Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Are you including your Alma Mater in your wedding?

I went to Tarleton State University, and if you know anything about that school... you know the traditions are CRAZY!  The "Purple Poo" is  a secret society (literally, SO SECRET... people are married and didn't know their spouse was one) and it's people dressed in purple cloaks and crazy masks, wigs, shoes, outfits and they talk in high pitched voices and they go around during various school events promoting school spirit.... well, people from my alma mater invite them to their wedding!!!  I won't be doing that, but I may wear a garter or something to give a shout out to my school... I'm a proud Tarleton Texan!  I've seen A&M Aggies have a totally Maroon wedding!!  Anyone else including their school in their wedding??

Re: Are you including your Alma Mater in your wedding?

• edited December 2011
    We considered doing one of the songs from UNT since we both graduated from there or making the grooms cake UNT related but in the end we chose not to do either. 

I think it is neat to include something from your school if you have school spirit (sounds like you do) but coming from UNT, I don't have much, LOL.  I did get DH a green crochet hook for the back of my dress, though.  That was his "gift". 
  • edited December 2011
    Awesome!  My FI went to Tarleton and when he first told me about the Purple Poo I thought he was kidding! :-p
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    No. We have spent enough on our schools and while we are proud alumn, wanted to make it our wedding and not about our school. Plus, we graduated 10 years ago and are past that phase.
  • edited December 2011
    I graduated from Texas A&M and we'll be doing the Aggie War Hymn at our wedding since so many of our friends graduated from there as well.
  • edited December 2011
    I graduated from SMU and he graduated from UNT so.....so much for school spirit, lol! We are proud alums but not so much of the spirit part. BUT he is a UT fan and I am a OU fan (I know, I know!) and his family is mainly for UT and mine for OU so I'm sure something will stem from that. Nothing "planned" though.
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sparkling - I thought the Purple Poo was fake or a funny story they tell freshman when I started there... and OH MAN... I was shocked when I saw them!  But it's such a fun tradition... but I definitely don't want them at my wedding!! I had a friend just get married, and he was a poo (they disclose who they are at graduation by handing the Dean a purple toy pig), and they were there... it was CRAZY!
  • edited December 2011
    Nope.  I am a proud TCU alum, and FI is a UTD grad.   I would LOVE to incorporate my TCU pride, most people normally look at me like I'm some kind of a fruitcake when I mention it.   If your not a Frog, you just don't get it.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    I agree....I graduated from SMU and I am so much in debt to them....I do love it, but still.  :-p

Anniversary

• bsn1752bsn1752 member
    edited December 2011
    Tiffany - TCU and Tarleton are both purple... I say throw a little shout out to TCU!  Purple SOMETHING!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm graduated from Univ of Kansas (along with my Dad and Uncle) and my husband is from Kansas, so there were alot of Kansas fans at the wedding. We weren't planning on doing anything, but once we had some drinks in us, the Jayhawk crowd sang the Rock-Chalk chant...really loud. It was fun! Also, my husbands fraternity did their typical "You Lost that Love & Feeling" song where they sing to me...it was funny. I refused to let my sorority sisters do our pledge class wedding song...I find it kind of creepy, plus I graduated 5 years ago and didn't need to live my Greek days.

I think if you have enough ppl from your school, its fun!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    edited December 2011
    Here's a pic of the purple poo from Tarleton... they're a little bit nuts!  (but it really is fun and entertaining to have them run around at school events)
  • edited December 2011
    That is awesome!  I have never seen a picture of them!  :-)

Anniversary

• DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having the DJ play the Aggie fight song toward the end of the night, I don't think I've ever been to an A&M wedding without this tradition.
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_including-alma-mater-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:84ecdcf0-02b9-4235-842b-0e714aab243fPost:32e6a457-cd44-4bfe-99e7-6ad228e713b8">Re: Are you including your Alma Mater in your wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having the DJ play the Aggie fight song toward the end of the night, I don't think I've ever been to an A&M wedding without this tradition.
    Posted by Donnaaries[/QUOTE]

Same here Donna!
  • BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Texas Woman's University, which doesn't really have the tradition stuff other schools have. The only reason I know the alma mater is because we had to record it in choir. I loved my school, but I've earned two additional degrees from UNT since then, so I don't think we're going to do anything school-related. Unless my choir friends want to randomly sing the alma mater, lol.
  • Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made a ridiculous, obnoxious garter in OU colors (pic in bio) and I plan to attach an OU charm to it. We'll have a lot of Sooners, so I'm going to try and incorporate "Boomer Sooner" somehow
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't.  His immediate family aren't big A&M people (almost like they're Texas people in how much they make fun of us--LSU and Florida alum, go figure!).  I only had a couple of Aggie friends there.  However, we did put out our A&M Engagement pictures and my gift to him was a Benjamin Knox sketch of our two Aggie rings interlocked.  It's proudly displayed on our wall in the entry way between our two diplomas.
  • tnickel06tnickel06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We did. We had a texas tech garter and a double T on the grooms cake. We just graduated so it makes sense

• edited December 2011
    Nothing directly into the wedding ceremony or reception, but my gift to him was a class banner and we planned our after party around our college's traditional drinking game - beer pong except with paddles so it's like ping pong.  (For each of the BM and GM, I made personal paddles - one side had their name and a graphic that is kinda personal, and then the other side had our wedding theme on it.)  We played on tables that I had painted (one with the wedding theme, one split down the middle with each half decorated with our respective Greek letters and colors).  I think at some point we sang the alma mater.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards