Wedding Woes

Classic: Hot husband and mean girls.

Q. My good friends want to bang my husband: I’m 49, and my husband, Quinn, is 42. I love the way I look and the way I’ve aged, so I don’t say the following to be self-deprecating: Quinn is breathtakingly gorgeous and has only grown more handsome with age. Women and men are drawn to him, and I can’t fault them for taste. Most people are respectful about it, but there have been a number of people over the years who’ve either believed I wasn’t good-looking enough for Quinn or that he would cheat on me (possibly with them). Those experiences bothered us both, but we love and trust each other, and it’s easy to move on from them. Seventeen years and three kids in, I don’t think about the so-called discrepancy between our looks unless someone calls my attention to it.

Recently, Anna, a good friend whom I met through our daughters’ school, texted me screenshots of a conversation between her and Bridget and Rita, two other good friends. Bridget and Rita spoke very graphically about what they’d like to do to Quinn and said some really unkind things about me. She said she thought I should know what was being said behind my back. I was shocked and haven’t replied to her.

I’m really sad that my friendship with Bridget and Rita wasn’t genuine. Our daughters are friends, and we facilitate Skype play dates each week, so I’m not sure what to say to them or whether our kids should play together anymore. I’m also angry about how they talked about Quinn like a slab of meat. And a small part of me that I hate most of all feels shame about the things Bridget and Rita said about me, which is what’s kept me from showing Quinn the messages. I like myself a lot, and it feels so stupid that I’ve let two mean girls affect that and make me feel embarrassed to confide in my husband. This has shaken me, and I want to start moving forward. What should I do?

Re: Classic: Hot husband and mean girls.

• Damn Anna, did you have to go about it that way?  Also, did Anna defend/protest/give a hearty STFU already?  I have some feels about them talking about someone else's husband like that, but we've probably all done something like that.  Crossing the line into saying mean things about the wife is overstepping IMHO.

Your relationship with Q sounds solid.  WTF cares about the mean girls?  I would absolutely cut off all contact with B and R that isn't about the kids play dates.  Make plans (probably with Q at that point) about what will have to happen when B and R cut off their daughter's friendships.
  • Anna isn’t your friend either
  • Anna isn’t your friend either
    I don't know about that. Anna's trying to warn the LW but likely went about it the wrong way.  If Anna loves drama I'd agree with you.  If this was Anna's attempt to warn the OP I'll give the benefit of the doubt. 
  • With all the hate she gets I bet Pierce Brosnan’s wife Keely gets I bet she’d have some advice. 

Show Quinn the messages. And I’d be tempted to tell your “friends” you know what they said the group text. No threats about the kids or getting together, just tell them you know what they said about you and Quinn. 
  • Cut off any social interactions with B and R, unless it is related to the kids.

What I would do, at least in my own head, is rip apart how B and R look.  How ugly their husbands are, so obviously they'd be lusting after mine.  Any mean, spiteful thing I could think of for why B and R suck so much.  Any time I think of them, replace that thought with one of my reasons for why they are such losers.

That kind of thought exercise isn't perfect and takes time to establish that pattern.  It also may not work for everyone, but it's the only thing that works for me when I'm angry at someone but can't really do anything about it.

And/or if there is something that makes the LW feel extra pretty or good about herself, she should indulge.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • "Accidentally" forward them to the class group chat, with a lead in laughing about how thirsty they are.

Ok, probably not, but it would be fun.
  • banana468 said:
    Anna isn’t your friend either
    I don't know about that. Anna's trying to warn the LW but likely went about it the wrong way.  If Anna loves drama I'd agree with you.  If this was Anna's attempt to warn the OP I'll give the benefit of the doubt. 
    Agreed.  I think texting someone screenshots like that with no context/explanation is clunky.  A better approach is to call or talk to LW face to face, advise your concerns, and then ask if they want to see the evidence.  Dumping screenshots on someone like that is not the best way to go about it.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    Anna isn’t your friend either
    Agreed.  I think texting someone screenshots like that with no context/explanation is clunky.  A better approach is to call or talk to LW face to face, advise your concerns, and then ask if they want to see the evidence.  Dumping screenshots on someone like that is not the best way to go about it.  
    This sounds like a much better way.  Hearing the gist of what was said would be helpful though still hurt, but not as hurtful as reading the exact comments that were made.  Those are the words, in black and white, that keep swimming in the LW's head.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker