July 2012 Weddings

HELP - MAJOR FREAKOUT !!!

I just read on a blog for my city that the venue we booked for our at home reception will be turning into a hair salon / bar after the new year !!!!

The contact for the venue was very active at the beginning but after I paid my deposit became very very bad at responding to emails and getting me detailed information. My FI & I both talked about how weird it all seemed and how we should probably find a back up. Now we have no where to go for our at home reception..and we interviewed and went to SOOO many places before deciding on this one. 

We have already send STD's, lined up flowers, decorations, catering, DJ and acoustic music for the venue =( We are not sure what to do ..................Cry

I almost just want to cancel it because I cannot deal with trying to re-plan this. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: HELP - MAJOR FREAKOUT !!!

• Anyway you can go there in person and talk to someone.. they can't avoid you when your standing right there. 
    I would start looking at other places in the meantime.
    As long as you have a contract and receipts stating all the terms of service you'll be fine if they fail to provide their side of the contract and you decide to bring them to court for reimbursement.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • penny12986penny12986 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is awful!!  I would definitely do everything that I could to get there in person.  Are they hosting any type of New Years event?  This could be your last chance to demand your money in person.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_major-freakout?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:03cf819c-18a6-4b90-8bfa-40e3ef3222c3Post:21381c4d-f810-4c26-a4c4-9d694fd2dcbc">Re: HELP - MAJOR FREAKOUT !!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyway you can go there in person and talk to someone.. they can't avoid you when your standing right there.  I would start looking at other places in the meantime. As long as you have a contract and receipts stating all the terms of service you'll be fine if they fail to provide their side of the contract and you decide to bring them to court for reimbursement.
    Posted by Madisonpenny[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You HAVE to get in contact with them first and visit them in person to confirm what is going on and whether this will affect your reception or not. So breathe a little first and find out what's happening over there. You can start looking at other places if you'd like and set up plan B, maybe there was a 1st runner up of the other places you both had looked at. GL, let us know what happens when you get in touch with/ visit them.
  • We have her contact information, we just want to figure out the right way to handle the situation before we contact her. Hopefully she will just get us our deposit and everything will go smoothly. I am just worried about not finding a venue. We have very specific things we need (big space for 250 people, stage for music, DJ setup)

I just cannot believe I am looking for a venue again ...........AHHHH
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well I definitely say contact them over the phone or go down there in person.  Maybe they will still be able to do the reception if say they are only redoing the front of the place.  Also start contacting your B list of places for a new reception hall.  Best of luck!

Anniversary
  • Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! What you can do to get your money back, and maybe even claim damages?, would depend on whether they went bankrupt or just stopped their business.

I read this article about a bankrupt venue:
    It's not very helpful, but it might be a good idea to get in touch with other brides who booked there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for all the advice ! We are going to call her as soon as I get home. I also scheduled 3 places to look at next week...so I hope we find something.

We just have to have something big to accomodate everyone and we want to be downtown. (This place was perfect because it was within walking distance to the hotel we have blocked).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, get the low down in person and get a contract!  Get the facts before you really freak out!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_major-freakout?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:03cf819c-18a6-4b90-8bfa-40e3ef3222c3Post:442ee1a5-8a2b-416d-beef-10730d3b571b">Re: HELP - MAJOR FREAKOUT !!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, get the low down in person and get a contract!  Get the facts before you really freak out!
    Posted by ginadog[/QUOTE]
     I agree & don't forget to update us on the outcome.
  • Yes go there in person and speak to someone and find another venue in the mean time maybe call the one that was second on your list.  Don't freak out and don't cancel it will be ok.
  • Oh wow! I am so sorry! Let us know what you find out!!!
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards