Moms and Maids

how much is your bridesmaids spending on their dresses?

Re: how much is your bridesmaids spending on their dresses?

• edited December 2011
    I am letting my girls pick their dresses, just giving them the color from DB. One got her's for less then $100, the others are between $100-$150.

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine are spending about $205 plus tax and alterations but they picked their own dress. I told them they could wear anything they wanted. (in whatever colour they wanted) The dresses could be different if they preferred but they choose the same one. Except one who found out she's pregnant. She is going to wait until the month before and just buy something in a similar colour that she feels good in.

I would have picked something much less expensive for them.

EDIT I don't think anyone was talking about my post but to make sure everyone is clear, my bridesmaids picked out the dress on their own, I would NEVER have expected them to get a dress that much. They could have picked something from their own clothes if that's what they wanted.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have it backwards.  You don't pick the price that your BMs will spend on a dress.  You ask each one of them privately what they are willing to spend.  The one who has the lowest budget for a dress sets the price limit.  End of story.

ftr, I have no idea what my MOH's dress cost (she was my only attendant).  I told her to pick whatever dress she wanted as long as it was some shade of red. 
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • freebread03freebread03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    You really shouldn't be "asking" them to spend a certain amount on dresses.  You should be asking them what's in their budget, and take it from there.
  • edited December 2011
    $0

They're younger and my sisters and our parents are paying for the wedding, so the bridesmaids' dresses are just part of the whole wedding budget. I've allocated $150 each, but hope to get them for much less, as there's just 2 of them and they're standard sizes. We'll most likely get them at a department store or discount store, rather than get dresses labeled "bridesmaid dress."
  • firechick83firechick83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also picked out a color from DB & told them to pick whatever they wanted.  I think all of them are less than $100. 
    image March 2012 Bride Siggy Challenge
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My BM said they were comfortable spending between $100 and $175.  I decided on Dessy and they all picked a style and price that suited their budget.  The dresses were also ordered through JaysBridal.com so they saved a little money.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anywhere from just under $100 to close to $200. Some need alterations and some don't. 

OP, I don't know what the point of your post was. Are you just trying to make conversation or get a feel for what other brides/BMs are doing? If it's the latter, please don't be like, "See? All of these girls' BMs paid _____ so you can too!" Everyone's budget is different and just because around $100 may be "normal" for some, it is not for others. 

I feel a bit presumptous saying that and I think some of the other ladies were too, so if you were just trying to chat us up, I'm sorry. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • edited December 2011
    My girls dresses are $125-$135 not including alerations. From DB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

After asking them privately what they felt comfortable spending, we picked out $130 dresses.

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    My bridesmaids dresses are $100.00
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June30,2012 I Will Marry My Prince
  • edited December 2011

the bill levkoff ones were $160 before alterations. i've been in a wedding and paid over $250 as well.

• edited December 2011
    The last wedding I was BM in we spent $140- we (the BMs) picked out the dress with the bride's approval- it's incredibly rewaerable (have already re-worn it once) and we all loved it.  The wedding I was BM in before that was v. informal and I just wore something from my closet- I was the only attendant, it was an outdoor wedding, and I was just told to "wear a sundress or something."

For my wedding, our attendants are just wearing whatever dresses they have or want to buy in my color scheme (we have one bridesman and several groomsmaids, so it's kind of complicated).
  • edited December 2011
    One was 40 and the other 70. They bought them at regular clothing stores a(maurices and avenue) and I bought their cardigans to go with them for 30 each.

• RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    edited December 2011
    I don't know.  My BM and MOH live in different states, and both are hours apart from me, so we're looking at chains that are accessible to them both.  My MOH has been lobbying for the more expensive chain from day one, and my BM says prices at both are in reach, and won't be a deciding factor for her.  Once they decide on a chain, they'll each be picking their own dress, at a price they're comfortable with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I asked my MOH to pick a dress she would wear again. In this day and age asking soemone to spend $200+ on a dress they are FORCED to buy just seems really wrong. MOH loves her dress and stayed within her own set budget. We are both happy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My girls got their dresses at Macy's for $60.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • steveandtasteveandta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just curious. My orginal plan was to go to Davids Bridal and have the girls pick their dresses in my color and in their price range. I have one of my bridesmaids that signed up for being in 5 weddings in the next year and she is complaining how all the dresses are ugly and overpriced and poor customer service. She already got into a fight with my consultant at a previous appt with another bride so I am kinda afraid of bringing her back. And she was trying to find a matching dress at macys which would not work because of the unique color.

She talked to me about using another place for the bridesmaid dresses and I found ones I liked on dessy.com but they are 170 bucks plus the shawl would be 200 bucks. I was not sure if that would be to outlandish to ask. my 2 bridesmaids like the idea but I need to talk to my other two bridesmaids. so i was just curious of what everyone else was spending. thats all.
    Photobucket invite1
  • edited December 2011
    I understand not wanting to be yet another mean bride with bad taste for the one bridesmaid who's doing this lots and hates all the other dresses, but you shouldn't make your other bridesmaids pay more and maybe wear something THEY don't like just to be nice to the one bridesmaid.
  • edited December 2011
    You really just need to check with your bridesmaids and see what they can pay and plan from there, mine all were comfortable with being around 100-150, and theirs were $125+alterations which all varied, but I think the most anyone paid was $20 for alterations.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • slpankuchslpankuch member
    edited December 2011
    $50 from JCPenney's. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• KaroPatKaroPat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it´s really nice all of you are checking with your bridesmaids.  When I was a bridesmaid, I just got a dress attached to a bill of $500.  Considering I had to fly halfway around the world to attend the wedding, the extra $500 wasn´t an easy add-on.

I just took my bridesmaids shopping and told them they could pick anything they wanted in red.  That way they chose what dress they ultimately bought, and the price thereof.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine spent 150 after they got $20 off from Davids Bridal because I bought my wedding dress there. My mom will also get $20 off her MOB dress there.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know for all. I let them pick whatever dress from wherever as long as it is black and long.
  • edited December 2011
    I fell in love with a specific Jim Hjelm tulle bridesmaid dress that was 265 before taxes/shipping/alterations. I knew I couldn' t ask my bridesmaids to pay that much and tried to find another less expensive dress but I had no luck. In the end, my fiance and I decided to pay for a portion of the dresses and shipping so it would be 165 each which is what they were all comfortable paying. They loved the dress almost as much as I did so it ended up working out perfectly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My maids are spending $42
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards