Wedding Woes
Options

Try to get some answers, but also protect yourselves if they won't budge.

Dear Prudence,

My spouse and I have concerns about their parents’ finances. Their parents did everything “right” in terms of investments, 401Ks, and saving money for their retirement; they’ve been retired for about twenty years now and up until recently, we assumed they were sitting in a comfortable financial spot. Over the past year, however, they’ve made some choices that we found strange: One parent bought a brand new vehicle although they no longer drive; the other is a longtime online shopper, but has recently been buying things they don’t need (think parts to fix broken appliances that aren’t actually broken), items they cannot use (a deluxe cat tower—seriously, it covers about a quarter of their living room and they don’t have a cat or plan to get one), and a new kitchen set (dishwasher, oven, fridge) even though the ones they own function correctly and are still under warranty. While these purchases raised our eyebrows, we didn’t feel it was our place to pressure them since they’re financially independent.

Last weekend, spouse’s mom and I went shopping at a local department store. When we purchased our selections, her store credit card was declined, as was her debit card and a regular credit card. She brushed it all off, blaming the debit card as not working because she’d just gotten gas so there was probably a hold on the card, saying that she might have missed a payment on the store card, and finally that her regular credit card was old and always weird. I put her purchases on my card, and she gave me the cash for them when I dropped her back at home, but as she did so, mumbled that she hoped “spouse’s Sibling won’t miss the $200 this week.”

I relayed this to spouse when I got home, and they said that their parents frequently send money to their sibling to help cover their mortgage, fun things for the grandkids, home improvements, and misc. bills. I didn’t push the issue with my spouse because as the in-law, I’m very concerned about not crossing into business that isn’t mine. However, this past week, my spouse has gotten calls from multiple different bill collectors regarding several debts of their parents’. The “weird” credit card from our shopping trip is maxed out, and they’re nearly three months behind on payments. The same goes for the department store card, as well as for at least two other credit cards.

Today we met with spouse’s mom, and she made several statements about how she’s not sure how they’ll afford their property taxes (house is fully paid off), that she and her husband might have to downsize or move in with us (downsize, sure, but neither of us wants to add them to our household while they’re both able-bodied and don’t need medical care), and she shared that with the money she’s sending to spouse’s sibling that money is going out much faster than it’s coming in. It’s clear that we need to have a serious conversation with them about spending habits and to see if there’s any way to right their course if possible, but spouse and I are out of our depth here. We budget and don’t use credit cards unless we pay the balance immediately. I would very much appreciate any advice, organizations, or just a direction in general.

— Over-Spending In-Laws

Re: Try to get some answers, but also protect yourselves if they won't budge.

• Options
    You need to guard your own finances and talk to a financial advisor. 

Something's not smelling right here and it's making me wonder how cognizant they are of their daily operating tasks.   In addition to the financial advisor, I'd consider asking your spouse to go with them to the doctor. 
  • Options
    Bill collectors calling you suggests identify theft. 
  • Options
    This put my guard up too.  Why would they be calling you unless they're using your cards/opened cards in your name. 
  • Options
    Is it possible a bill collector looks for any possible number?  I'd want the LW to clarify too if the bill collector called looking for the parent or them.  And they (LW) would need to clarify with that collector WHO owes the debt. 

FWIW, I have received numerous calls from what I assume is a bill collector because I have the same last name as a guy in town.  We don't have a listed number but somehow we have people calling our number all because we have the same last name.  
  • Options
    I would be running a credit check on myself immediately to look for cards/accounts I don’t recognize. And something isn’t passing the smell test in addition to that. Either they were never good with their money and they made a good show, or cognitively something is very wrong if there are sudden and illogical purchases. 

• Options
    Run a credit check on your family & encourage your spouse to have his parents do one too. 

The excessive spending on shopping while financially concerning is also concerning from a health perspective. If this is out of the ordinary I’d recommend asking if they’re feeling okay or having any symptoms. This seems like a mental or physical health change that should be addressed. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Is it possible a bill collector looks for any possible number?  I'd want the LW to clarify too if the bill collector called looking for the parent or them.  And they (LW) would need to clarify with that collector WHO owes the debt. 

FWIW, I have received numerous calls from what I assume is a bill collector because I have the same last name as a guy in town.  We don't have a listed number but somehow we have people calling our number all because we have the same last name.  
    They do!  You all would not even believe it.  Over 10 years ago, I had a bogus $100 ambulance bill that went to collections.

Those AHs called my mom.  Who had the same unusual last name that I have.  And...oh wait...it gets insanely worse.  They called one of my NEIGHBORS.  Asked that person if they knew me.  Told them they were trying to collect a debt, but had not been able to get in touch with me.  So could he pass along the message to call them back.

I apologized profusely they had bothered him.  I was outraged.  I'm picturing they ran a report finding the names and phone numbers of people who lived on my block and had the audacity to call people who MIGHT know me.

Ironically, they never called me.  Though they did send letters and I HAD replied to one, that I wasn't responsible for the bill.  I only had a cell phone number, not a landline, so maybe those weren't as easily accessible back then and they didn't have it?  Not sure.

In the end, I called their "client" directly.  Who had never sent me a bill and just sent it straight to collections.  They agreed with me that I wasn't responsible and cancelled the bill, smh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:

They do!  You all would not even believe it.  Over 10 years ago, I had a bogus $100 ambulance bill that went to collections.

Those AHs called my mom.  Who had the same unusual last name that I have.  And...oh wait...it gets insanely worse.  They called one of my NEIGHBORS.  Asked that person if they knew me.  Told them they were trying to collect a debt, but had not been able to get in touch with me.  So could he pass along the message to call them back.

I apologized profusely they had bothered him.  I was outraged.  I'm picturing they ran a report finding the names and phone numbers of people who lived on my block and had the audacity to call people who MIGHT know me.

Ironically, they never called me.  Though they did send letters and I HAD replied to one, that I wasn't responsible for the bill.  I only had a cell phone number, not a landline, so maybe those weren't as easily accessible back then and they didn't have it?  Not sure.

In the end, I called their "client" directly.  Who had never sent me a bill and just sent it straight to collections.  They agreed with me that I wasn't responsible and cancelled the bill, smh.
    When I worked for a manufacturing company you knew who the collections companies were because we refused to pull our production workers out unless it was an emergency and the authority that these collectors thought they had was absurd.  I got to know their voices and they were so arrogant I wondered how they slept at night.  I remember them asking, "Well what would you do if this was an emergency," and my response, "Is this an emergency?" did not go over well.  

But with the LW, it's why I'm not necessarily sold that this is identity theft especially since there's a cat carrier and new appliances in their home.  It's more sounding like there's something really off mentally.   

• Options
    banana468 said:

Legally, bill collectors aren't supposed to talk to anyone other than the debtor about the debt, but they are allowed to reach out to known contacts to try to find the debtor. Practically, there are plenty of shady actors out there that tip toe over the line (or flat out ignore it.) It's possible that the ILs have everything in their name and it's collectors doing skip traces. Still, I'd be pulling credit reports and putting a fraud alert with all three bureaus for the time being. 

LW, you and your spouse are not going to teach their parents how to manage money at this point. Educating yourself to educate them is not the play here. If they need to learn, set them up with a financial advisor. Doctor check ups if this spending is out of the ordinary (and it sounds like it is.) Beyond that, it's time to have to serious talks about expectations. ILs need to know that coming to live with you is not on the table. It's probably a good idea to loop sibling in and encourage parents to cut them off, but you can't control that. 
  • Options
    Despite having personal experience with the insanity of the collections industry, I agree it's a good idea for the LW to keep an eye on their credit reports.  And, I hate to say it, but on their childrens' credit reports also.  The really devious will use a child's report because the wrong doing often isn't discovered for years.

But the ILs, by their child and not the LW, need to be told that moving in with them is an absolute no-go.  Not an option, don't even think of it as a possibility anymore.  Though they will help them downsize.  

I'd also try to sit down with them and help them with a budget.  Most importantly, that the money being given to their other adult children needs to stop, because they can no longer afford that.

The LW's spouse should also have a word with their siblings, if they think that would help and not make things worse.  Something like, "Mom recently told me that they've been giving you $X each month.  You may not be aware of this, because we only recently discovered this, but our parents are broke.  Please don't take or ask them for any more money.  They can't afford it anymore."

However, because some of their purchases have been so bizarre and this has been fairly recent, they should try and get them to be medically/cognitively checked out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker