June 2012 Weddings

Registry PSA: internet privacy (Macy's, Crate and Barrel, BBB)

FI and I have careers where our reputations and biographies are of great interest to our current and potential employers. So we're very aware of any information posted about us on the internet.

Just FYI, unless you make an effort to get your registry information off the internet, it is posted in full public view to anyone who Googles your name, not just your guests when they go to the store's website. When we googled our names, we found both of our full names, the city and state where we live, and our registries up for anyone to see. We only have experience with Crate and Barrel, BBB, and Macy's, but they all automatically send your registry to 3rd-party sites like WeddingChannel and Amazing Registry, which then post your information on the web.

Of course, I want our guests to be able to find our registries on the stores' sites, but I don't want just anyone who googles my name to see it. I am very protective of my professional reputation and I don't want personal stuff up there.

We removed our registry from Macy's entirely because there is NO option to take our registry off 3rd-party sites. At Crate and Barrel, you can change the setting online, but you have to dig a little. With BBB, I had to call customer service and they had to take it off themselves.

So if you care about your personal info on the web, you might want to check it out!

Re: Registry PSA: internet privacy (Macy's, Crate and Barrel, BBB)

• When you sign up for the registries you sign paper work saying that you are okay with them sharing the information. All you need to do is go to the physical store and ask to change your agreement.
  • At first I was annoyed that it was public info, but then I realized I don't really care if people know we want a 16 bottle wine fridge from Crate & Barrel.  Hey, maybe someone will be nice enough to get it for us!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't care if people see my registry. I haven't seen enough of my personal info on either one for it to be an issue. I blog and use TK as well and that has your location
  • When I google myself it takes a while to even find me, and FIs name is so common I'd never find him. When I googled us together, I found out my college jacked my newspaper announcement and put it in their own newsletter about "Alumni Notes". I wasn't thrilled with that.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • You can email/call TK and get them to take the information off the site themselves. They're connected with wedding channel, so the change will be reflected there as well.
  • I have so many quotes in newspapers and blogs that my registry info is pages deep in Google.  I don't care if people know I've getting married.  I also don't care if they know that I use plates and silverware.  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_registry-psa-internet-privacy-macys-crate-barrel-bbb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5b8c1174-a040-4d75-8585-8aace7dc7107Post:ac1f4092-6a62-4194-acdc-e7d6c01e4c67">Re: Registry PSA: internet privacy (Macy's, Crate and Barrel, BBB)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have so many quotes in newspapers and blogs that my registry info is pages deep in Google.  I don't care if people know I've getting married.  I also don't care if they know that I use plates and silverware.  :)
    Posted by CvilleClaire[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't see the big deal about a registry being public information of all things either. To each their own.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_registry-psa-internet-privacy-macys-crate-barrel-bbb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5b8c1174-a040-4d75-8585-8aace7dc7107Post:ac1f4092-6a62-4194-acdc-e7d6c01e4c67">Re: Registry PSA: internet privacy (Macy's, Crate and Barrel, BBB)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't care if people know I've getting married.  I also don't care if they know that I use plates and silverware.  :)
    Posted by CvilleClaire[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  With my job marriage isn't something that is out of the norm so it doesn't bother me if they see it or not.  I'm just cautious about what I do online and the stuff in papers/blogs about me is just about all school or work related.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards