August 2012 Weddings

so it's a funny story..

My brother has been dating his girlfriend for a month or so now. They are a little younger - 17/18 years old and just graduated. They act like a married couple with how serious they are already with eachother. We (parents and I) don't say anything however - we like her. She is a nice girl. Anyways, he took her dress shopping this evening for a dress for the wedding. They were gone all day looking. She came back with two dresses - one for rehearsal and one for the wedding. It was in the garmet bag so we couldn't see it. We were all excited to see it and everything so we made her try them on for us. She came out from changing with a cute little cheetah "party dress". It was cute. Then she came out with the second one.....This beautiful long, fully laced white gown. Yes, I said white gown. My brother says "Wow..doesn't she look great?!" I look over at my mom and her jaw is just about on the ground. My little grandma goes "That dress looks very familiar to something I have seen before..." HIs girlfriend says "I love it! This is the one I am going to wear to the wedding." I am still just sitting there saying nothing. Usually I have this problem where if I think it, I say it. Luckily I didn't this time. I have never been one to really think too much into girls chosing to wear white to other peoples wedding but this one was so similar to mine. I gotta say, it gave me a good, much needed laugh. What do ya do?? :) I think I will let my mom handle that one.

Anyone else have any off the wall/funny stories to share from their wedding planning experience?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
image253 Invited
image123 Accepted
image53 Declined
image99 Leavin' Me hangin
RSVP Date: August 5, 2012

Re: so it's a funny story..

• No funny story to share but how in the world ae you goning to handle that?
    imageAnniversary
  • I'm really not going to worry about it. I will say something to my mom tonight for her to talk to him about it. I don't think they realized.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image253 Invited
    image123 Accepted
    image53 Declined
  • Oh my goodness! You are such a good person for not flying off the handle like so many brides would have (myself possibly included). Good for you for taking it in stride!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What is is with white dresses being ok to wear now? According to some people... I still think it is a No No. According to my FI he knows of at least 2 girls wearing white (maybe floral with white) to our wedding. I am shocked! Although I don't think they are like you are describing, that is just wrong!!! Hopefully it gets handled easily for you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_so-its-a-funny-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:a71feadc-da68-4470-8eac-3a411fe63717Post:e9f73eee-1744-4b13-b6b8-7edbf48da219">Re: so it's a funny story..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm really not going to worry about it. I will say something to my mom tonight for her to talk to him about it. I don't think they realized.
    Posted by holycrapitsalexa[/QUOTE]

<div>I think that this is your best approach.  Normally, I would say don't worry about it and if that person looks like an idiot, it is on them.  However, with this situation, it may be that she is doesn't really know it is inappropriate.  Having your mom gently say something to her or your brother would prevent her from feeling really silly later.</div>
  • Definitely have your mom handle that one. Jeeez.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Does it bother your mom or does it bother you?  If it bothers you that she is wearing a white gown you should be the one to say something.  She could just wear the reception dinner dress to both.

PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Is it a big deal/frowned upon for her to wear the white dress the the rehearsal instead? I talked to them (my brother and his girlfriend) last night and she asked if she could wear it for the rehearsal instead. I didn't see the big deal. I would rather that instead of her "wasting" the dress she just bought.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image253 Invited
    image123 Accepted
    image53 Declined
  • As long as you don't care, she can wear it to the rehearsal.  There's no big deal for that.

My grandma bought an ivory lace dress to wear to our wedding.  It's short, but yeah.  All I can do is laugh and shake my head.

Anniversary

• My future mother in law has been planning on wearing an ivory dress to the wedding. I have come to the conclusion of just letting it go, even though it is bothering me enormously. How dumb do you have to be to wear an ivory dress when the bride is wearing ivory? This is your son's wedding??? Duh!! Well, she is the one who will look bad, not you.

If that girl wears the white dress to your wedding, she will be the one looking like an idiot!

(At least that is what I keep telling myself in my situation, but then again, I will forever have a family photo as evidence of her etiquette faux pas Yell)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OP, I admire your attitude.

My next-oldest sister was in town and we went shopping for something for her to wear to my wedding next weekend.  She pulled a super-short, white lace mini off the rack.  I couldn't help it, I just started laughing and then said "you are NOT wearing that to my wedding."

My sister is 55, BTW.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can't help but think that when she said "This is the one I'm going to wear to the wedding" she had to have meant "This is the one I"m going to wear to MY wedding!" 
    I appreciate you being so relaxed about it, but am also glad you're subtlety having your mom/brother say something.  I'm almost sure with her age that she doesn't know not to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards