Not Engaged Yet

Leap Day Question

Good Morning, Ladies!

Well It's gray and crappy here, and I have no motivation - aaaaand I am working till 4. *sigh*

Anyway, I was listening to the radio this morning, and they said that Leap Day is the day every 4 years, where women propose to their guys.

Is that something you would ever do? Ever considered?

If you were to do that, do you think BF would be upset? Relieved?

Thoughts? Comments? Emotional Outbursts??

Re: Leap Day Question

• Fudge no! I didn't even know about this 'tradition' until that movie with whatsherface.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• I only heard of it from seeing the previews from the movie. No I would not propose, but thats just me and afraid of rejection, weird, I know!

The weather is yucky here. At least you aren't getting the snow we got. It ended up turning to rain by early morning and everything is just a slushy mess.

• DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I actually heard that on the radio yesterday and had no idea. And I've even seen the movie Leap Year (it's awful). I just thought that was something the writers made up for the sake of the plot. I don't know if I would ever propose to BF. it's not something I've thought about and, I dunno, all of our conversations, and plans, and experiences have revolved around him proposing. I guess it's just an assumption/ tradition we are just going with without really thinking about it. 

But I think it's silly to have a whole day set aside for women to propose. If a women wants to propose she should do that any d@mn day and not just because of this day, or because he hasn't yet and this is her chance to get it done. If a woman feels like she wants to propose, good for her. But I would never do it on a Leap Year (not the whole year, just the day). I just think it's so cheesy. And kind of desperate. "You only get this day once every four years ladies! Lock that man down OMG! right now!! Hurry before you miss it and have to wait another cycle!" Nonsense!
  • I wouldn't have proposed to FI.  I think he would have been upset if I had.  

I'm tired. I'm also pretty sure that I drink too much. 

• I think it's dumb and I wouldn't do it. If a woman wants to propose she should do it any day!

• Make that slightly hungover, party of two.

It's gray here this morning, but I'm hoping it burns off by the end of the day.  We're supposed to be heading to the beach after work, and then it's Ladies Night again.  And my last one!!! :-D

And I'm pretty sure I'd never propose to anyone.  I'm not that type of girl. 
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I thought it was really odd. BF would be really hurt I think - He's traditional, and I mean, I joke with him that if he doesn't do it soon, I will lol, but I never actually would.

I have a migraine from this fvcking weather changing so effing much. This sucks....
  • I guess I'm just very traditional this way.  I would NEVER propose to a guy.  If he didn't propose to me, I'd take that as a sign that he didn't want to be married to me, and so no proposal of mine would change that.
  • edited February 2012
    I can't imagine ever proposing to BF. I am a pretty modern woman, but this is one area I prefer tradition. I absolutely don't care if other women choose this route...it's just not for me.

I think BF would be nice about it, but he'd still want to propose to me again later. At least that would be my guess. He's very traditional and I think he'd feel weird if I proposed to him.

Have you ever seent he movie Leap Year? Totally cute...and it's all about her going to Ireland to propose to her guy on Leap Day. (sorry you didn't like it DanieKA)
  • Hangover x 3. That is all.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_leap-day-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:572f758d-1639-4504-9943-849b7a5094dbPost:3ddfcc03-e2f8-4262-9acd-af9dad8dbc6c">Re: Leap Day Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hangover x 3. That is all.
    Posted by flygirlmeg[/QUOTE]

<div>WOO HOO! I'm not the only one who drank too much last night! </div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_leap-day-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:572f758d-1639-4504-9943-849b7a5094dbPost:c57f6643-edb3-4e73-8e2e-9136f911c052">Re: Leap Day Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is that something you would ever do? Ever considered? I can't imagine ever proposing to BF. I am a pretty modern woman, but this is one area I prefer tradition. I absolutely don't care if other women choose this route...it's just not for me. If you were to do that, do you think BF would be upset? Relieved? I think BF would be nice about it, but he'd still want to propose to me again later. At least that would be my guess. He's very traditional and I think he'd feel weird if I proposed to him. Thoughts? Comments? Emotional Outbursts?? Have you ever seent he movie Leap Year? Totally cute...and it's all about her going to Ireland to propose to her guy on Leap Day. (<strong>sorry you didn't like it DanieKA)</strong>
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha! It's cool. I actually love Amy Adams. I think she's a terrific actress and I usually love cheesy chick flicks, but I didn't like the "Oh, she's obviously proposing to the wrong guy whose a total douchenugget, but let's put her through totally unrealistic mishap after mishap until she realizes who the right guy for her is."</div><div>
    </div><div>But really, all chick flicks are pretty unrealistic and involve some sort of challenge or obstacle for the main couple to overcome, so I'm really not sure what it is about this one that didn't float my boat. Oh well. Different strokes:)</div>
  • Today is BF's birthday. It's pretty sweet that he was born on a leap year, kind of stinks the other three years. Usually I try to celebrate it on Feb 28 and Mar 1. Make a two day celebration out of it.

But to answer your question, no I would never propose to BF. I think like Irish said, he would be really hurt if I asked him and not the other way around. He's very traditional and I know he likes the surprise of it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_leap-day-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:572f758d-1639-4504-9943-849b7a5094dbPost:3fa2e4bf-1f6f-4435-88de-7d52a41d8776">Re: Leap Day Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leap Day Question : WOO HOO! I'm not the only one who drank too much last night! 
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

Nope, I did too.  Drank lots of bubbly at bunco.  Makes for a rough morning.  I was still in bed when I posted that earlier! 

And to answer the original question, I would have  never proposed to FI.  He would have hated it.  He told me a story one time about a friend of his who's girlfriend proposed to him (he said no) and was very clear about his disdain for the idea.  Plus, I wouldn't want to propose; I'm kind of traditional about some things.
  • edited February 2012
    No, I would've hated to take that opportunity away from FI. I think if I were the one to propose, I would've done it to every guy I had ever dated. I was SO SURE they every single one of them was "the one". Pfft.

He'd be upset. Even if he thought it was a joke (which he definitely would), he'd be upset that I upstaged him from having his moment.

Happy Leap Day! Gotta head to work. Lame.
  • I would never propose I'm too traditional & I don't want to take away from the BF's moment either.  He will propose when he is ready.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards