Not Engaged Yet

tasty new budget-friendly, healthy, FAST recipe to try!

I took a recipe from Every Day Real Food, featuring Emeril, and made it budget/waistline friendly.  it turned out REALLY good (better than I expected, actually) so I thought I'd share for girls that are on WW, trying to get dinner done in 30-45 minutes, looking for an option that combines protein/veg/carb. 

actually, it's just really good and you all need to try it.  :)

my version:  245 cals for 1.25 cups (makes about 7.5 servings). 
Emeril's version:  494 cals for 1/6 of the recipe

my version:
8 oz small shells
1 TBS lemon zest
2 TBS lemon juice
10 oz broccoli (that's all I had, you can definitely put more to up the fiber content)
1 lb chicken sausage (this is really what brings down the cals)
1/3 cup shredded Italian cheese (I used Sargento 6 Cheese Italian, 90 cals for 1/4 cup)
4 anchovy fillets, minced (don't skip this.  I PROMISE you don't taste them.  I was so weirded out by it but I didn't taste them at all.)
crushed red pepper
salt
pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

Cook the pasta.  Add the broccoli (cut into florets) for the last 2 minutes of cooking until bright green and crisp/tender.  Reserve 1 cup pasta water, drain pasta and broccoli and set aside.

Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk together oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice, anchovies, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, crushed red pepper to taste.

Add sausage to larger pot and cook over med-high, about 8-10 min, until brown.  Break it up into little chunks with a wooden spoon.  Remove from heat, add pasta and broccoli and enough pasta water to give it a light coating.  Add oil mixture.  Add cheese.  Toss to coat.  EAT.

NOM.

I started cooking this at 4:25 and was eating by 5:00.  so it's a quick, one pot meal (if you use the same skillet/pot to cook the pasta as you do the meat). 

Re: tasty new budget-friendly, healthy, FAST recipe to try!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards