Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

BBQ for meal at Reception

My fiancé and I are having a rustic wedding next September. The ceremony is outside and the reception is going to be in a barn. We are wanting to do BBQ for the meal and are thinking pulled pork and BBQ chicken for the meats. I told my family recently what we are thinking of having and my dad, sister, and brother in law think its super weird and too much BBQ. They think we should consider changing the chicken to some kind of herb chicken instead for those that don't like BBQ and want another option... I'm torn because this isn't what I was envisioning or wanted. Thoughts? 

Re: BBQ for meal at Reception

• Options
    i think it sounds delicious. I love BBQ so I would think it is fine, but I guess they could have a point. Do the caterers offer options other than BBQ? I attended a wedding several years ago that did a BBQ reception and only had pulled pork. 
    I don't think it was a problem.
  • Options
    My fiancé and I are having a rustic wedding next September. The ceremony is outside and the reception is going to be in a barn. We are wanting to do BBQ for the meal and are thinking pulled pork and BBQ chicken for the meats. I told my family recently what we are thinking of having and my dad, sister, and brother in law think its super weird and too much BBQ. They think we should consider changing the chicken to some kind of herb chicken instead for those that don't like BBQ and want another option... I'm torn because this isn't what I was envisioning or wanted. Thoughts? 

It sounds great to me.  However, BBQ can be messy for a semi formal dinner, and I agree that not everyone will love BBQ as the only flavor profile.  Perhaps you could find a compromise when considering your vegetarian option.
  • Options
    I think this is a "know your guests" thing.  While you hosting the event is your vision, it's for your guests and if they may not like the food then it's a lot of money you're spending for people not to eat. 

• Options
    banana468 said:
    I think this is a "know your guests" thing.  While you hosting the event is your vision, it's for your guests and if they may not like the food then it's a lot of money you're spending for people not to eat. 

THIS!!!  BBQ can have a lot of hidden ingredients in rubs that people with food sensitivities may have issues with (Gluten, Pepper, Peppers, Ginger, Sugar, etc.) the idea of grilled herb chicken instead of BBQ chicken might provide for that and be a less messy option as another pointed out.

One other issue is making sure the food is HOT when your guests eat!  I was to a wedding this fall that had pulled pork with the sides in a barn, great idea, but the food was FAR from proper temperatures when it was served so if you do this, be sure whomever you're using for the food to hire someone to not only do the bussing of the tables, but that the food temperatures at serving time are proper for the food at hand!