Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

receiving line?

Hi all,

I'm having an outdoor ceremony in August with just family and close friends (will be around 120 people total... he has a BIG family). We are having an informal reception in a park after the ceremony which will be similar to a picnic/cookout.

The reception will be so informal that we will be able to walk around and talk to everyone then.  My question is... do I really need a receiving line after the ceremony? I don't want to do that, because I want people to just go to our reception site right away.

What do you guys think?

Re: receiving line?

• Options
    I think that it's a good idea to do a RL, especially when you're having a very laid-back park reception.  It's one thing when you have a sit down dinner and you can do table visits.  But it doesn't sound like that's an option.

And it's pretty easy, especially with 120 people to miss someone at the kind of reception you're having.  (That's not a reflection on your reception~I think it sounds great!)

But you don't want to offend anyone who has taken the time to come to your wedding by not spending any time with them.

If you do a RL, you're guaranteed of speaking, however briefly, with each and every guest.  And it really won't keep them from heading to the reception as soon as they see you.  Keep the people in the RL to just you, your FI and both sets of parents.  It will go quickly.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I see what you mean. Thanks :)
  • Options
    It wasn't really feasible for us to do the receiving line; since we also didn't have any sort of staff to cut the cake, we cut and served it ourselves to ensure that we had a chance to greet everyone.  (A couple of well-meaning family members offered to do it for us until I explained my logic.)

The important thing is that you have a methodical way of greeting every guest.  Receiving lines and table visits are the most common means of doing that, but not the only one.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Im not doing one....its not required.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_receiving-line-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:dddb7a53-2721-46c5-839c-ab0879ad27e8Post:9f9cd720-2090-405d-a723-15663e4d0ba4">Re: receiving line?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im not doing one....its not required.
    Posted by futurepivko[/QUOTE]

It's not required, but I would suggest that finding an ironclad way to greet every guest who attends your wedding IS a requirement. 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    A receiving line will not take very long and I would strongly suggest it.  We had a few couples that we didn't get to talk to at the reception because they left fairly early and we hadn't made it to that table yet.  (We only had 80 people too!)  By having a receiving line, we were at least able to briefly talk to and thank those people for coming.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm having a large formal wedding but I hd not planned on doing a receiving line, I plan on walkling around at the reception to talk to people and get my pic taken with them as well as they are free to walk up to me but I will ask my fiance what he wants to do as far as having one before I make the decision tol tell the coordinator.
  • Options
    I've never been to a wedding with a receicing line, and I still talked with the bride and groom at every one of them.  I don't think they're necessary.
  • Options
    We are doing a full formal receiving line (honey's Italian) and it's because that way once the reception starts we can dance and move around guilt free knowing we have already talked with everyone. I have to many friends saying that going to table to table takes so much time that they didn't enjoy their night. 
  • Options
    I really hate receiving lines so I am not planning to do one.
    Married 10/2/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards