Connecticut
Options

Alfred Angelo in Manchester

I've been looking into bridesmaid dresses and I really like a lot of the ones by Alfred Angelo. Since they just opened a store in Manchester I figured I should go there since they would have more of the dresses there to try on than some of the other shops that also have other designers, but everywhere I look they are getting horrible reviews. Has anyone been there themselves? Should I go there and hope for the best and just order from another shop if I have a bad experience? Or should I just try my luck at another bridal shop and hope they have enough of a selection?

Re: Alfred Angelo in Manchester

• Options
    2bpescadita2bpescadita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My girls are wearing AA but they ordered their dress from a bridal salon a month before the Manchester stored opened.
    My MIL ordered her dress from the store right after it opened and it's already in. Which is shocking that it's here already! Her alterations are being done outside of the store which is another factor that girls look into when ordering from any type of bridal store. From what I've heard, it looks like the Manchester store is still looking for a seamstress. 
    I went over the weekend to check out the store out for veils and I wasn't too happy with the customer service. I guess it depends on who you get for assistance.

If you can find the same AA dress at a different store that you feel comfortable with on their service then I would say go with what your gut says.
    Good luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My girls are also wearing AA, but we are all down on the shoreline, so Manchester was out of the question and they ordered right around the time that the store was opening anyway.

The store that we ordered from is a little concerned that these larger corporate stores of designers are coming, because that reduces their business.  I love AA, but makes me feel bad for the bridal shops that are dealers of those designers and makes me want to stay "local" so to speak.
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I shopped there as a MOH for my cousin whose getting married this May. I was NOT impressed by their service for the following reasons
    -my cousin had an apptment, and me and the other BM pulled armfuls of dresses while we waited at least a half an hour to get a room to try stuff on
    -our salesperson was pretty "flakey" to say the least. I tried on a size dress that was snug in the ribcage area, and she said i should order a size smaller - i was like, no way jose! and insisted on the larger size (to be safe, although unfortunate)
    -we waited at least another half an hour to check out - there was one girl checking out another party (or something, I don't think they were buying dresses) while two other employees were standing there making or confirming apptments - I thougth that it wouldn't take THAT long to cash out the bride who's buying two dresses today.
    -there was a girl that came in while we were waiting to check out and she had made an apptment online, and something wasn't going right with their website so the girl had come "a long way" to try on wedding dresses and they didn't have time or space for her, although she'd had an appointment and called earlier in the day to make sure it was still on (AA didn't answer the phone).

I'm not one to make waves and I was trying to make it an easy and painless process for the bride, but I can tell you (a) I wouldn't be back there shopping and (b) I wouldn't suggest it if someone was asking about it. I'd much rather have shopped at Bancroft Bridal or another bridal shop.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went in there to look at bridesmaid dresses and it was packed!  It is really really small in there and women were being very pushy.  I left and went to Starbucks instead :)  I think if you want to take a look at the dresses, I would recommend that you go on a weekday when its not so crazy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been curious about going in there just to poke around since I live IN Manchester. It sounds like the service is worse than the DB down the road. I would really like to go in and look at BM dresses since I haven't selected a reception dress, but I might wait til the next time I am down in NJ visiting family to try the Macys bridal salon instead.

Has anyone had a positive experience there?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I had today off from work and felt the need to do some investigating. The store is tiiiiiny! Bridal on the right, maids/mob/fg on the left. I was one of 2 customers in the entire store. I Poked through the bms gowns for 5 minutes. I was done looking by the time a middle aged woman greeted me from the desk. To be honest, for a barely 2 month old store, their samples were in poor shape (threads pulled, deodorant stains, etc) and they had a very very limited selection of dresses. The ones on the rack were all size 8+ with the bulk about a sz 12. I didn't look at wedding gowns though. The woman wasn't rude, but apparently was just bored. I wasn't excited to be there. Just wanted to share.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I shopped for my wedding dress at Alfred Angelo. I am a plus sized bride so a lot of the smaller bridal stores were out of the question for me. So far I have not had any trouble with them and the customer service experience was 100 times better than David's Bridal. I also did not want to spend a ton of money on my dress. I know my dress will need to be altered and one of my friends paid 400 for just her bustle at one small bridal store. I had an appointment from online, they called twice to confirm. They were a little unorganized when I first walked in (busy Saturday) but the manager stepped right in after the girl told us we'd have to wait and sped up our appointment and started picking dresses out for us. She got us a sales person right away who was lovely. It seems maybe they are trying to fix some of their issues.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ash8716ash8716 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would not recommend this store anyone.  Gwen was great to work with but outside of that service was awful.  Nobody knows how to use the computer system there which  caused problems when ordering.  If it wasn't for the fact that they are the only store who carries the Disney collection I would have gone somewhere else. We had issues with all the bridesmaids gowns that were ordered.  On top of all those issues almost every time I was in there somebody was upset because they messed up there alteration or ordering of dresses.  The place needs a serious makeover.  There are also people giving out wrong information.  I was told by several people my junior bridesmaid gown would have a straight across  neckline and came back twice with a sweet heart top, i as then told they don't know who gave me that information.  Bottom line if you can go somewhere else please do!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards