Wedding Woes

Ready for the weekend

Another bad day and night yesterday, with blood sugar troubles.  It was running super high all day and I just couldn't get it down.  Then it plummeted way too low right before I was going to bed.  For the second night in a row.  So I didn't get to sleep until 1am again (sigh).

At least it's my half day!  This afternoon will be a sorely needed crash and burn nap.  Then my H and I are meeting our new tenants tonight, to sign the lease and hand over the keys.  That house is near a Little Caesars pizza and that will be dinner.  I have a T-Mobile coupon to get an extra-most-bestest for $3, plus I've been wanting to try their pizza with the cupped pepperonis.

To add on to the high-calorie weekend, my H and I scored free tickets to the Fried Chicken Festival.  We will check that out on either Sat. or Sun.  I've heard of Gus World Famous Fried Chicken but have never had the pleasure because they are not in this area.  They are going to be there and I'm excited to finally get to try them..  They are my main target, but there are a lot of yummy sounding restaurants/menus.    
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ready for the weekend

• I think I finally turned a corner with my dreaded change of season cold.  I ran myself ragged last week and had insomnia so none of it is a surprise that I battled it. 

Tomorrow DH is on dad duty and both kids are supposed to have soccer games but because the remnants of Ian are due to show up I have a feeling the fields will be closed and they'll have a good time inside. 

It's my annual wine trip to local vineyards and I'm going to LOVE IT.  
  • Mom and dad are visiting this weekend and planning on the zoo tomorrow!  The boys are pretty excited to show grandma and grandpa all the animals and the playground in the middle.  

I'm totally blanking on something have for dinner the next 2 nights. We'll order something for sure tomorrow night, probably pizza, but i have no idea what to do tonight.  I dont' really feel like cooking, but nothing sounds good to order.  Anyone have ideas?  
  • @short+sassy  obviously that's not ok, is there anything that could trigger that? {stress, illness etc}
    Scary :\ 

@banana468 yay turning a corner!
  • Casadena said:
    Mom and dad are visiting this weekend and planning on the zoo tomorrow!  The boys are pretty excited to show grandma and grandpa all the animals and the playground in the middle.  

I'm totally blanking on something have for dinner the next 2 nights. We'll order something for sure tomorrow night, probably pizza, but i have no idea what to do tonight.  I dont' really feel like cooking, but nothing sounds good to order.  Anyone have ideas?  
    If it's an Italian restaurant, you all could also order a family sized entree.  Like one pizza, one lasagna, one family-sized salad.  If you have a Carraba's near you, they have a lot of family-sized entree options.

Some Mexican restaurants do a nice to-go taco bar.  Like you choose 1-2 meats and then it comes with all the fixings, so people can put together the kind of tacos they want.

For easy to cook at-home meals, I'm a fan of those frozen family meal bags.  Everything is included in the bag and you just dump the bag into a frying pan or oven dish.

In fact, there is a Shrimp and Veggie stir fry from Costco in my freezer right now.  It's a fairly new Kirlkland product in my local Costco and I've been curious to try it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • oooh a Costco meal is a great idea @short+sassy!  I love Carabba's but there's not one around us. I LOVE costco's meatloaf and potatoes meal.  OR maybe soup would good (purchased, I don't have time to make it today).  Shrimp and veggies sounds awesome too - is that a frozen one?
  • Yay for weekend! We were supposed to get rain from the storm, but it looks like it's blown east and we're going to have great weather. We'll probably do a fire in the fire pit tonight and burn up some of the sticks and crap that we've been picking up in the yard all summer. I also want to try a couple of logs in the firewood pile, since they weren't totally dry last year and were too smoky to burn inside. Tomorrow we're going to the brave's game. Then Sunday a long run and I'm going to try to clear out some purge clothes. 

My go-tos for ordering are wings, BBQ, or fajitas from mexican. Mostly because I can always come up with a leftover meal with BBQ or fajita meat. 
  • So I think my mum's getting a kitten from the same litter lmao
    She's joking that she'll put it in her will {she's 61} since we have the sibling.

So far it seems like both what we want and what my mum's getting are boys lol

My system is not happy with me wearing pants right now, so that's a fkn nightmare, and I think my body is ALSO fighting something cuz I have these awful body aches?
    Like wtf ... maybe it's just trying to deal with my system :\ 
  • Casadena said:
    oooh a Costco meal is a great idea @short+sassy!  I love Carabba's but there's not one around us. I LOVE costco's meatloaf and potatoes meal.  OR maybe soup would good (purchased, I don't have time to make it today).  Shrimp and veggies sounds awesome too - is that a frozen one?
    Yes, the Shrimp and Veggie stir fry is in the frozen foods, in a large bag.

This is where I've been scarred from my Costco gig job, lol.  I can give you a litany of their prepared deli and deli aisle foods.

In the prepared deli.  A new product they have for Fall is a meat and bean chili.  I've tried it and liked it.  It's not spicy at all, but that can easily be remedied with something like Tabasco sauce for people who want more kick.  They also have Yakisoba with beef.  An enormous chicken pot pie.

For soup, they have chicken noodle soup in the prepared deli.  But in the deli aisles, there are a lot of soup choices.  There's a new one called something like Chicken Poblano pepper.  It looks like a cheesy/creamy soup.  The Kirkland Broccoli and Cheese soup is on sale right now for less than $8.  There is also a Kirkland Chicken Tortilla soup.  It's been a long time since I had it, but I remember it being pretty good.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I made a white bean chicken chili in the instant pot last night that is going to be a new cold-weather go-to.  I'm also a HUGE fan of the Costco meals.  If you have more adults at the table I'd go for their chicken pot pie.  
  • My podiatrist appointment yesterday did not go as well as expected. My plantar faciaitis is worse. I'm in a boot for a while and start physical therapy in a week or so. If that doesn't work it is steroids orally. Ugh.

I've been changing summer and fall decor. I'm not big into Halloween but I do an overall fall thing. I also changed out my summer clothes with fall/winter clothes. H is running stuff up and down stairs for me so that I don't have to do that with a boot on. I did spin this morning but that doesn't bother my foot. I talked to my trainer and we will only do upper body workouts while I'm in the boot.
  • @STARMOON44, that sounds like such an amazing night!  I'm glad you had such a great time.  But I can totally understand why it is an extra drag to be at work today.

@ILoveBeachMusic, oh no!  I'm sorry to hear you are in a boot again.  I hope the boot and physical therapy work, so you don't have to take steroids.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2022
    I always forget about shopping at Costco.  And filling up on gas there.  I have a card, but use it for mostly buying Nutrisystem giftcards online.
    sorry about the sugars @short+sassy.  Do you still use the libre freestyle? I didn’t like mine and I hated it on my arm, but there’s one you place on your hip that I might look into.  It’s probably not covered with my insurance though.  Because I want it.
    edit; I did a search and maybe I was thining dexcom d6? Which is for type 2, sorry :(
    that would be so cool if your mom and you got sibling cats, @MissKittyDanger
    Sounds like a fun night @STARMOON44.  Was it a charity event? I have one on the 6th myself and have to work the next day too!

i took Friday off to drive to my parents so hopefully i get to see my brother, SIl and nephews!

• @CharmedPam, yes, I still use the Freestyle Libre.  It's a trash product, but a lot cheaper than the Dexcom D6 (either one can be used for either diabetes type).  They are supposed to last 14 days and I had my last FOUR be shorter than that.  The company sent me one replacement and was supposed to have sent me two more, but I haven't seen them.  Yet another thing on my to-do list.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2022
    @CharmedPam, yes, I still use the Freestyle Libre.  It's a trash product, but a lot cheaper than the Dexcom D6 (either one can be used for either diabetes type).  They are supposed to last 14 days and I had my last FOUR be shorter than that.  The company sent me one replacement and was supposed to have sent me two more, but I haven't seen them.  Yet another thing on my to-do list.  
    I never liked mine.  I looked up CGM’s after posting and they’re just SO expensive.  My ex’s insurance covered the Libre but my current insurance doesn’t cover any of them! 

• @CharmedPam, yes, I still use the Freestyle Libre.  It's a trash product, but a lot cheaper than the Dexcom D6 (either one can be used for either diabetes type).  They are supposed to last 14 days and I had my last FOUR be shorter than that.  The company sent me one replacement and was supposed to have sent me two more, but I haven't seen them.  Yet another thing on my to-do list.  
    I prefer the Dexcom too. I don’t feel my patients have accurate readings with the Freestyle. I had a patient come in because of persistent low sugars in the 40s per her libre. She kept eating and eating and it was still low so she was concerned. Took her sugar in clinic and it was in the 300s! I told her she had to switch back to finger sticks with a new sensor on the Libre to check everything was on the same page and she gave me the most surprised face. Like no, I don’t want your sugars in the 40s, and I also don’t want them in the 300s. 

• levioosa said:
    @CharmedPam, yes, I still use the Freestyle Libre.  It's a trash product, but a lot cheaper than the Dexcom D6 (either one can be used for either diabetes type).  They are supposed to last 14 days and I had my last FOUR be shorter than that.  The company sent me one replacement and was supposed to have sent me two more, but I haven't seen them.  Yet another thing on my to-do list.  
    I prefer the Dexcom too. I don’t feel my patients have accurate readings with the Freestyle. I had a patient come in because of persistent low sugars in the 40s per her libre. She kept eating and eating and it was still low so she was concerned. Took her sugar in clinic and it was in the 300s! I told her she had to switch back to finger sticks with a new sensor on the Libre to check everything was on the same page and she gave me the most surprised face. Like no, I don’t want your sugars in the 40s, and I also don’t want them in the 300s. 
    I've heard there are apps, for both Libre or Dexcom, where you can use a glucometer to calibrate them to your correct blood sugar reading.  I'm also aware there is a 15-20 minute lag time between a glucometer and a CGM.  Though, tbh, I've never used one.  I keep meaning to look into it.

I occasionally double-check my sensor readings against a glucometer, especially if I am low.  My sensor seems to read pretty consistently about 20-30 below my glucometer reading, so not too bad.

But, yikes, that is a crazy story with your patient!

One of the things I like most about a CGM that a glucometer can't do, is the CGM will show where the BG is trending with arrows.  So, so awesome!

There's a big difference in how I treat a low or high BG, depending on where it's trending.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker