Missouri-St Louis

Location Suggestions for VERY small wedding

Hi ladies,

My fiance and I were orginally planning a destination wedding in Mexico and then a medium sized reception here for family/friends when we came back. Unfortunately my fiance has been very sick for over a year and we're realizing that this probably won't happen. We've scrapped our plans for an over the top wedding/reception and have decided that what we really want to do is get married with just our closest family and a few friends in a very small/intimate wedding and have a short reception afterwards (preferrably in the same place). I'm getting tons of  ideas from friends, but they don't seem to be getting my vision. Because of him being sick, we really can't plan a long wedding/reception as there is no telling if he'll have a good day or a bad day. What I don't want:

Courthouse wedding or a church wedding

What I do want:

Small (less than 50 people), option to have both ceremy/reception in one place, pretty, and hopefully affordable as he is on medical leave from work with no income coming in. One income (with two kids!) is not feasible to have an expensive/elaborate wedding. 

Any thoughts?  I am beyond frustrated in my search because I keep coming up with much larger venues than I would  like. This wedding will not be traditional, so we're open to looking outside of the box and looking at options that might not be typical for weddings.

Help! :)

Re: Location Suggestions for VERY small wedding

• I, too, am having a small wedding with about 40-50 guests attending.  I was having a difficult time finding a venue that wasn't too big and that my event got lost in!  I found the Piper Palm House in Tower Grove Park.  We are only having the reception there, but they do perform ceremonies there as well.  My wedding is on a Thursday & the price to rent the facility for the reception is a steal..$500.  Maybe you should consider a weekday to keep costs down...just a thought.  Good luck to you!
  • I moved to the Stl area last August. I'm a 24 year old stay at home mom and photographer! I've been doing portraits for quite awhile, but am breaking into the wedding industry. I'd be willing to work with you on photography services as a "portfolio building discount!". My website is www.pifphotography.com. Emai payitforwardphotography@yahoo.com. My name is Sam! The zoo has some great little spots, I can't imagine pricing being terrible. Also forest park has tons of outdoor locations, a gazebo, the fountainsbelow the art museum. Tower grove has the gazebo by the stone work and pond.
  • I've been to a wedding there....completely forgot about it! Thanks for the tip...will have to check it out.
  • Hi Sammyjo....Welcome to St. Louis! :)  I actually have a photographer friend of mine that will be taking our photos, but I appreciate the offer! :)
  • The Conservatory in St. Charles mo
  • Out here in Virginia, I went to a very small wedding/reception at a really nice restaurant that had an outside courtyard for the ceremony and dinner/drinks inside after.  It was super classy and lots of fun.  Maybe something like that would be an option?  I'm not sure of any specific restaurants in St. Louis, but I know there are lots of nice places on the hill that have banquet rooms.

Good luck!
  • Another option:

I'm having my ceremony and reception at the Magic Chef Mansion.  It can hold over 100 people, but if you wanted to do a small, intimate ceremony/reception, I think it would work perfectly too.  You could basically set up everything inside the mansion and have a nice dinner (she allows any caterer you want and you provide alcohol, if you want it).
  • Please consider Laumeier Sculpture Park if you're interested in an outdoor wedding www.laumeier.org. The grounds are gorgeous and the sculptures in the background make for a beautiful backdrop for pictures, etc.
    I handle PR for the park and would be happy to put you in touch with the event coordinator.

Please get in touch if you're interested,

Suzanne Sierra
    314.398-1391
    ssierra@laumeier.org
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_location-suggestions-for-very-small-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:87Discussion:03a1c7a2-0e52-4ff3-af19-769b61debcc8Post:dd4a2b45-da40-4490-9db0-2a5714c9025b">Re: Location Suggestions for VERY small wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I, too, am having a small wedding with about 40-50 guests attending.  I was having a difficult time finding a venue that wasn't too big and that my event got lost in!  I found the Piper Palm House in Tower Grove Park.  We are only having the reception there, but they do perform ceremonies there as well.  My wedding is on a Thursday & the price to rent the facility for the reception is a steal..$500.  Maybe you should consider a weekday to keep costs down...just a thought.  Good luck to you!
    Posted by eanelso[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I too am having a wedding next June at the Piper Palm House in Tower Grove park. We were told they would charge us for 60 people no matter how few we have. We may end up only having 30-35. How are you getting only 40 or 50 people? Please let me know, thanks so much!!

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards