Military Brides

Kind of a lurker..

Hi ladies. I have introduced myself before but I haven't been on the boards a whole lot. Fi and I are getting married on August 20, 2011 in TN. We are currently living in SC. Here is our problem. We leave this station in September and go home to TN for about a month, then head to NC. The military will not move us from TN since we aren't already married right now. We have very few things in our apartment now. We have a couch, TV, and mattress and box springs plus our small things, like clothes and such. In TN we still have a lot of things at our parents houses that we want to move with us to NC since we will have a house there and more room. Plus TN is where all the showers will be held which is where the gifts are being stored currently. I was just wondering if any of you ladies had found a good moving company that isn't to expensive? Thanks so much!
Anniversary

Re: Kind of a lurker..

• KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_kind-of-lurker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:0542687e-7f35-42e6-b082-2c8a50d4f76cPost:b2b6dee6-e71b-4373-ae77-ff4d173696da">Kind of a lurker..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies. I have introduced myself before but I haven't been on the boards a whole lot. Fi and I are getting married on August 20, 2011 in TN. We are currently living in SC. Here is our problem. We leave this station in September and go home to TN for about a month, then head to NC. The military will not move us from TN since we aren't already married right now. We have very few things in our apartment now. We have a couch, TV, and mattress and box springs plus our small things, like clothes and such. In TN we still have a lot of things at our parents houses that we want to move with us to NC since we will have a house there and more room. Plus TN is where all the showers will be held which is where the gifts are being stored currently. I was just wondering if any of you ladies had found a good moving company that isn't to expensive? Thanks so much!
    Posted by natalieervin[/QUOTE]
    are you moving to TN or just visiting? Like is he PCSing to TN?<div>Because if so I think the military has to move him. But not you</div>
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • natalieervinnatalieervin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No. He is PCSing to NC. We are just visiting TN. I'm sorry it's so complicated. It's kind of hard to explain in a post. lol
    Anniversary
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about renting a Uhaul? Either the big truck ones or the little one you just connect to your car. 
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_kind-of-lurker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:0542687e-7f35-42e6-b082-2c8a50d4f76cPost:1538e2b8-2678-4cda-adce-45f9dc360c76">Re: Kind of a lurker..</a>:
    [QUOTE]No. He is PCSing to NC. We are just visiting TN. I'm sorry it's so complicated. It's kind of hard to explain in a post. lol
    but not until after the wedding?
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are not moving to NC until October, but they told him he had to turn in his paperwork for transfer in August before our wedding. So on that paperwork he is still single. I thought maybe we could change it after the wedding in August since we will be here another month. We have looked at U-Huals but they are so expensive. It was $600 to rent a truck plus car dolly, then it only gets 10 mpg and it is 700 miles from SC to TN. We may just have to bite the bullet and spend it.
    Anniversary
  • kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    His orders have already been made, you can't be put on it anymore. Movers might be more expensive, at least the Uhaul, you are only doing yourself.
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The military only pays to move any dependents that are on your page 2 at the time orders are cut, which you won't be. If the date his PCS is considered to be is after your wedding, they will reimburse you for your travel expenses once documaentation is provided, but they won't give you the money upfront for a spouse if it's not on the orders.  

They would pay for your PCS from TN if the distance from TN to NC was shorter than the distance from SC to NC.  For example, if it was 500 miles between your location in TN and your new station in NC, but 700 miles between SC and NC, then they would pay for your move from there, but not if it's a further distance.

I personally have not looked into personal movers.  I know that the rate they charge though is dependent on whether or not they are packing for you, how much stuff you have, and how far you are going.  Overall, it's going to be cheaper to rent the Uhaul than hire a moving company, but you have to decide if it's worth it to have other people do the work for you.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could rent a moving van from enterprise or another company like that. I don't know if your stuff would fit or not but it might be cheaper.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could also try the PODs. I've never used them, but a friend moved cross country and swears by them. You just pack the container, then they pick it up and deliver it to your new house. Might save you some gas $$$. Driving a U-Haul that long would suck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Lulu beat me to it. If you are moving cross state lines you have to call to get a quote but I have heard good things about PODS. Like Lulu said you pack it and lock it they drop it off at your next location for you. They will even store it for you for an extra fee (if you are want to pack it earlier or if it takes you longer to get to the final destination)

HTH
  • kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_kind-of-lurker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:0542687e-7f35-42e6-b082-2c8a50d4f76cPost:be325e76-c70b-4c98-90cc-b23e1a31f5ad">Re: Kind of a lurker..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lulu beat me to it. If you are moving cross state lines you have to call to get a quote but I have heard good things about PODS. Like Lulu said you pack it and lock it they drop it off at your next location for you. They will even store it for you for an extra fee (if you are want to pack it earlier or if it takes you longer to get to the final destination) HTH
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]

<div>I have never heard of this but I am googling it right now! It might be good for our move in a few months! Thanks girls! </div>
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to echo what dnbeach said. They'll pay what it would cost up the distance between his old Permanent Duty Station (PDS) and his new PDS, so long as it doesn't exceed his entitlement as set forth in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR).

Keep in mind that orders are from old PDS to new PDS, so take that into account when estimating mileage. If you live, say, 50 miles from base, you won't get paid for that, because they use the zip code for his current PDS, not his home/residence.

Also, the military uses the Defense Table of Official Distances (DTOD) to determine mileage. They don't trust common websites like Mapquest. Just a side note there. In case you were expecting to get paid for 700 miles and it only winds up being 690 in the DTOD. I know it doesn't sound like much, but to some, it is.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • edited December 2011
    Driving a big U-haul that long would suck.. but  I will say they have good prices. That's a company I would trust. Enterprise is great, too, although I think they are a little more expensive.. haha.. The military  gets a little spoiled with the gov't paying for all the moves.. it sucks moving like normal civilians :P
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I think we have decided to get rid of our couch since it is the item that can't fit in FI's truck.(It was free) So we can just move ourselves from SC to TN with just our gas cost. We will still have to move from TN to NC but I am going to look into some of the things ya'll have suggested to see if they are cheaper. Thanks again for all of your advice! I appreciate it!
    Anniversary
  • kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_kind-of-lurker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:0542687e-7f35-42e6-b082-2c8a50d4f76cPost:18f12ed0-3c93-4815-a012-3f2c8ad107f0">Re: Kind of a lurker..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone<strong>! I think we have decided to get rid of our couch since it is the item that can't fit in FI's truck.</strong>(It was free) So we can just move ourselves from SC to TN with just our gas cost. We will still have to move from TN to NC but I am going to look into some of the things ya'll have suggested to see if they are cheaper. Thanks again for all of your advice! I appreciate it!

<div>
    </div><div>I was also going to suggest you can donate or sell your old things this way you won't have to worry about them and can even make money off them! </div>
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have moved way too darn much, and not a single one yet for the Marines, but I've got it down to a science!

Either a UHaul or a Pod storage unit (there are a few companies that do this - Pods, and Door-to-Door are two popular ones), depending on whether you want to drive the truck or not.  When we move and need to bring our cars, we usually do Pods so we can just drive our cars and not worry about the truck.  Check out emove.com to find local movers - they are per hour, and it's usually VERY cheap!

When I moved down here from DC, I rented a UHaul and paid movers $120 in Virginia to load it up.  Then I paid different movers $100 in Miami to unpack it.  So I didn't have to do any lifting, just packing and unpacking the boxes!  It was really an affordable and easy way to do it!  The same movers will fill up a Pod unit, too.

Anniversary

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much! That is very helpful! I am going to look into the Pods because I really don't want to have to drive a truck that long and I doubt FI would like it either.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_kind-of-lurker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:0542687e-7f35-42e6-b082-2c8a50d4f76cPost:d9989ae6-e0bb-4295-ab25-af0221854efd">Re: Kind of a lurker..</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about renting a Uhaul? Either the big truck ones or the little one you just connect to your car. 
    Posted by kara811[/QUOTE]
    This is what my fiance and I are doing when we move to our apt August 1. Renting a Uhaul isnt bad and you can do one way
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards