Wedding Woes
Options

I think it's over.

Dear Prudence,

My almost four-year marriage is in dire straits due to my wife’s obsession with her teen daughter from a previous relationship. I say “her” daughter because my wife doesn’t want me to have anything to do with her parenting or time with her daughter. The daughter is my wife’s priority and doesn’t think the marriage should take precedence over her relationship with her daughter. The daughter no longer likes me and tries to always be with my wife so I can have no time with her. My wife seems to relish in this. If I come into a room they are in, they stop their talking and laughing together until I leave, and then it resumes. If I confront my wife about it, she says it’s all in my head, and I really should let it go. When I come into her home, my wife refuses to even greet or acknowledge me. I say “her” home because she completely left me out of the recent homebuying process. It was her and the daughter’s involvement. Most of my stuff is in storage because I am not allowed to fill the house with any of it yet the daughter can. No pictures of us or our wedding are allowed, yet pictures of the daughter are all around the house. My wife’s office is a shrine to her daughter. There is no affection or intimacies anymore. She yells at me if she even converses with me. She comes to bed late and says nothing and falls asleep. Lately I’ve given up and just slept on the couch. She told me the other day that I need to change to be someone she deserves. The problem is, I don’t know what that means or why she’s saying it as I’m still the same person I was when we married. I’m at my wits’ end and don’t know where to go from here.

— Lost, Alone, and Frustrated

Re: I think it's over.

• Options
    Get a lawyer.
  • Options
    Time for an attorney. 
  • Options
    Get out now. 
  • Options
    dude, she bought a HOUSE without you? i totally understand that you may love her and are confused by what has changed (if anything?). but get out. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ditto everyone ^ it's over
  • Options
    I'm usually all for people trying to stay together and work things out. But that only works if both people are willing to try. It sounds like the wife has already left the marriage and the LW needs to come to terms with that.

One thing that struck me as odd is the 15-year-old daughter always wanting to be with her mom.  That's an age when kids are usually trying to assert their own independence.  Spending time on hobbies and hanging out with friends.  I'm reading a lot into that one sentence, but it sounds like an unhealthy co-dependence for the mother/daughter.  Though nothing the LW can do about that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2023
    I'm usually all for people trying to stay together and work things out. But that only works if both people are willing to try. It sounds like the wife has already left the marriage and the LW needs to come to terms with that.

One thing that struck me as odd is the 15-year-old daughter always wanting to be with her mom.  That's an age when kids are usually trying to assert their own independence.  Spending time on hobbies and hanging out with friends.  I'm reading a lot into that one sentence, but it sounds like an unhealthy co-dependence for the mother/daughter.  Though nothing the LW can do about that.
    Yeah, definitely sounds like some sort of co-dependency going on.  For that reason alone, I say GTFO.  I feel bad for the daughter's future partners.  Yikes. 
  • Options
    I have a lot of arm chair psychologist theories about this one. 

Also would looove to know the relationship wife has with her mom. 

• Options
    Is this Lorelai and Rory Gilmore and Max Medina writing this letter? 
  • Options
    Oh yeah, there’s no reason to live like this.  Even though we really are hearing one side of the story, right or wrong, get out and be happy.