Wedding Woes
Options

Classic: Just ask if they want to join you for your bday.

I moved to a new city about nine months ago, and while I’ve started building a group of wonderful friends, at this point it primarily comprises roommates and co-workers because my demanding work schedule doesn’t allow time for much socializing. I will be turning 30 in a few weeks. I have never been incredibly invested in birthday parties, and generally hate being the center of attention, but it would feel a little sad to let this milestone pass without celebration. None of my friendships are at the point where they would organize something for my birthday, but I think many of them would be glad to help me celebrate. But planning my own birthday party seems gauche and a little desperate, since I am newly forming these friendships. What’s the etiquette here?

Re: Classic: Just ask if they want to join you for your bday.

• Options
    I think banana is exactly right. Just casually throw out and invite including the bill split expectation and see what happens. 
  • Options
    The only thing that would be gauche is someone throwing themselves a party/event and then expecting presents and/or for other people to pay for them.

But I think it's very normal for adults to meet up casually and celebrate someone's birthday and there's nothing wrong with her suggesting it, especially with a phrase like @banana468 suggested.  Just to make it clear that she is not hosting it nor expects for people to pay for her. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There are some things about etiquette that I think just doesn't mesh with 2023. 

Throw your own damn party.  I do it all the time, but I host the party.  I don't expect gifts or people to bring things, I do it so that I can have fun with my friends.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    There are some things about etiquette that I think just doesn't mesh with 2023. 

Throw your own damn party.  I do it all the time, but I host the party.  I don't expect gifts or people to bring things, I do it so that I can have fun with my friends.
    Yup, ditto this.