Hawaii

Restaurants for a reception on Oahu

I've emailed Roy's and that's looking like a good option for having a reception dinner?  What are some other places?  I haven't talked FI into doing the dinner at Lani yet, he'd rather spend the extra rental money on paying for our friends' travel expenses (noble of him).  We're figuring under 50 will actually make it out there, though we'll have a better idea after STD's go out.

Re: Restaurants for a reception on Oahu

• 55pawsh55pawsh member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What type of budget/ambiance are you interested in?  There are a bunch of places in Honolulu/Chinatown/Waikiki area depending on your interestes... Personally, I like Alan Wong's over Roy's.  They do a nice personalized menu for you and their food is to die for.  Their prices are pretty comparable to Roys.
  • edited December 2011
    I was just going to recommend Alan Wong's! The location is a bit out of the way, but the food is good. I like Roy's a bit better, but I think that's because I ate too much at Alan Wong's.

Actually, I'll add on that I didn't think much of the ambience. While the food is excellent, you just can't beat the experience of Lani (or any outdoor reception in Hawai'i for that matter) IMO.
  • edited December 2011
    i have to pipe up for Alan Wong's since I used to work there - fab food! But yeah, it's in a weird location! Roy's is beautiful and the food is great as well! I haven't been to the Waikiki location... is there outdoor seating? The one in Hawaii Kai just got refurbished last year I believe. A fun place is Tiki's in Waikiki and it's all open air with a great view of the ocean! It's definitely more casual though.
  • mocha beansmocha beans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'm really working on him to just do it there.  I just got off the phone with two knottie friends who are going to take care of photography, coordinating, decor, flowers, and maybe makeup for the cost of two plane tickets and a hotel room, which frees up some cash.  I figured I'd give him a few more options, but really, we're going all the way out there, dinner under the palm trees would be ideal!

Alan Wong's looks really good, I like the local farmer focus a lot.
  • elaineNgeneelaineNgene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our ceremony at Lani, and our reception at Roy's Ko Olina, in the Top of Roy's room.  It was more private than being in the restaurant itself.  Since we only had 32 people total, we decided to upgrade our menu selection.  Everyone said that it was the best food that they've ever had at a wedding.  And the pine-tinis...killer :)

Casey Havre was great to work with.  We didn't really have the budget to bring rentals, caterers and waitstaff  to Lani for a reception (plus we weren't having any dancing, so it would have been a waste for just dinner).  I'm sure we could have found a budget way to do it, but since we live in CA, trying to pick a caterer without doing a tasting, would have been difficult.  Yes, it would have been nice to have our reception outdoors, but we chose better food and service, over the ambience.

We've been loyal Roy's fanatics since 2005.  We've met him a few times, and he actually made a surprise appearance to our dinner :)  Sorry if I'm biased, but I heart Roy's :)

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

• mocha beansmocha beans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh very cool Elaine!  I would presume that is Roy in the picture.  :-)  I don't suppose you ahve more pics of the Top of Roy's do ya?  There aren't any on the website.
  • elaineNgeneelaineNgene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha, yes, that is Roy :)  My coordinator did send me some better pics of the room.  I'll look for them.  Can you email me at elainengene@gmail.com, and I'll hit you back as soon as I find the pics?

• Alan Wong's actually recently told me they don't do parties over 16... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards