Wedding Woes

Invite your parents to visit you?

Dear Prudence, 

I’m struggling with what to tell my parents when they pester me about why my husband and I don’t bring our two young kids (3 and 5) to visit them more than once or twice a year. We all used to live in the same metro area, but a few months before our first child was born, my parents moved into a luxury full-service retirement facility almost four hours away. It’s so expensive we’ll be lucky if they leave enough to cremate them. And far from enjoying themselves, they do nothing but complain about the demanding and bigoted old rich folks who populate the place.

They accuse me of loving my in-laws more than them. I wouldn’t say that—but my in-laws did help us buy a lovely house with a separate suite, which they moved into when our first child was an infant, to save us the cost of a nanny. They spend quality time with our kids every day and seem genuinely interested in them as individuals. Their plan is to spend only what they need to and leave most of their money to us. (My husband is their only living child; his sister died tragically young.) This may be partly a cultural difference since I’m white and my husband is Chinese American. But we’ve already mutually decided that this is exactly how we want to behave toward our grown children and grandchildren (assuming, of course, that it doesn’t conflict with their wishes).

In contrast, it feels like my parents have decided to prioritize themselves and not invest in future generations, and that this is a continuation of a lifelong pattern. They had six kids seemingly just because they liked babies, losing interest in each of us as we grew old enough to speak our minds. They didn’t help me or my siblings with college; we had to either go into blue-collar work or wait until our mid-20s when we could qualify for loans independently, thus getting a late start in our careers. They didn’t contribute to our homes, weddings, or emergency expenses. Of all six of us, I’m the only one who even has kids, and only because I married someone better off.

So now them wanting to see my kids all the time feels like wanting to have their cake and eat it. Should I communicate this to them? Or keep my petty bitterness to myself and continue to make excuses about the long drive, even as the kids get older and less exhausting to wrangle?

—Disenchanted Daughter

Re: Invite your parents to visit you?

• If you wanna teach your kids that money is the only thing that buys a relationship have fun with that. You sound greedy and selfish to me but do you. 
  • Look I can get the feeling of resentment if they played favorites and did what I've seen in other families where the son gets college and the daughter gets a dish sponge.  But the parents are doing what they want and the daughter honestly sounds like she has no little contact she hasn't even asked if they have plans for their aging.

What I'd do: Drop the entitlement and just tell mom and dad that the long trip is too much for the kiddos but you'd love a visit. 
  • LW is a disgusting person.
  • Wow! Since when do parents owe their children a house, all expenses paid college and an inheritance? You are a horrible person LW by allowing access to grandchildren based on what your parents can do for you financially.
  • The entitlement is insane. My parents didn't help with a lot of expenses, but gave (a little) when they could. And I was extremely thankful for it. Since they've retired, they built a huge house in PA, have many expensive toys (motorcycles, campers, etc). And not once have I thought "Gee, they're not leaving any money left me and my brother". I WANT them to enjoy this time in their lives. They deserve it. And I'm not entitled to or am expecting any kind of inheritance. 
  • I've flat out told my parents to have fun and spend as much as they can, since that will save drama after their deaths.  While also making sure they have enough to have a good retirement.  It is their money, it was never mine.

• Money is such a sore subject with FIL's side of the family and there's so much entitlement and infighting.   There have been so many wild things that have went on between FIL's siblings about the family money (which is in a trust step-GMIL and a lawyer control) that I pretty much can't be shocked any longer by the shit that goes on.  LW's attitude sucks, but it's not surprising to me because of what I've seen or heard about IRL.  

Our generation pretty much all agrees that we DGAF about the money and we're all down with step-GMIL.  We make plans to spend time with her directly and don't go through the parents.  If she comes to town, FIL is invited...but we definitely will plan activities with her without him. But we also know not to say no if step-GMIL offers to pay for shit, we just don't come at her with the expectation that she will.  
  • @missjeanlouise this is exactly how I read it as well.  

And yes, of course no one HAS to help their kids with college or whatever.  But personally i think it's shitty if you have the means and just choose not to.  I don't' understand the mindset at all.  But it runs much deeper for this LW than just whining that parents didn't give them all the money. 
  • Casadena said:
    @missjeanlouise this is exactly how I read it as well.  

And yes, of course no one HAS to help their kids with college or whatever.  But personally i think it's shitty if you have the means and just choose not to.  I don't' understand the mindset at all.  But it runs much deeper for this LW than just whining that parents didn't give them all the money. 
    I agree with this too - we sent our three to the school of their choice and they graduated debt free. However, I draw the line at a house or car. Parents work for their retirement and should be able to spend it as they see fit. You can have a relationship with people without buying them things. To expect them to buy stuff and predicate the relationship on that, I feel is wrong. I buy my grandkids lots of things (experiences as well as other stuff) but also spend time with them. My daughter doesn't expect me to babysit or buy them things. She is very grateful that we do. If it were an expectation, I may be less willing to do what I do.
  • Casadena said:
    @missjeanlouise this is exactly how I read it as well.  

I agree with this too - we sent our three to the school of their choice and they graduated debt free. However, I draw the line at a house or car. Parents work for their retirement and should be able to spend it as they see fit. You can have a relationship with people without buying them things. To expect them to buy stuff and predicate the relationship on that, I feel is wrong. I buy my grandkids lots of things (experiences as well as other stuff) but also spend time with them. My daughter doesn't expect me to babysit or buy them things. She is very grateful that we do. If it were an expectation, I may be less willing to do what I do.
    Totally agree with all of this.  
  • I think planning for your future and not having your kids go into debt taking care of you is a huge benefit, more so than paying for college which you can get loans for.
    To me it comes down to people who want to spend time with you and take an interest in your life vs. those who do not. LW's parents don't seem like they want a relationship with them, just their kids, and for me that's a no. I don't let people I don't have a relationship with hang out with my children. I don't care what the in-laws do or don't do, it has nothing to do with them.