New York-New York City

New York Botanical Garden must be out of their mind

I contacted the NYBG to see how much it would cost to get a permit to take photos on my wedding day.  Well first of all, if you are not getting married on a Saturday, forget it.  They won't issue permits for any other days. I'm getting married on a Friday.  Want to know the price?  $350 for one hour.  Needless to say, I will be going to a free public park.  

Re: New York Botanical Garden must be out of their mind

• edited December 2011
    Agreed! I looked into it for engagement pictures, I couldn't believe it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Website
    image 143 Invited
    image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
  • edited December 2011
    That's insane! I never understood why places charge to let people take photos in wedding attire - it's the same at the Louvre in Paris - if you want to take pics in the courtyard while in a wedding dress, you have to buy a pricy permit.
  • MrsKocalMrsKocal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm guessing they charge to discourage taking pictures there - if it was free, the place (NYBG and the Lourve) would be overrun with bridal parties all the time!  They probably would rather be roaming-bride-and-photographer free, so they make it expensive to discourage people from trying.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker imageimage
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think it is part of the "wedding" surcharge, everything gets pricier for weddings. They never charge for regular people to take pics there, so why does it matter if you are wearing a white dress?

• edited December 2011
    it's so that they don't have a billion brides running throughout the gardens...I don't think it's that excessive.

Bklyn Botanic is $250 for an hour
    Central Park Conservatory is $100 for a HALF HOUR
    Old Westbury Gardens is $200-$450 for an hour

Biggest difference between these places than a public park (like Central Park) is exclusivity.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_new-york-botanical-garden-must-out-of-their-mind?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:be7f7383-3b1b-4f1b-b1ba-557df8e7d47bPost:261eeed6-4582-4649-ace1-f6311f7524fe">Re: New York Botanical Garden must be out of their mind</a>:
    [QUOTE]it's so that they don't have a billion brides running throughout the gardens...I don't think it's that excessive. Bklyn Botanic is $250 for an hour Central Park Conservatory is $100 for a HALF HOUR Old Westbury Gardens is $200-$450 for an hour Biggest difference between these places than a public park (like Central Park) is exclusivity.
    Posted by CAEid[/QUOTE]
    Although the price is high, I might me willing to pay it.  However, they only allow photos on Saturday.  That's what pissed me off.  
  • calli0pe00calli0pe00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_new-york-botanical-garden-must-out-of-their-mind?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:be7f7383-3b1b-4f1b-b1ba-557df8e7d47bPost:d14a3cc5-be7b-46f0-b3a5-cee08c2d5dfe">Re: New York Botanical Garden must be out of their mind</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New York Botanical Garden must be out of their mind : Although the price is high, I might me willing to pay it.  However, they only allow photos on Saturday.  That's what pissed me off.  
    Posted by Goldlie11[/QUOTE]
    Me too- I'm getting married on a sunday. Queens Botanical does other days I believe.
  • edited December 2011
    I think you need a permit to get pictures done in places like that as opposed to just taking a few touristy photos. I'm getting married in Battery Park and there is a license fee to have the ceremony outdoors and to get professional pictures done there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards