Wedding Woes
Options

I'm being pressured to forgive and forget with my bully, who happens to be my stepsister.

Dear Prudence.

My stepsister was horrid to me growing up. She would use homophobic slurs against me, get her friends to lie and say I was staring at them in the changing room, and basically made my teens a living hell. Even a decade later, I avoid being in the same room as her if I can. She recently came out as gay and everyone in our family, except me, threw her a ticker tape parade. She is so “brave” and everyone is so proud of her. It honestly makes me sick.

She recently reached out to me to “clear the air.” Basically a non-apology where she soft-pedaled all her previous actions as a teen and using the excuse she was just a “confused kid.” I haven’t responded. What is there to say? I don’t forgive you for being the biggest bullying bitch to me because you happen to like girls now? You gave me nightmares? I hated going to school with you so badly it made me physically ill? She didn’t even contact me privately but on my open social media where our entire family saw and have been making comments to me. How do I deal with this?

— Don’t Forgive or Forget

Re: I'm being pressured to forgive and forget with my bully, who happens to be my stepsister.

• Options
    "I'm grateful that you are now being true to who you are with your sexuality however I think when it comes to how I felt in our teens, it's time for me to be very honest with how I felt as a result of your actions.  It's going to take me a long time to be OK with this."

I also think the LW needs therapy.  Not that the sister gets a free pass but I'm reading this as the sister was using the teasing as a mask to hide her true identity and it was not excusable however that was her coping mechanism.  Sister needs to acknowledge deeper the result of her actions and the LW needs to acknowledge that this was the result.

LW may do well to talk to their family to be clear that while they appreciate the honesty it does not change the past actions and the lack of punishment. 
  • Options
    This step-sister bully is truly an asshole. She couldn't even contact LW directly, and did it openly on social media for all to see? Of course that's not ever going to feel like a genuine apology. 

If it were me, I'd go back to the step-sister and say exactly that, privately. It doesn't feel like a genuine apology. Those years were torturous and I'm still trying to recover it from it, and as such, I'm not ready to let you into my life. And then explain the same thing to the family. 
  • Options
    Honestly fuck the step sister. I’m not one for vague posting on FB but I’d be so tempted to post one of those stupid memes that talks about real apologies or something. 

• Options
    I would say exactly what LW wrote in this letter. What is there to say? I don’t forgive you for being the biggest bullying bitch to me because you happen to like girls now? You gave me nightmares? I hated going to school with you so badly it made me physically ill? 

They could add something like banana wrote if they felt nice (I'm glad you're being true to yourself, yada yada) but honestly, I wouldn't. I have no doubt that SS was struggling with her sexuality but that is not even close to an excuse for treating another person the way LW says she was treated. 
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    I would say exactly what LW wrote in this letter. What is there to say? I don’t forgive you for being the biggest bullying bitch to me because you happen to like girls now? You gave me nightmares? I hated going to school with you so badly it made me physically ill? 

They could add something like banana wrote if they felt nice (I'm glad you're being true to yourself, yada yada) but honestly, I wouldn't. I have no doubt that SS was struggling with her sexuality but that is not even close to an excuse for treating another person the way LW says she was treated. 
    This is also why IMO LW may need to address this with the parental authorities.  If there's one kid in the household acting in such a horrible way why weren't they dispensing with the punishment??    Not that the sister gets off the hook here but FFS, it's hard enough to see my kid hurt and not walk up to other parents and say, "Could you tell your daughter that she's acting like a jerk to my kid and it's not cool?"  If it was happening within my household there's no excuse that it wasn't addressed.
  • Options
    Casadena said:

This is exactly what I was thinking.

The only other question is whether to do it publicly.  Since that's how the stepsister apparently likes to roll.

Or to take the higher road and send it to her privately.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker