Michigan-Detroit

Recommend your vendors

I’ve decided to take a break from looking at venue sites so I’m looking for other vendors, please recommend your vendors for:

Photography (already check Amanda has no dates that I’m looking for)

DJ’s

Cakes

Flowers

As for budget I haven't a clue.  What are the average prices for these items?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Recommend your vendors

• Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't gotten into the cake or flowers portion, but I recommend Brendan Pfaff for a DJ.  Several other Knotties are using him.  We saw him at a friends wedding and met with him and a couple other DJs, but you can't beat his price.  $800 flat rate for the night ($700 or $750 if you are a referral) and that includes an assistant, lighting, etc.

I haven't heard of anyone else on here who is using my photographer, but I am using Chuck Cloud.  I am paying $1850 for his time, 10x10 book, 5x5 book, and a DVD with all the pictures.  My sister, cousin, and friend all used him and he did a great job!

Info for both in my bio.

Although you may really want to consider getting the venue taken care of first.  Once you have a venue and date, it will be much easier working with vendors.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    See vendor review via link in siggy
    Ritz Carlton- Reception
    Cakes by Stephanie-Cake
    Thomas and Thomas DJ
    DIY flowers via Costco
    Dress Cassablanca via Victorias Bridal in Dearborn Heights
  • mink492mink492 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Reviews/contact info in bio for each. I highly recommend all of these vendors.

Photog - KBL Photography

DJ - I used Shea Sounds b/c we won a pkg at a bridal show. He was very good but I'd also rec Brendan Pfaff.

Cake - Cakes by Kara, she's currently not accepting orders but she plans to in the future, so depending on your date it might work.

Florist - Irelynn Designs
  • edited December 2011

Photography - Amy Boeve...highly recommended!  She is an absolute sweetheart and so much fun to work with.  She is truly excited about her work and it shows.

DJ’s - E&J Entertainment...again, highly recommended.  Ed & Jason DJ on the side (they both have full time jobs) and you can definitely tell they LOVE doing it.  They are high energy and work the crowd. 

Cakes - I used my MOH's grandma who used to do wedding cakes professionally.  Sorry I'm not more helpful with this one.

Flowers - I used a lady who works out of her home in Frankenmuth...she doesn't travel to Detroit though. :(  If she did, I would absolutely recommend her because she's awesome!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_recommend-vendors-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:8032cd35-0400-45e7-a6ef-9255911394eaPost:a78cef1a-4089-4de4-b51f-9c92ca4eeeaa">Recommend your vendors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I’ve decided to take a break from looking at venue sites so I’m looking for other vendors, please recommend your vendors for:   Photography (already check Amanda has no dates that I’m looking for) DJ’s Cakes Flowers   As for budget I haven't a clue.  What are the average prices for these items?  
    Posted by Autumnbride2010[/QUOTE]

My pre-wedding reviews are in my bio. But here's a brief run-down:
    Photography - Using Jen from Amanda Williams

DJ - Brendan Pfaff, Best DJ $700, a lot of places quoted me much higher like $1200+

Cakes - Iversen's Bakery Dearborn $400 including delivery/set up but this will vary widely based on how elaborate of a cake you want. Average maybe about $3.50 per person for a simple cake.

Flowers - DIY using 2Groses.com (wholesaler) $300-400. I don't know about average from florist but I've seen prices on here from $1500 to about $3000 depending on how much and what flowers.

The knots budget thing is pretty good and uses percentages of your overall budget. HTH
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011

Photography - Jen from Amanda Williams (was she booked for your date too?)

DJ’s - MEII Entertainment

Cakes - No Cake - Pie! (Achatz Handmade Pies)

Flowers - Courtyard Flowers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Melgor78Melgor78 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_recommend-vendors-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:8032cd35-0400-45e7-a6ef-9255911394eaPost:cb98a475-e094-4e04-8d05-fd761cdf2fc1">Re: Recommend your vendors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Photography - Jen from Amanda Williams (was she booked for your date too?) DJ’s - MEII Entertainment Cakes - No Cake - Pie! (Achatz Handmade Pies) Flowers - Courtyard Flowers
    Posted by aprillm730[/QUOTE]

I don't have a date yet but I aksed about Oct & Nov 2010 and all she has is Nov 20th & 27th.  Didn't want that late in Nov.
  • edited December 2011
    Photography - Tammy LaBar Photography
    DJ - Mike Staff
    Cake - So Let Them Eat Cake, Lisa's cakes are super yummy and her price was great.  I think I'm paying $2.25 a slice.
  • edited December 2011

Flowers- Viviano's has a $45 flat delivery fee- even for multiple locations. Depending on what kind of flowers you want, they were actually a lot more reasonable than I anticipated. That being said, I haven't booked a florist yet- a few more appointments to go!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_recommend-vendors-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:8032cd35-0400-45e7-a6ef-9255911394eaPost:cb98a475-e094-4e04-8d05-fd761cdf2fc1">Re: Recommend your vendors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Photography - Jen from Amanda Williams (was she booked for your date too?) DJ’s - MEII Entertainment Cakes - No Cake - Pie! (Achatz Handmade Pies) Flowers - Courtyard Flowers
    Posted by aprillm730[/QUOTE]

OMG I LOVE Achatz pies! That's going to be sooo delicious!
  • katiebird1981katiebird1981 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Photography:  Kreativ Imaging...I think his packages started from $1500.

DJ’s: Mike Staff...not going to lie we splurged on this one.  We're paying $1000.

Cakes:  Friend of a friend

Flowers:  Michele Nonis....works out of her home and was the cheapest I could find.  I thought about doing it myself, but there won't be enough time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Julie, I would get your venue booked first.  Pretty much everyone else is going to ask about your date, so it's kind of pointless to make too many phone calls if you don't have a date set yet.  Besides, the venue we ultimately fell in love with was nothing like what I originally started looking for, so that pretty much changed everything.  As far as vendor recs, I'm not much help.  I have only booked my photographer, who is Melissa from www.agirlinlove.com
  • edited December 2011
    Photography:
    Bryan Mitchell www.bryanmitchell.com (our photog)
    Toole Art www.tooleart.com
    Emily Dowd www.ejphotos.com
    Parker Photographic www.parkerphotographic.com
    The Shooting Gallery www.theshootinggallery.com

DJ: Enchanted Evenings DJ www.enchantedeveningsdj.com

Flowers: Nicole at Westborn Market in Berkley

Cake lady went out of business after 20+ yrs Cry
  • tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Photography - Marco Antonio Photography $4000 He is amazing and worth every penny!  He photographed my aunt's wedding and we loved our engagement pics.  Can't wait to see our wedding photos.
    http://www.marco-antonio.com/

Music - Ceremony - Panache Entertainment - they come highly recommended and price matched a cheaper quote
    http://www.epanache.com/

- DJ - Mike Staff - I was blown away by the presentation and positive rec's that I found through my online research.  I couldn't find any negative comments. $995
    http://www.mikestaff.com/Default.aspx

Florist - Flowers by Kyle Amazing he did my aunt's wedding

Cake - fam friend
  • edited December 2011
    Photography: Amber Hunt of amberhuntphotography.com
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    My married bio
    TTC since March 2010, Dx PCOS 3/9/11. HSG 3/9/11 Clear with dominant but underdeveloped follicle, 4/4/11 Started 50 mg Clomid, 6/5/11 Started 100 mg Clomid, 8/9/11 BFP!
    4/6/12 Emerson Kate was born!
  • edited December 2011
    Photographer: Kreativ Imaging...his highest package is $1500

DJ: My cousin

Cake: We're doing cupcakes to save money and plus I like them better than cake...Callie's Homestyle Cakes

Flowers: Bakman Florist in South Lyon
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and I agree with pp...you should definitely book the venue first. Also alot of venues will have recommendations of their own who they have worked with in the past as far as all other vendors go. Book the venue then all the details!
  • jujubee455jujubee455 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Photog - Dionne from the Shooting Gallery. Our e-pics were amazing.... no doubt our wedding pics will even be better.

DJ - we used pro DJ services... heard only good things about them and I went to HS with the owner Jason

Florist - we are DIYing ours.

Cake - we are using Prontos in royal oak.
    My baby Sir Winston Churchill and I
    My Bio Updated 10/6/09 with tons more DIY
    229 Invited to the Greatest Wedding Evarimage 137 Are my Homies 4 Lifeimage 9 Are trying to drive me nuts image Somehow I lost the part with the declines... but I have 83 declines... eww a bit more than expected.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards