Wedding Woes

FOUR in one day?! Oh noes!!

Dear Prudence,

I would appreciate your help with a minor issue that is becoming not-so-minor. I have a good friend (we can call her “Louise”) who I’ve known for close to 15 years. She’s recently developed a habit that’s getting on my nerves: She will send me memes, jokes, and cute videos multiple times a day, almost every day of the week except on weekends. For example, one day about two weeks ago she sent me four (!), and today by 10:30 a.m. she’d already sent me two. On top of that, it’s generally during my work hours; fortunately, I work from home—as does she, and I’m assuming she’s bored—so I’m not getting in trouble because of it, but the interruptions are annoying.

I’ve turned off as many notifications as I can, and I try not to respond unless I’m on lunch or my day is over, but she’ll send more regardless. Can you suggest a way to bring this up gently, as I need her to calm down but don’t want to hurt her feelings? It’s nice that she’s thinking about me, but once or twice a week would be fine. How many baby Yoda memes does one person need to share?

— Meme in Peace

Re: FOUR in one day?! Oh noes!!

• Do they need a response? I have an acquaintance who does this in a group chat and I basically just ignore it. 
  • Ok, the fact that LW had to write for advice about this. I can't. 

I have a former co-worker who sends me memes on IG all day. I send them back as well when I see something funny. We also watch a lot of the same Bravo show so a lot of times it's related to that. Anyway, I only check on them when I have time. I'm not picking up my phone every time I see a notification. I just can't imagine getting mad/annoyed by this. How dumb. 
  • DH's and my entire group chat with M and L is memes and GIFs and a sprinkling of conversations and/or 'we're on our way!' when we're getting together.  LOL  This LW would hate us.  
  • Yeah - I'm team no response.  
  • it takes 5 seconds to type "lol"

It takes 0 seconds to ignore it. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Just ignore them?