Wedding Woes

You have a spouse problem.

Dear Prudence,

My family and I have just decided to relocate from a large West Coast city to a less expensive but lovely college town a couple hundred miles inland. My mother-in-law lives with us, and for reasons I can’t explain, our relationship has always been fraught. For some reason, she insists on taking things I say wrongly and seeing my compliments (for doing something nice for her grandchildren, or going on a birding adventure, for instance) as “solicitous”—her word. We’ve lived together for three years, and she doesn’t want to do it anymore. So since we are selling our house in a high cost city and moving to a low cost one, I bought her a house four blocks away from where we’ll live. It’s a lovely, newly renovated old home. She declined—she plans to rent a duplex further away (she has virtually no financial security, either, so paying rent will be more onerous for her). I thought it would be a way of showing my care and love and hope. But her refusal is a slap in the face to me and my child, and I don’t know how I can even go on trying with her. I want to cut off all contact. My otherwise lovely spouse just thinks that my kindness is wrongheaded and defends her mom’s position. It changes how I feel both about the move and, frankly, being in this family at all. Can you talk me off the ledge?

— Generous to a Fault

Re: You have a spouse problem.

• Why on earth did you buy a house for your MIL without talking to your wife or MIL how she feels? 

Yes, this is also a spouse problem but it's a major communication problem that you went so far as to buy a place for a grown adult to live in and didn't consult her.  How would YOU feel if the shoe was on the other foot?   Yes, you were kind but you were kind and operating in a vacuum.  

There may be tons of issues you have with your MIL and her comments but in THIS instance, your gesture was premature and incorrect.  

What you can do is also advise your spouse what is your game plan for your MIL should she run out of money?  Does the spouse intend for your finances to help her?  This is the greater conversation to have with words and not your checkbook. 
  • What even is this nonsense. It is not kindness to purchase a house for another adult without their consent. Stop being so controlling. Sell the other house. 
  • Why would you buy a house for someone else without knowing the way it? 

I feel like there’s a lot missing here but cutting someone off for not wanting to live in a house you bought for them without their buy-in isn’t it. Get on the same page as your spouse but there’s more to this story I’m sure. 
  • Lovely house to YOU LW, maybe MIL doesn’t think so?

• OK, there's literally not many people who can buy a whole ass house on their own for someone else.  Furthermore, I really think LW is overstating the *I* here.  

I wonder if, and this is a TON of me projecting and assuming, if LW and their spouse had a conversation about this move and getting MIL out of the house and buying her a place, then once pushback happened, the spouse immediately made it LW's deal.

Buying house that is not asked for is always a risk.  Also if your MIL can get a rental application approved, then let her have at her duplex.  The market is starting to decline, but you still may be able to get the property sold OR hell, rent it to someone else. 

LW has quite the lens on their MIL and their spouse.  No one is 100% altruistic all the time, so I'm sure LW has had their missteps with the MIL.  I know there are some people who are generally disagreeable and in a constant state of 'salty', but LW is expecting some sort of change from MIL they're never going to get.  At this point you're getting what you want LW, your MIL will no longer live with you and be in your space with her weird attitude toward you.  It's time to talk to your spouse about your boundaries and why you're struggling with MIL (and use concrete examples FFS, not 'vibes'). If your spouse refuses to have the conversation or entertain your POV, then maybe they can move in the the second house 'you' bought.  

But...I want to know about the context and content of these 'compliments'. LOL 
  • SO.MANY.QUESTIONS.

What were the discussions, beforehand, about buying a house for the MIL.  Both with the LW's spouse and the MIL.

The LW makes it sound like they did it with no input from anybody.  They even use the word "I" bought the house.  Not "we", as in them and their wife, bought the house.

My H and I are pretty loosey-goosey with our finances, as far as getting "approval" from the other one for purchases.  But if he came home one day and told me, "Surprise!  I bought a house for your mom.  Closed on it today."  There would be...words.  A lot of them.

Some neighbors might edit me in their phone and add the adjective "loud".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SO.MANY.QUESTIONS.

What were the discussions, beforehand, about buying a house for the MIL.  Both with the LW's spouse and the MIL.

The LW makes it sound like they did it with no input from anybody.  They even use the word "I" bought the house.  Not "we", as in them and their wife, bought the house.

My H and I are pretty loosey-goosey with our finances, as far as getting "approval" from the other one for purchases.  But if he came home one day and told me, "Surprise!  I bought a house for your mom.  Closed on it today."  There would be...words.  A lot of them.

Some neighbors might edit me in their phone and add the adjective "loud".
    The rumor in MIL' s side is that her dad did this but wanted to move to a condo so he did.  But MIL's mom didn't want to - so her dad gave it to MIL's older sister.

This has added to the bitter taste MIL has had.