Wedding Etiquette Forum

Should I invite my aunt?

FH and I are newly engaged.  We have both been married before so we are having a small wedding (25 guests).  Our dilemma is whether or not to invite my aunt M.  I will be inviting my grandma who is my only living grandparent.  Now grandma lives with Aunt M.  So to me it feels weird to not invite Aunt M. because I would be sending an invitation to that household.  However, I am not inviting any of my other aunts or uncles. My grandma lives near my sisters and parents so they can definitely get grandma and travel with her (my family would have to travel to Florida from out of state).  I don't have a problem with inviting Aunt M, I love her dearly and she is my Godmother, but I don't want to seem unfair since I will not be inviting all the aunts and uncles.  In case it matters Aunt M is not married so it is only her and grandma in their household.  Thoughts?

Re: Should I invite my aunt?

• MobKazMobKaz Chicago suburbs member
    Knottie Warrior 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    FH and I are newly engaged.  We have both been married before so we are having a small wedding (25 guests).  Our dilemma is whether or not to invite my aunt M.  I will be inviting my grandma who is my only living grandparent.  Now grandma lives with Aunt M.  So to me it feels weird to not invite Aunt M. because I would be sending an invitation to that household.  However, I am not inviting any of my other aunts or uncles. My grandma lives near my sisters and parents so they can definitely get grandma and travel with her (my family would have to travel to Florida from out of state).  I don't have a problem with inviting Aunt M, I love her dearly and she is my Godmother, but I don't want to seem unfair since I will not be inviting all the aunts and uncles.  In case it matters Aunt M is not married so it is only her and grandma in their household.  Thoughts?

As awkward or uncomfortable as it may feel, inviting in "circles" does make sense and takes the potential "sting" out of hurt feelings.  Inviting no aunts makes sense. You say your immediate family is able to assist your grandma in travel arrangements.   That would have been the only caveat I could see that would make sense for inviting Aunt M.  Assume everyone in your family understands your rationale, and move forward with your plans on inviting only your grandma.  
  • maine7mobmaine7mob Maine, USA member
    500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments First Answer
    I would absolutely invite her. She is your godmother, so if the other uninvited aunts are hurt, you can use this as the reason. If you don't invite her, she may be hurt, especially since she lives with your grandma, and may not know that no aunts are included. While I think the inviting in circles thing is a good rule, it's not set in stone. In this case, it makes sense to have an exception.
    geebee908