Chit Chat

Neckline changes on dress?

Has anyone ever done it or know anyone who has? Any horror stories or GREAT experiences? Please share here! I'm thinking of turning my a-line into a mermaid gown but I'm a little scared! Thanks

Re: Neckline changes on dress?

• I think your asking about the silhouette not the neckline. The neckline is at the top of the dress i.e. strapless, sweetheart, halter, v-neck, ect.
  • Thank you so much! I was confused....!!! Thanks for the help
  • Well, if you are talking about the silhouette, then yes I plan changing mine. I'm turning a ball-gown into a knee length dress.  (no results yet). 

Did you tell the consultants your plans? Or are you just now thinking about this? Because some dresses, can't be altered to the extreme without headaches. As long as they knew, they should have helped you pick a dress that can be altered without many issues (type of fabric, timeline, etc.)

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • I'm JUST now thinking about this, when I originally went dress shopping I did not know what I wanted and felt a little pressured into the dress by both the  consultant and my grandmother :/ lol ... but when I went dress shopping alone, I tried on some mermaid style dresses and loved how all of them fit on me! I love my dress, just want to change the silhouette to be more of my style
  • redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_neckline-changes-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:54df07f6-926f-47bb-9643-8b4d848df08ePost:5beaffbb-1157-470d-8024-ac9369ae5f73">Re: Neckline changes on dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm JUST now thinking about this, when I originally went dress shopping I did not know what I wanted and felt a little pressured into the dress by both the  consultant and my grandmother :/ lol ... but when I went dress shopping alone, I tried on some mermaid style dresses and loved how all of them fit on me! I love my dress, just want to change the silhouette to be more of my style
    Posted by brittanyjterrell[/QUOTE]

Er... How do you know the seams, fabric, etc. are easy to work with/ change into what you want? It might not be possible on your particular dress.

Can you cancel or use the deposit for another dress in the same shop? That might be a better use of your time & money.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • OP if you post your pic like on the other page/post people may be able to help you better.

• Hi ALL,
    I talked to the seamstress today and she said she would have to change the entire skirt because it is made of chiffon and the material under it is PROBABLY not something I want to be showing so I have my appointment 5/3 .. wish me luck!! Or I will be ordering another dress!

And I  don't think I can exchange plus I would never deal with that bridals hop again, it took WAY longer than expected to get my dress and I know they would find some way to screw this up seeing that I am only a little over 5 months until my day! :/
  • vexievexie member
    First Comment
    Before you go ahead and let the seamstress make the changes, I strongly suggest you get an alteration cost in writing..... they charge by the hour.... and this sounds like a substantial alteration which might in the end make it cheaper to just buy a new dress that was designed with the silhouette you want.

Good luck!
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_neckline-changes-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:54df07f6-926f-47bb-9643-8b4d848df08ePost:c8e1a469-130c-44cb-b0dd-65b20825d393">Re: Neckline changes on dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Before you go ahead and let the seamstress make the changes, I strongly suggest you get an alteration cost in writing..... they charge by the hour.... and this sounds like a substantial alteration which might in the end make it cheaper to just buy a new dress that was designed with the silhouette you want. Good luck!
    Posted by vexie[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I was thinking the same.. maybe buying a new dress instead but I will see what she says before I make my decision
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards