentioned exH took some of your kitchen joy away and I'm glad that it's returning bit by bit.  That spread sounds phenomenal!

With everyone aboard the "wow, my periods sucks more with each year" train.  AF actually came to town last night- for me it's a distractingly splitting headache, increased irritability over silly things, and way more tears.  I've never been on birth control before but might bring it up with my gyno at my annual in a few months, not for preventing pregnancy purposes (as if...) but to see if I could have some headache relief.  

@Casadena I'm low on summer-y work clothes too.  This is very unoriginal/cliche, but in my morning shower I do a gentle warm water/dove soap cleanse, followed by toner, and  moisturizer with spf.  Evening shower is cleanse, tone and moisturize again, plus night serum a couple nights a week...I exfoliate twice a week and use a mask 1-2x a month.  I put real sunscreen on as weather warms up and I find myself outside 6, 8, sometimes 10 hours a day, lol.  Happy to recommend products although I have a combination/mostly oily skin and I know everyone is different...it's a pretty high/low mix as far as price, brands.

edit- cut off my last few sentences the first time
  • Yesterday was exhausting. H and I did yard work - moving plants around, planting some annuals and adding some topsoil to some beds. H spent a few hours digging our a perennial that had traveled from our neighbors. It was taking over our part of the flower bed and I hate it. Hopefully now we can keep on top of it. Our irrigation system should be turned on Saturday. FX that nothing is broken. I think I told y'all that our person who did this for years, closed his company and didn't tell us. Usually everything is opened in April but this Saturday is the first we could get a new company to come out. Monday we have mulch coming. Yesterday the plumbers were here and got our two new toilets installed. They are coming back Monday to finish the rest of the plumbing in our main bathroom. We leave Tuesday for our trip. Everything should be done when return. 

H finished planting some  annuals this morning. I worked out and need to run to the store to get some things  for the trip. Now I need to start pulling clothes together for packing. I'm dreading that part. Dance lessons this afternoon then a Y board meeting. Oh yeah and the dumpster in our driveway is to be taken away today!
  • @VarunaTT, thanks for the recommendation.  I just went to order it from Amazon, but apparently it's less than half the price at a Whole Foods in the suburbs from me.  So, instead, I'm going to pick it up on Friday along with a few other things that only Whole Foods carry.

I never thought I'd use the words "half the price" and "Whole Foods" in the same sentence, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is so exciting @short+sassy!

A person on my local board just posted about how her husband was getting swindled trying to get out of Mexico and was nearly stuck in his resort.  If you can pack tests I would!
  • banana468 said:
    That is so exciting @short+sassy!

A person on my local board just posted about how her husband was getting swindled trying to get out of Mexico and was nearly stuck in his resort.  If you can pack tests I would!
    Thanks!  I'm very excited.  This is the trip I was supposed to take 2 years ago, lol.  So it's been a long time coming.

I am going to pack some tests also.

In fact, I think they just opened it yesterday where you can order more tests from USPS.  I did that this morning.

I still have some tests at home anyway from the last time.  But I also bought a 5-pack at Costco because they were on sale for $25.  I figure if, me or my H are exposed at any time, we would each need to take one and possibly multiple times.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:

Thanks!  I'm very excited.  This is the trip I was supposed to take 2 years ago, lol.  So it's been a long time coming.

In fact, I think they just opened it yesterday where you can order more tests from USPS.  I did that this morning.

I still have some tests at home anyway from the last time.  But I also bought a 5-pack at Costco because they were on sale for $25.  I figure if, me or my H are exposed at any time, we would each need to take one and possibly multiple times.
    I'm not sure any rapid test will get you back into the US.  You may want to visit your airline's website and check requirements.  It has to have some sort of lab/pharm back-up included with the test.  I think Binax has a rapid test that's guided by an appt/virtual visit.  

Personally, I think we should drop the test to return requirement.  But...what do I know?  LOL  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:

I'm not sure any rapid test will get you back into the US.  You may want to visit your airline's website and check requirements.  It has to have some sort of lab/pharm back-up included with the test.  I think Binax has a rapid test that's guided by an appt/virtual visit.  

Personally, I think we should drop the test to return requirement.  But...what do I know?  LOL  
    I think you will need to get a proctored test and I think they can be available through labs like Quest if I'm not mistaken.  

The issue encountered was that the hotel seemed to be "in" with a fake doctor who told a guy that he was covid positive in a way to tell him to stay for more days and not let him out of the country.  It was frightening. 
  • Eeeeek how exciting @short+sassy,
    it is happening!!!

• banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:

I think you will need to get a proctored test and I think they can be available through labs like Quest if I'm not mistaken.  

The issue encountered was that the hotel seemed to be "in" with a fake doctor who told a guy that he was covid positive in a way to tell him to stay for more days and not let him out of the country.  It was frightening. 
    For sure!  I realize the official COVID test will need to be from a lab/pharm.  Not an at-home test.  But forewarned, is  forearmed.  Especially with @banana468's warning.

I just checked and the faster/cheaper antigen test will be okay to return to the US.  I also found there is a test center actually at the Barcelona airport.  30 Euros for the antigen one and it's ready within 20 minutes.

Major phew!  The test for the US needs to be done within only one day of departure and I fly out the same day the ship returns.

Norwegian booked my flight.  I just noticed there is a 4-hour layover at the Miami airport before my NOLA flight.  Really, Norwegian?  There are no other flights from 6PM-10PM on a Sunday going from MIA to NOLA?  Or through another airport?  You're doing me dirty, guys.

I could drive one-third of the way to NOLA in 4 hours, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We were told that the tests in Europe are 30 euros. We leave next Wednesday. Four days in Switzerland and four in Italy. We are going through a travel agency that is arranging for the return home tests. They haven't said anything about masking in Italy or that they have to be N95s. We are planning on taking some any way. We also have several at home tests to take.We received our second set of government tests yesterday. Apparently H had  heard they were available. I hadn't heard a thing.
  • We were told that the tests in Europe are 30 euros. We leave next Wednesday. Four days in Switzerland and four in Italy. We are going through a travel agency that is arranging for the return home tests. They haven't said anything about masking in Italy or that they have to be N95s. We are planning on taking some any way. We also have several at home tests to take.We received our second set of government tests yesterday. Apparently H had  heard they were available. I hadn't heard a thing.
    Your trip sounds amazing also!  I remember you all have been waiting about as long as I have, lol.

I got the bolded info from Norwegian.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy so super jealous of your trip!! 

Florence is hands down one of my favorite cities.

Cannes is nice too but instead of spending all day there, I went to Saint-Paul-de-Vence. I fell in love with that little town and had one of the best meals I've ever had. Also super cute stores- I did a lot of shopping there.  
  • You all make me want to Vacation again.  A real one:

Your trip sounds amazing also!  I remember you all have been waiting about as long as I have, lol.

Yes this trip was originally scheduled for July of 2020! We've never cruised except a river cruise (it was amazing) 5 years ago.  You will have such a good time. Florence is my favorite Italian cit so far.

Yes this trip was originally scheduled for July of 2020! We've never cruised except a river cruise (it was amazing) 5 years ago.  You will have such a good time. Florence is my favorite Italian cit so far.
    That's the city I'm the most excited about.  It's been on my bucket list since I was a teenager.

I've taken two other cruises in my lifetime.  They aren't for everyone, but I like them.

For the first one, I was still living in CA, so it was on the Pacific Ocean.  It stopped at Catalina Island and Ensenada, MX.  It left out of the LA area, so my b/f and I treated ourselves to night out in LA, the day before.  I think the cruise boarding started at 10am.  It's sketchy enough to gamble with LA traffic within LA.  I definitely didn't want to be doing it coming from southern OC, which is about 60 miles away.

The second one was after I was living in NOLA and the cruise ship actually departed from here.  That was handy!  Not many people can say they took a cab from their house to get to their cruise ship, lol.  That cruise stopped at three places in Mexico, including Cozumel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy, The long layover in Miami might be because of customs. If you're connecting, you have to claim your bags before you go through customs, do all the things, and then you can recheck and go get your connection. It's been years, but the last time I came back from somewhere through Miami it took forever. But also, there's real cuban coffee in the MIA airiport, so it's kind of ok. 
  • @short+sassy, The long layover in Miami might be because of customs. If you're connecting, you have to claim your bags before you go through customs, do all the things, and then you can recheck and go get your connection. It's been years, but the last time I came back from somewhere through Miami it took forever. But also, there's real cuban coffee in the MIA airiport, so it's kind of ok. 
    My husband mentioned the same thing, the night I noticed/complained about this.

I had not thought of that, so I'll cut Norwegian some slack, lol.  Perhaps they were trying to help me out.

I'm such an international travel noob, customs never occurred to me.

I've only been through "customs"...and I'm not even sure if that's the right name...at the Canada and Mexican borders.  But all of those times I was either in a vehicle or walking across.

The lines can take forever.  But actually talking to an agent was 30 seconds:

Nationality?

American.

Anything to declare?

No.

(Hand motion waving me through)

However, all of that was a long time ago before people needed to show passports for those borders.

Now I'm really showing my age.  There was a Beverly Hills 90210 episode where Brenda and Dylon snuck off to Mexico.  But, coming back over to the US, they were requiring identifications and Brenda didn't have hers, so the parents had to be called and they were busted big time.

Puh-leez.  A middle class looking white girl with a perfect American accent?  Total bulls**t.  Even when I was an under age minor with friends, I was never asked for ID and rarely saw that being asked of anyone else.     
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy customs itself is still usually a walk through. Immigration, where you have to show your passport, tends to be where the lines are, and you’ll need to pick up your checked bags to go through customs which also adds time to the connection.