Wedding Woes

You've been given notes, but it doesn't sound like you take them.

Dear Prudence,

I got labeled aggressive by one of my friends. I’ve always known that I intimidate people, but I never really thought it was because of my personality. I always thought it was either because of my body type, my athletic ability, or my education. Recently, I lost touch with a friend of mine. That’s not completely uncommon for me when I get busy at work. I ran into her over the weekend. She was nice and friendly, but definitely got uncomfortable when a friend came up and mentioned a party she was having. It was clear she didn’t want me to go, and I brought that up. Long story short, she accused me of having an “aggressive” personality. She didn’t mean I was mean, she meant that I get really excited about things, am confident in my opinions, and am sometimes very loud.

That is all absolutely true and I have no plans on changing that, but my problem is, I think this may be why I no longer have any close friends. I’ve always thought of myself as a social chameleon, preferring to match the vibe of the other person, unless I’m talking about something I’m passionate about. I don’t usually talk about those things unless the person I’m talking to has the same interest. I am naturally a very lighthearted person and I always thought that people saw that instead of my size or my resume. A few years ago, I found out there was a boy I liked in high school who was intimidated by my athletic ability, and for years I’ve seen people act weird when I tell them where I graduated from college, but I always thought that didn’t matter because of my personality. Now I’m wondering if that’s true. Even in college, I had very few friends, even among athletes who wouldn’t be intimidated by me. I really want to find some close friends again. Do you have any advice on how I can avoid intimidating people while not hiding who I am?

— Aggressively Friendly

Re: You've been given notes, but it doesn't sound like you take them.

• People aren’t intimated by you because of where you went to school or that you’re an athlete- they don’t like you because you monopolize conversations and are condescending. But you know that and aren’t interested in changing so there’s your answer. 
    Yep, agreed. 
  • People aren’t intimated by you because of where you went to school or that you’re an athlete- they don’t like you because you monopolize conversations and are condescending. But you know that and aren’t interested in changing so there’s your answer. 
    exacly
  • mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence,

I got labeled aggressive by one of my friends. I’ve always known that I intimidate people, but I never really thought it was because of my personality. I always thought it was either because of my body type, my athletic ability, or my education. Recently, I lost touch with a friend of mine. That’s not completely uncommon for me when I get busy at work. I ran into her over the weekend. She was nice and friendly, but definitely got uncomfortable when a friend came up and mentioned a party she was having. It was clear she didn’t want me to go, and I brought that up. Long story short, she accused me of having an “aggressive” personality. She didn’t mean I was mean, she meant that I get really excited about things, am confident in my opinions, and am sometimes very loud.

That is all absolutely true and I have no plans on changing that, but my problem is, I think this may be why I no longer have any close friends. I’ve always thought of myself as a social chameleon, preferring to match the vibe of the other person, unless I’m talking about something I’m passionate about. I don’t usually talk about those things unless the person I’m talking to has the same interest. I am naturally a very lighthearted person and I always thought that people saw that instead of my size or my resume. A few years ago, I found out there was a boy I liked in high school who was intimidated by my athletic ability, and for years I’ve seen people act weird when I tell them where I graduated from college, but I always thought that didn’t matter because of my personality. Now I’m wondering if that’s true. Even in college, I had very few friends, even among athletes who wouldn’t be intimidated by me. I really want to find some close friends again. Do you have any advice on how I can avoid intimidating people while not hiding who I am?

— Aggressively Friendly

You need a better therapist.  

It sounds like everyone is telling you that you're not confident but arrogant.  
  • I think this guy and the jerk from the restaurant in the Prudie letter from a week ork two ago would be GREAT friends. 
  • banana468 said:
    I think this guy and the jerk from the restaurant in the Prudie letter from a week ork two ago would be GREAT friends. 
    I was reminded of that letter also!

I pictured a person telling me this problem in a loud voice, while they were doing body building poses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • "I'm a pretty go with the flow kind of person and love hanging out with people but they can be pretty intimidated by my intelligence, athleticism and great body which I love to talk about all the time.  Can you help me make some friends?"
  • Did FSIL B write this?