Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

fondant or silk fall leaves?

this is my wedding cake i want made. would it matter if i used silk leaves or fondant? 

Re: fondant or silk fall leaves?

• Fondant will be much more expensive.

I don't know what I'd think either way as a guest. I tend to find non-edible things on cake disappointing. I had a no-ribbons rule when we designed ours. Since our baker wouldn't do fondant or any unnatural coloring, the only way we could get close to the navy blue ring we wanted was blueberries.

But usually by the time of the cake cutting, I'm too wrapped in conversation to care about what the cake looks like or is made of or even tastes like. I'm not sure I've ever had wedding cake, despite attending about 20 weddings. I hate standing in line.
  • very true i am just wondering if the cake will look as good if i use silk flowers
  • Depending on your baker, it could look better. Those blended colors for a natural look are hard to do with fondant. Also, the leaves will be of a different texture than the rest of the cake.
  • To help keep the cost of cake down I plan on ordering a basic cake then adding on edible flowers myself from etsy...

Here are some edible leaves I found....
    255313_3528328290997_1532703995_n
    We say, "I do" on July 12, 2014.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
  • There are pros and cons to each.

Fondant or gumpaste will be more expensive. The leaves probably won't look as realistic unless your decorator is very skilled.  It is, however, edible (technically... although a lot of fondant tastes terrible), and will look more like it's part of the cake instead of extra decoration placed on the cake.

Silk flowers/leaves have a risk of collecting dust.  The fat/grease from the buttercream can also be absorbed into the leaves and make spots - this happens a lot when people put ribbon onto a buttercream cake.  They may also contrast with the cake and look tacked on or last minute instead of complementing the icing - this depends on the quality of the leaves.  Silk is cheaper, however, and doesn't have a skillset requirement that good fondant leaves and flowers do.

• This was my cake. The leaves were silk. I provided them to my baker and she placed them based on a photo I gave her of the kind of cake I wanted. The frosting itself was cream cheese frosting.

The servers just took the leaves off when they served the cake. You shouldn't SERVE something non-edible, but for display purposes, I think it's fine. People will debate whether or not fondant is edible, anyway. ;)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_fondant-or-silk-fall-leaves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:99a6a451-b86d-4f9a-863a-03ffd5a1b4a9Post:253de40d-0c89-47c5-81d3-c15dc3800c2a">Re: fondant or silk fall leaves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This was my cake. The leaves were silk. I provided them to my baker and she placed them based on a photo I gave her of the kind of cake I wanted. The frosting itself was cream cheese frosting. The servers just took the leaves off when they served the cake. You shouldn't SERVE something non-edible, but for display purposes, I think it's fine. People will debate whether or not fondant is edible, anyway. ;)
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

MeryMac,

Your cake is beautiful. I am looking to do something similar. Where did you find the leaves? I am having a hard time finding silk leaves that are specifically for cake decoration.....I've seen some at places like Michaels but they are regular leaves like you could decorate the tables with. Is that all they need for the cake or should I be looking for something specifically for cakes?
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards