Wedding Woes

I think you need to ask Ian what he wants.

Dear Prudence, 

Ian is a perceptive man who always sees the best in people. We’re married and have been together for six years. When Ian came out, his parents and family basically cut him out. He reached out for a while; they responded in distant ways. Our relationship started during the end of this slow fade and I encouraged him to move on and build boundaries.

We recently learned (via text) that Ian’s dad almost died of COVID. Now his parents want to reconnect with him. They’ve barely shifted their values but got vaccinated on the down low. They’ve talked on the phone and Ian plans to visit soon, but I said I’m staying home.

Ian seemed hurt but hasn’t brought it up again. He thinks they’ll attend our wedding (we’re legally married, but planning a modest ceremony next year). These people sent him emails “asking for his perspective” on news stories featuring gay pedophiles! They don’t remember his birthday and take days to respond to holiday texts! Maybe it’s selfish, but I decided a long time ago I don’t spend what is probably my one life on this Earth subjecting myself to, or dashing myself on, the walls of folk’s dogma.

With my words, I’m supportive of him going, but I think they’ll guilt him into helping with their massive medical bills, which other families are helping with, they’ve made sure to mention. We make enough at municipal jobs to live comfortably enough but not enough to help with these bills in a way that matters. We’ve recently purchased a condo and money is still tight. Should I bring up what I’m suspecting, or am I acting cynical?

Ian wants me to meet them because I’m a part of the family. I don’t want to be a part of that family. The money we would save from my staying is a lot. On the other hand, this is the open-hearted man I married and plan to spend my life with. Should I just suck it up and go? I’m on the spectrum. Can you tell me is staying one of society’s many unspoken grave social don’ts?

—Happy Where I’m At

Re: I think you need to ask Ian what he wants.

• I think it’s totally reasonable to say that you aren’t comfortable visiting this time and also that you are not ok contributing to their bills. 
  • I think you need to be clear w/ Ian and ask what he wants.

And I also think you may likely need to come up with a discretionary budget.  If you're both employed then I don't think it's fair to tell him he CAN'T help his family but I do think that any amount he spends needs to be a 'his money' situation where it is the same sort of $ that he would be able to spend on shoes, clothing, extra drinks and not 'this is the joint vacation fund'.
  • I have really mixed feeling about this one.  I can totally understand where LW is coming from but at the same time I feel like he's being pretty selfish and not actually that supportive of Ian (if Ian truly wants him to go, if not I think that's a different story).  I think both prior suggestions are good.
  • I'm leaning more toward the LW should go to support Ian.  This trip sounds like it will be a minefield with heavy pressure for Ian to fork over money.  The LW could be the voice of reason and emotional support.  But, at the same time, I can certainly understand why he doesn't want to go and wouldn't blame him for that choice either.

How charming the parents didn't contact Ian when his father was dying//s.  They only contacted him and "oh, we've changed!", when the bills started rolling in.

I get it!  We can all see what is going down here.  But Ian loves his parents and wants their love back.  It would be cruel to point out they probably only want his money.  When Ian figures that out, which could be on this trip, he'll need the LW's support more than ever.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If LW goes or not, there should be boundaries discussed with Ian regarding family.
  • These situations are really hard because Ian has set LW up in a way by being distant from to downright trashing his family to LW.  Now tragedy has struck and Ian is feeling a pull that is hard for LW to understand.  

I get not wanting to go be around people who have mistreated someone you love and you fear may not be welcoming to you.  But I've found that *most* people are on their best 'behavior' in these situations.  

LW needs to be a little more understanding and less assumptive.  The best place to start is to ask Ian if he really needs LW there with him, and mean it.  LW should also express his fears that Ian's family are going to ask for assistance, financially or otherwise and tell Ian they need to have a plan. 

But if Ian really wants LW to be there, then I think LW should go.  Ian and LW should book their own place to stay though.  They will probably need an escape and a place to have privacy after their interactions with Ian's family. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    These situations are really hard because Ian has set LW up in a way by being distant from to downright trashing his family to LW.  Now tragedy has struck and Ian is feeling a pull that is hard for LW to understand.  

I get not wanting to go be around people who have mistreated someone you love and you fear may not be welcoming to you.  But I've found that *most* people are on their best 'behavior' in these situations.  

LW needs to be a little more understanding and less assumptive.  The best place to start is to ask Ian if he really needs LW there with him, and mean it.  LW should also express his fears that Ian's family are going to ask for assistance, financially or otherwise and tell Ian they need to have a plan. 

But if Ian really wants LW to be there, then I think LW should go.  Ian and LW should book their own place to stay though.  They will probably need an escape and a place to have privacy after their interactions with Ian's family. 
    I agree and if they go they need a signal or a word LW can say that means “I’m at my limit, I need to get out” and Ian needs to honor that. If Ian can’t than LW shouldn’t go. 

There’s a balance between supporting a spouse in a complicated family dynamic and putting themselves in an environment that doesn’t feel safe. LW should t be expected to do the later.