Wedding Woes

Wow, you're a gross and judgmental person.

Dear Prudence,

A lifelong friend of my husband never married. He worked hard for many years—nights, weekends, holidays, sometimes we didn’t see him for months. Between all the work and many years of college, he didn’t find any female companionship, and didn’t really have time for courtship. His parents, both now deceased, left him a nice chunk of change, and his frugal, penny-pinching lifestyle, along with some good investments, led him to take out a trust written by some high-priced, big-city lawyers.

Now in his early fifties, he finally found Miss Right about two years ago, at the funeral of a close family friend. She’s from the wrong side of town, in her early twenties, and drop-dead gorgeous. Her mother disapproved of their living together, until she got a shiny new SUV. Education is very important to him, and he has paid for her to go to a local state commuter college. Then COVID hit. With just less than two years of college, she had to stop taking classes. Now that things have loosened up, she’s really enjoying his money, having lunches with her girlfriends, shopping, going to the gym to keep her gorgeous figure, and of course, the beauty salon. She doesn’t want to make time for books and classes anymore.

She doesn’t want to go back to college, and she’s found a way to keep from going: Have a baby. She’s convinced having a baby will change everything, and stop her from going to classes permanently, so she’s trying very hard to get pregnant. There’s just one thing. I don’t think he can get her pregnant, and I don’t think he wants to tell her that. When I tell my husband her plan, he just chuckles and says “yeah, when she gets pregnant.” I think he got snipped some time ago, and isn’t telling her. She’s determined to get pregnant with or without him, and live the nice  cushy life he has worked so hard to get. If she gets pregnant and the DNA shows it isn’t his, he’ll drop her off back at her mom’s house in the ghetto and forget about her. Her ambulance-chasing ghetto lawyers won’t stand a chance against his big-city lawyer trust. She won’t get him for a dime. How do I tell her she’s wasting a great opportunity? It seems we got the girl out of the ghetto, but we can’t get the ghetto out of the girl.

— Ghetto Girl

Re: Wow, you're a gross and judgmental person.

• I think it's time to start giving out Ho, Sit TF Down Cards, again.

This is waaaaaaaaaaaaay outside of your lane to be discussing with anyone.  IDK why you're even out here thinking/worrying about it, but whatever.
  • Hoooolyyyyy shit. 

I also have no questions about why skin color each of the affected parties are with the way LW writes. Get out of here with your racist nonsense. 

• Get a hobby
  • WOW. What a fucking terrible person. LW, this is none of your business. I'm curious what Prudie's response to this was. 
  • There's too much worrying here and so many undertones.  You're already looking at a lawsuit???  
  • I'm not even going to touch some of the racist/classist undertones here, because they speak for themselves. Yikes. 

Anyway, LW, all those things aside, this is not any of your business. Maybe it's messy, maybe someone's going to get burned here, but it's not your place to interfere in any of it. And you also don't know what discussions this man and his girlfriend have had, or what they've agreed to in their relationship. You have clearly never liked your husband's friend and are using every excuse you can to pick apart him and his life. Grow up.
  • Prudie's response:

Dear Ghetto Girl,

Hey, do you have cable or a good streaming service? I want to tell you about a franchise called Real Housewives on Bravo where you can watch beautiful, wealthy women—some of whom you’re kind of jealous of—live their lives while you judge their choices and talk about them with all your friends. It would be a great diversion from inserting yourself into the lives of your husband’s friend and his girlfriend, who are doing just fine without your input.

In any case, even if this young woman does need advice, she’s not going to take it from someone who oozes classism and racism. Yes, that’s you. Stop. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Prudie's response:

Dear Ghetto Girl,

Hey, do you have cable or a good streaming service? I want to tell you about a franchise called Real Housewives on Bravo where you can watch beautiful, wealthy women—some of whom you’re kind of jealous of—live their lives while you judge their choices and talk about them with all your friends. It would be a great diversion from inserting yourself into the lives of your husband’s friend and his girlfriend, who are doing just fine without your input.

In any case, even if this young woman does need advice, she’s not going to take it from someone who oozes classism and racism. Yes, that’s you. Stop. 
    I'm cracking up the she recommended the Housewives..lol. 
  • Three paragraphs to basically say the g/f is a gorgeous, gold digger and too poor to have any redeeming qualities.

While only one sentence about their awesome, hard working friend who is telling an evil, massive lie to his longtime g/f about his ability to have children.  Or at least the LW thinks he is telling this lie, but only cares about that as a tool to try and shoo this guy's g/f away.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2023
    Three paragraphs to basically say the g/f is a gorgeous, gold digger and too poor to have any redeeming qualities.

While only one sentence about their awesome, hard working friend who is telling an evil, massive lie to his longtime g/f about his ability to have children.  Or at least the LW thinks he is telling this lie, but only cares about that as a tool to try and shoo this guy's g/f away.  
    That's what I was thinking!  What about her?  Maybe ... just maybe she actually is excited to have children at this point in her life and wants one with him.  And it isn't a get out of class free card?  How devastating would it be for her to believe that she might have a baby when there is no way?  He needs to tell her if he can't have children.  

Edited to clarify that by "class" I mean "school"

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Well congrats LW on making last week’s slimey waitress-turned-public-health person seem like a good person in comparison. 

Wow. I don’t even know where to start. I am curious how LW knows so much about the gf’s plans, when it sounds like the actual bf doesn’t know? Maybe he likes having a much younger gf? LW do you know that vasectomies are reversible?  And what’s with all the lawsuit talk?! 
  • I've seen it before when there are people who think that somehow they're privy to private information as if the sharer is choosing to confide ONLY in that one person.  

Come on now LW.  Do you think you're let in on this secret??  It seems like the LW somehow is trying to think that they're the only ones capable of looking out for their perfectly intelligent adult friend.   Not only is this person gross and judgmental but they're infantilizing their friend as if he couldn't possibly have an understanding of relationships or humans.