Wedding Woes

TED Ed Tuesday

DD is in her school's Ted Ed club, and the learners' talks are after school today.  She chose weather as her topic (she currently wants to be a meteorologist), and decided to bring her rain coat and boots into school today to wear during her talk.  I'm excited to hear her do her thing.
Hoping everyone's Tuesday goes okay!

Re: TED Ed Tuesday

• Whew.  I started listening to a new podcast, Quitted.  One of the hosts is one of my favorite "quit-lit" writers [short hand for media surrounding quitting drinking alcohol].  They interview people who've made the big decisions of "quitting" and the story surrounding that.  I'm only half way through the first one and I can't listen to this on the way to/at work.  I was in tears, just b/c I so recognized my own story from the first person and felt so much more not alone.  Highly recommend.

Otherwise, SSDD.  The dog did pee in my apartment yesterday, but I cleaned it up.  This confirms one of my fears about having a dog, b/c I just don't have enough time to get home, do a dog walk, and get back to work over the lunch hour.  8 hours is a long time to ask a dog to hold it...I go to the restroom more often than that.  Also, as lovely as doggie snuggles are, he is definitely a velcro dog and I find that annoying after awhile.  I need my personal space!!!

• @ei34 that sounds fun and adorable! 

@VarunaTT I missed it. Are you fostering a dog?? How old? Can you look into a dog walker to come in the middle of the day? 

My allergies are so bad right now, I want to pull my eyeballs out and dunk them into ice water. My allergy pills are doing nothing. So I have an appt tomorrow with a place that specializes in acupuncture for allergies. I've heard good things so I'm hopeful. 

N wants to go to a Yankee game for his birthday next month. Even with cheap seats for the 5 of us, it's over $250. It will be worth it, but damn. I'll be packing food and drinks in the car to have before we go in...haha. I remember the good old days when my parents would take us to games and my mom would have deli sandwiches and sodas in her bag.  

Other than that, SSDD. I thankfully slept well last night so I'm not tired. Just hoping the day goes fast. 
  • @ei34 thats so cute!
    @VarunaTT how much longer are you pet sitting?

SSDD. I am trying to switch nurseries for DS. We love his current nursery but there is one that my friends kids go to that is so much cheaper. But I say Trying to switch because I am such a people pleaser and his current nursery is offering us discounts and trying to get us to commit to staying for next year. But even with the discount it is still more expensive than the other place. 

• @climbingsingle I'm dogsitting for my neighbor.  Dog was fine on Friday, no accidents, but apparently not Monday.  I'm not quite sure what changed, but he did seem to have so GI distress yesterday as well, so maybe he's just upset right now.  It has been 3 full days since he was dropped off, so I was kind of expecting a bit of distress anyway.  I have him until the 27th or 28th; the neighbor is camping so isn't 100% sure when they'll get back.  I'll keep an eye on it.  As for myself, I have to be realistic about a budget.  Pets are an expense and if I had to add a doggie daycare/walker into that, it's not really realistic for me.  I could make it work, but I don't feel like I really want to.
  • Heyyy.  I lurked yesterday, but I was dealing with a bunch of dumb work stuff and wasn't feeling the best either.  Allergies are kicking my butt.  I'm feeling better today, definitely not as tired and blah. 

Weekend was good.  Our friend's renewal/party was super fun.  Sunday I was wrecked from a late night and not feeling well.  I had so many plans for getting stuff done, especially since DH and DefConn weren't going to be around, and I barely got grocery shopping in.  

We are in the last week of school.  I can't believe DefConn is almost done with elementary.  
  • @VarunaTT ah, OK. I didn't realize you were dog sitting. 
  • Sooo cute @ei34, I’m sure she did well!
    @VarunaTT, I think dogsitting puts you in a good position. You get the dog for the short amount of time, but just enough time to remember why you don’t have one!
    @climbingsingle, what a fun outting. I had to google the term I’m so out of it, but yay tailgating lol!

I deemed the start of iced coffee season for me
    already.  I’m getting sick of hot coffee, even though it’ll be cold the next few days anyway.  However, I realized my sugar substitute doesn’t dissolve in cold
    coffee, and quickly remembered why I used liquid syrups last year.  On to starbucks it is.

Today’s work gripe.  Someone (annoying coworker) walking by, seeing me on my computer all
    quiet like and pretending to work and asking “are you busy?”.  I hate that question with a passion.  She’s in a different department than I am, and isn’t asking to see if I can help her or anything. I can’t do her work. She’s just gaging how busy or not busy I am out of curiosity. I wouldn’t be surprised for her to use against me.  How about you STFU and worry about how busy YOU are annoying coworker? Because all she does is complain about that.  Fwiw, I’m not busy right now.  And there’s nothing I can do about that because I’d actually like to be!  My work is brought to me, I can’t find things to do.

• @CharmedPam if you make coffee at home I find that Agave is a great and easy sugar syrup.  I also make my own simple syrup but usually reserve that for cocktails. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2022
    That’s great news @Casadena, that H can go back to work and not worry about employment when the time comes!
     Yup I do make it at home @banana468.  I think I have some agave but as a diabetic I have to be careful with it.  It’s better than table sugar, but still a sugar. I have to add my monkfruit substitute when it’s still hot is all (I just cool down coffee, I’m not fancy with the cold brew stuff)

speaking of work and not being busy.  Is anyone worried about the recession that we’re more than likely about to go into?  I am. 

• @CharmedPam if it helps the cold brew process is super easy and mostly hands off.  My cold brew is in the fridge now and the only disadvantage is that it requires prior planning.  Now that I've been making it about a week I have a stockpile of cold brew cubes in the freezer and coffee in the fridge and I'll make a new pot tomorrow morning or tonight since I'm down to the last cup.  

Regarding the recession, I think it's really going to depend on your field and how that's going to hit.    Knock on wood I'm more concerned at the moment that we are relatively busy but because raw material costs continue to go up we are now 5 months into the new year with no raises.   
  • That's awesome @Casadena.  I'm glad your H has such a supportive employer.  
  • @CharmedPam - it's iced coffee season for me too.  I brew my regular K-cup and add sweetner/creamer.  Then I pour over a large travel cup filled with ice.  The ice does water down the coffee some so you might want to make a stronger brew (my Keurig has an iced coffee setting to do that).

Add me to the allergy sufferers. 

The elementary school I attended is being torn down later this year as they have built a new school.  They are holding an open house tonight for the public and former students.  My mom and I are going to take a look.  I don't think I've been in that building since the late 70s!  Should be fun.

We are going to visit friends over the holiday weekend so I need to figure out the weather and what to pack.  

DH started his meds for depression about a week ago and they seem to be working.  He's not nearly as easily frustrated or crabby.  Hope it continues as it makes home life much easier!

• ei34ei34 member
    edited May 2022
    Healing vibes to all the allergy sufferers!  I'm hearing this season has been other-wordly.

@climbingsingle have you checked out the gametime app?  Although this far out you'd see prices similar to stubhub, not much savings.  I've scored some crazy deals day-of, like 80% off.  Though I get the appeal of having tickets in advance since it's a gift.  (And my experience is with the Mets, not the Yankees...)

@CharmedPam not a coffee drinker myself but I know a lot of people who drink iced coffee year-round, so I don't think it's ever too early :) 

edit spelling
  • @ei34, One of our local meteorologists has weather related coloring pages that kids can download.  I think she occasionally posts pages that kids send back to her.

An interesting historical niche to me is how weather has affected world events.  For example, when the British besieged Washington DC during the War of 1812, one of the main factors that drove them out is there was a freak hurricane that hit the city.  

@CharmedPam, I'm worried also.  Probably not for my own job.  But recessions usually mean layoffs and that leads to hardship on an individual level for so many people.  However, since there isn't much I can do about it anyway, am taking more of a "wait and see" approach.  The 2-year pandemic was such a sudden and unexpected upheaval in so many ways for national and world economics.  I think we will still be feeling the effects for years to come.

I finally found a qualified tenant who was also ready to pay a deposit to secure the current vacancy we have.  Her background check has already come back fine and we will be signing the lease and her Section 8 voucher, when I get off work today.

Our next unit at that same location is going to be ready at the end of the week.  I have another applicant who has been proactive in checking up on her application.  We offered that unit to her yesterday.  She is meeting my H today to look at that unit and supposedly is bringing the deposit, assuming she likes it.  It's almost identical to the one she already saw.  She is on Section 8 also. 

I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I would be ecstatic to get both of these units off our vacancy list.  Especially to S8 tenants.  As I've mentioned, a bummer about S8 is it's a longer process for people to be able to move in, which means it's a longer process before I get paid rent.  But once the rent money starts rolling in, it's like clockwork and I don't have to worry about it.  Except for the tenant portion, but that's usually a small amount and is sometimes nothing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m with you all on the allergies, they’re obnoxious today. 

Baby M has started refusing baths. Screaming, crying, wailing at bath time. Anyone else have kids that did this? Any suggestions? Bring toys, singing, nothing seems to help. 

Baby M has started refusing baths. Screaming, crying, wailing at bath time. Anyone else have kids that did this? Any suggestions? Bring toys, singing, nothing seems to help. 
    What about trying to shower with him? You or H?  DH and I switched DefConn to mostly showering with one of us (usually DH) about 2.5-3. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I’m with you all on the allergies, they’re obnoxious today. 

What about trying to shower with him? You or H?  DH and I switched DefConn to mostly showering with one of us (usually DH) about 2.5-3. 
    At the baby phase I know a lot of people who did that.  Just pass naked baby to naked parent and BOOM - showery clean and cuddly.

Chiquito had to grow into liking baths.  If he's able to sit upright one thing that worked was a tub drum kit because he loved hitting them.  

We also just learned to keep baths infrequent and power through them.  We didn't love hearing the kid scream but said that it was at least reassurance that he was alive.

I'm not any help, but more have a funny story.

I was visiting and staying with my sister when my niece (M) was about 2 years old.  She was screaming bloody murder when it was bath time.  But, once she was in the bath, she seemed to like it and have fun.

As my sister was giving her the bath, I remarked on that.  Something like, "For as upset she was to get into the bath, at least she seems pretty happy now that she's in it."

My sister ruefully laughed.  And told me that M would also be screaming again when it was time to get out of the bath, too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Have you tried colors?  We use "Color my bath" tabs from amazon.  That's helped a little and we haven't had any issues with staining the tub or anything.  Also, just powering through.  G went through this for awhile also and has fun picking colors and dropping them in. 

Yes, DS totally went through a phase like this. The colors helped for a bit, then clear water was novel. He's been into showers for almost a year now. He just needs help washing and rinsing his hair. I sittervise.
  • ei34ei34 member
    One of my daughters had a screaming at bathtime phase bc it turned out she had a yeast infection  :#@charlotte989875 tub crayons, bath bombs and a popsicle are all fun bribes?  STBXH sometimes showers with DS to save time...I never really liked showering with the kids when they were little though
  • Thank you all this is great!! I’m going to order some colors and bubbles and hope it helps. I’d abandon nightly baths but he’s at daycare and comes home slathered in sunscreen. 

Hoping the excitement of colors helps!