Wedding Woes

Prudie Day

Happy Friday Eve.  SSDD remains here, how's everyone else?

Re: Prudie Day

• I know it's not great for the environment but I did love that I walked my kiddo to the bus and wore a sweater this morning.

I am SUPER excited!  DH may install our new (to us) appliances in the next couple days. He found a French door refrigerator in our small size we needed (33") and it also has an ice maker.  He'll drill a hole in the floor over the weekend and will get that installed in the freezer and then I'll have a fridge on top with the drawer bottom.   Our nook in the kitchen only holds possibly up to a 35" and even that is likely not a great fit because of how houses settle so 33" is a definite.  I wish we could make room for bigger but it would be a massive undertaking. 

Then we continued to talk about wanting a double oven.  Again, my kitchen is not large.  It's not exactly galley style but it is absolutely not McMansion spacious.  My sink and dishwasher are against one wall and fridge and oven are on the other side and there's no island space at all.  The wall space is occupied by cabinets and they are holding all they can.  In a perfect world it would be better but it's not a great move IMO to blow out walls to make the kitchen larger knowing we have two people college bound.   But we host a good chunk of holidays and every year I find myself on Christmas shuffling my twice baked potatoes in batches in and out of my toaster oven and microwave to keep them hot while my rib roast cooks.  I get it done but I spend most of my time standing in my kitchen away from guests. 

When my brother and his FI bought their house they bought a double oven.  It's the type with the big area on the bottom and a smaller oven on top and no more storage under it.  Once I saw that the style even existed I fell in love and started looking for them.  I have also wanted an induction cook top after the hours of my life I've likely lost to scrubbing the glass top on my stove.  So we found a floor model that's a double oven with an induction cook top and I CAN'T WAIT! 

This weekend Chiquita and I need to go to confession and then she needs to go to mass Saturday.   Sunday she's off with a GS thing and I need to get the house in order for the ILs and my uncle to come over and watch the Daytona 500.  I'm planning to sous vide a pork butt and make it into pulled pork sliders plus my soft pretzels that Chiquita loves.  
    Kiddos are off Fri-Tues.  I hope they behave! 
  • Pretty much SSDD here.  I'm kinda sitting at work wondering WTF to start on.  My notes say my period is 2 weeks away, but I feel like it's going to hit any minute.  Also, IDK WTF is going on, but my night sweats have been out of control for about 2 weeks now.  It's just terrible.  Otherwise, I'm just restless and feeling out of sorts lately.  I think I'm getting cabin fever and I'm just super ready for spring and outdoor adventures.

• Yay new appliances @banana468

SSDD, more interviews.  We're on the back half, finally.  I'm thinking about taking a half day tomorrow.  

Prudie coming up.  
  • Yay appliances! @banana468. I won’t lie, I bought a cheap second toaster oven just for holidays to help with cooking. Also I got electric plate warmers from Amazon that keep the dishes warm and that was a game changer. I just set up my serving area and plug those in and it’s fantastic. 

Work today. I’m tired. It’s cold out (for us, lol). There was a freeze warning last night which is not typical for the area. I had to turn on the heat last night. It was 58 in the house and I couldn’t sleep I was so cold. It’s hard to get moving this morning. 

• @VarunaTT somehow I think we're synced!   Also, I think we're somewhat close in age (I'll be 43 in April) and I noticed that am a sweaty mess in the middle of the night.  I treated myself to washable silk pajamas as a tank and shorts and I find that they're what I need.  Aside from the night I camped with Chiquita they're basically all I wear to bed now. 

@levioosa I'm eyeing a toaster oven/air fryer to replace the toaster oven we have.  

• Yay for new appliances! When I redid my kitchen with exH, we decided on a double oven range, but it was one there they were side to side. And the one on the right side was small, and couldn't only fit one baking dish width wise. It was too late before I realized. Also, I don't know if they had the stacked ovens available back then? Either way, so exciting for you! 

SSDD here. Just ready for the week to be over. 
  • Yay for new appliances! One of the burners on my stove doesn't work right, and I was dying for a replacement through the holidays. But now I'm back to 11 months of rarely using more than 1-2 at a time, so it's hard to justify the expense. 

Today is my Friday, yay! We're taking tomorrow off and heading up to Louisville to see family tomorrow. I'm excited to see everyone, but a little disappointed that the temps are supposed to crash over the next 24 hours. I'm not looking forward to highs in the 30s. 
  • G continues to not sleep, so I continue to not sleep. Draggin a** today. I feel gross too because i wasn't able to work out much the last couple weeks with all of us sick. My jeans are already fitting differently and i don't love it. (I say as I have half a bagel AND a donut sitting at my desk....)

We're doing a volunteer thing this afternoon at work and then going for happy hour and I am SO excited. I'm hoping at least a couple people are up for staying out late enough to skip bedtime, lol. 

Also, idk if anyone reads "ask a manager" but if you need some entertainment today please peruse the submission for "office coffee wars". It is absolutely ridiculous and hilarious and makes me very thankful that i have a relatively functional work environment. https://www.askamanager.org/2023/02/office-coffee-wars-share-your-stories.html (recommend collapsing all the subcomments)

Very excited for prudie today. 

• @banana468 new appliances are so exciting! We got a very similar sounding fridge over the summer and are really happy with it!
  • @banana468, congrats on the appliance finds!  Even for a mostly non-cook like myself, you spend so much time in the kitchen, you need to have things comfortable and how you like them.

I was extra broke after I bought my first home.  I bought this crappy, used refrigerator for $250.  You had to gently kick the bottom corner of the door for it to seal properly, though I didn't know that when I bought it.  About one year later I started my hunt for a larger...no less than 25 cu ft...fridge.  A large refrigerator was one of the dreams I had for home ownership, lol.  It took me 6 more months, but I finally stumbled upon a floor model at Lowe's with some minor defects.  Side by side instead of French door, but it was 25 cu ft.  Normal price $1200 and I got it for $620.  I was super excited!  I still have that fridge and it's been 10+ years.

My other home ownership dreams I'm still "waiting for" are a room-sized walk-in closet and a silver tea set, lol.  Perhaps when I move to what should be a bigger house with a better layout in FL.  I'd really love a pantry room also, but those seem rare.

Nothing much going on for me.  I have a doctor's appointment next week and thought I was going to take tomorrow off to do the fasting bloodwork.  I do it at their office.  Thankfully, I called ahead.  Apparently they've changed it and only do bloodwork Mon-Thurs. now.  So I guess I'll be at work tomorrow.  Not that driving all the way out to the suburbs while I'm starving is any fun and I would actually rather be working, lol.  But it does make for a shorter day, because I'm back home before 10am.

Instead, I'm going there next Monday morning for the bloodwork, which is a day I was going to take off anyway.  I verified they are open, even though it's President's Day.  On the little bit of a bright side, now I can charge about half that day to sick time instead of vacation time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @banana468  It won't let me share here:
    Weather now : memes (reddit.com)

@VarunaTT urg I hate that. When you know cycle is not right but you feel it and it almost makes it worse

• I'm heading out for lunch to celebrate a friend's birthday. I also have book club tonight. 

Yay for new appliances. We have a Samsung french door refrigerator with ice dispenser and water dispenser in the door. I hate it because Samsung's ice makers are pieces of sh%!&. It is only about 6 years old so can't justify buying a new fridge. I think we will probably end up getting a counter top ice makes to keep in the laundry room. I love my air fryer and would definitely suggest that over a toaster oven. It would be more versatile.
  • Casadena said:
    G continues to not sleep, so I continue to not sleep. Draggin a** today. I feel gross too because i wasn't able to work out much the last couple weeks with all of us sick. My jeans are already fitting differently and i don't love it. (I say as I have half a bagel AND a donut sitting at my desk....)

We're doing a volunteer thing this afternoon at work and then going for happy hour and I am SO excited. I'm hoping at least a couple people are up for staying out late enough to skip bedtime, lol. 

Also, idk if anyone reads "ask a manager" but if you need some entertainment today please peruse the submission for "office coffee wars". It is absolutely ridiculous and hilarious and makes me very thankful that i have a relatively functional work environment. https://www.askamanager.org/2023/02/office-coffee-wars-share-your-stories.html (recommend collapsing all the subcomments)

Very excited for prudie today. 
    I am dying of laughter from the story where a contractor hung his container of milk from a noose, with a note not to use it.

Years ago, I worked at a facility that was leased by the US Navy.  It was GSA civilians and employees from a bunch of different defense contractors who worked there.  As such, no coffee or water was provided by any company.  We had our own "grass roots" coffee and/or water club.  You could join either the coffee/water club or the water-only club.  I think it was $5/month and $3/month.  There was one unsung hero who managed and organized almost ALL of it, including collecting the money and keeping track of who were members of which club.  Though that part was more on an honor system.  It ran surprisingly well.

At my current company, there are a lot of breakroom AHs.  Twice in the last week I have found an empty ice tray put back in the freezer.  We have four coffee pots and people will put an empty or almost empty coffee pot back on a hot burner, instead of just making another pot.  It's a big reason I now keep a Keurig at my desk.  I don't have to be PO'ed about the coffee on an almost daily basis anymore.  The other reason is the coffee my company provides is mediocre, though at least it's free for the people who want it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn’t even know they had a double oven side by side and not stacked?  Either way, I do 90% of my cooking stovetop. You’d be amazed at how clean my oven is inside! You’d be like “is this new?”. Nope, 5 years old.  Lol. 
    Sorry about the sleep troubles @Casadena, wishing you a good nights sleep soon.

i realize I have a first world problem.  I’ve been buying Theirry Mugler’s line of angel and alien fragrances since Christmas and a new one was released yesterday “angel elixer”. I only want the small “sample” 10 ml bottle, because I’m overloaded on perfumes as it is, but I can only find that one on his actual site and I’m NOT a “pay for shipping” kinda gal. I’m also one that needs coupons and hopefully a purchase through raketen for even more % off. I’d like to save on shipping containers and be able to pick it up at a store. I have a LOT of ulta reward dollars that would make it free, but no other store is carrying the new line.  Makes me a (spoiled and not even a real problem) sad panda today. 

• @CharmedPam we LOVE using the toaster oven to reheat.  And lately the oven has been used frequently for roasted brussels sprouts which is Chiquita's new favorite.  She absolutely loves them and I'm happy to continue to buy a veggie the kid eats. 

But I also use the cooktop for most nights especially in the summer.    The double oven is going to be great for the crowds.  Also, I need to get better about the use of the oven because oven cooking means I'm not standing at the stove and that means I can make better use of my time. 
  • banana468 said:
    @CharmedPam we LOVE using the toaster oven to reheat.  And lately the oven has been used frequently for roasted brussels sprouts which is Chiquita's new favorite.  She absolutely loves them and I'm happy to continue to buy a veggie the kid eats. 

But I also use the cooktop for most nights especially in the summer.    The double oven is going to be great for the crowds.  Also, I need to get better about the use of the oven because oven cooking means I'm not standing at the stove and that means I can make better use of my time. 
    Hmm I wonder if I don’t use my oven often because I love my air fryer? I use that a lot too.  It kinda replaces the oven on vegetables and stuff.  Casseroles & lasagnas are the only thing I’d need the actual oven for. Sometimes when I get my homechef box and the directions are “set oven at 400, line a baking sheet and place chicken on sheet”, I’ll be like “nah, i’m already using a pan for something else. This can be cooked stovetop in that pan too” so I do it *my* way, and still tastes delish!

• Last night was okay.

Mild tmi
    My stomach went hay-wire {BK & I had exact same thing, so not food related} but I ended up having such bad stomach problems and it hurt so much.
    Poor BK was trying to be nice, and offering to rub my belly {that's what I do when her tummy hurts} but it wasn't just "oh I have stomachache" it's more "something feels like it's squeezing my insides. Worse than contractions, or just significantly different that I couldn't compare.

M was at the gym, but luckily he was on his way home when it happened. He did bedtime with her, and it settled but good lord.
    My mum has twisted bowels, and I know she had this issue often so I may talk to dr about what could be issue.
    /tmi

I did order some stuff on Shein.
    I've been scouring thrift stores recently but coming up low. I feel I'm have revamping my whole wardrobe slowly? Or maybe just adjusting.
    Idk

I know summer I'll get better stuff so maybe it's the season.

This weekend is a long weekend. Extra long for BK - she's off tomorrow, we're all off Monday.
    We're debating on the trampoline park nearby for just some fun. They have a foam pit - which is a siren call for BK lmao
  • banana468 said:
    @CharmedPam we LOVE using the toaster oven to reheat.  And lately the oven has been used frequently for roasted brussels sprouts which is Chiquita's new favorite.  She absolutely loves them and I'm happy to continue to buy a veggie the kid eats. 

Hmm I wonder if I don’t use my oven often because I love my air fryer? I use that a lot too.  It kinda replaces the oven on vegetables and stuff.  Casseroles & lasagnas are the only thing I’d need the actual oven for. Sometimes when I get my homechef box and the directions are “set oven at 400, line a baking sheet and place chicken on sheet”, I’ll be like “nah, i’m already using a pan for something else. This can be cooked stovetop in that pan too” so I do it *my* way, and still tastes delish!
    I do most of my cooking on stove top also.  It's also possible I've never used the back two burners, lol.  But it's also just me and my H.

I see commercials for Emeril Lagasse's "french door fryer".  It looks big enough to hold a typical casserole dish and they show it with a full chicken that has plenty of room.  NGL, I could probably get by with that for an oven, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:

I do most of my cooking on stove top also.  It's also possible I've never used the back two burners, lol.  But it's also just me and my H.

I see commercials for Emeril Lagasse's "french door fryer".  It looks big enough to hold a typical casserole dish and they show it with a full chicken that has plenty of room.  NGL, I could probably get by with that for an oven, lol.
    Yeah - that's the kind of thing that would occupy my entire counter!

But I could see it as an interesting option for people who didn't have an oven at all. 
  • VarunaTT said:
    Pretty much SSDD here.  I'm kinda sitting at work wondering WTF to start on.  My notes say my period is 2 weeks away, but I feel like it's going to hit any minute.  Also, IDK WTF is going on, but my night sweats have been out of control for about 2 weeks now.  It's just terrible.  Otherwise, I'm just restless and feeling out of sorts lately.  I think I'm getting cabin fever and I'm just super ready for spring and outdoor adventures.

OMG my cycle is being wonky this month too.   I just had to look at the calendar because my boobs are all achy and I'm like, "this feels too early."  It's not that far off, but I'm still super annoyed and thrown off. 
  • Speaking of appliances does anyone have an instapot/ air fryer combo? I want to upgrade our toaster over but we have limited counter space and I want both.  
  • I’m exhausted. I’m not sure if this is still the remnants of strep or what but I’m so tired. By 2pm I feel like I need to lay down and sleep. 
  • @charlotte989875 was it confirmed strep?

• levioosa said:
    @charlotte989875 was it confirmed strep?
    It was confirmed strep last Wednesday (like day 2 of symptoms) and negative on Covid and flu. 
  • Hey @charlotte989875, do you look at America's Test Kitchen?  I'm more pro air fryer / toaster oven based on reviews but they have people who do tons of testing on them and share their favorites.
  • banana468 said:

We use our oven less now that we use the air fryer for doing vegetables. It is also great a reheating - especially pizza.
  • Speaking of appliances does anyone have an instapot/ air fryer combo? I want to upgrade our toaster over but we have limited counter space and I want both.  
    We gave a Ninja one do DD for Christmas a few years ago so they might have been improved. She likes it but wishes she had separate ones because the air fryer portion is smaller than separate air fryers. It is also top heavy - the air fryer can't be removed and is on the top or something like that. She wanted the combination at the time because she doesn't have a ton of counter/storage space either.
    If we didn't have an instapot, I would have gone the route of both because we have same issue.
    We gave a Ninja one do DD for Christmas a few years ago so they might have been improved. She likes it but wishes she had separate ones because the air fryer portion is smaller than separate air fryers. It is also top heavy - the air fryer can't be removed and is on the top or something like that. She wanted the combination at the time because she doesn't have a ton of counter/storage space either.
    Thanks for this- it’s exactly what I’m worried about. That the combo will be smaller and leas effective than getting both separately but we just don’t have the counter space. 
  • A double oven side by side makes me think of my girl Ree Drummond, her kitchen at the lodge has one.  I'd love one someday bc I could use the convenience but don't like the top and bottom look, a side by side would be awesome.  I use my stove and oven almost 50/50 (stove a touch more) this time of year...during warmer months I use the stove way more than the oven.  I don't have a toaster oven (internally too small for my family's needs, and ironically too large to take up counter space for something I wouldn't use often) or an air fryer (totally and completely intimidated by them lol).